PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Potion errors

Biggus
2022-04-08, 03:42 PM
In the Completely Dysfunctional Handbook [3.5] (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?267985-Completely-Dysfunctional-Handbook-3-5) thread, in the "General Categories" section, it says:

Potion table: Full of entries which were correct in 3.0 but aren't quite right in 3.5

The thread doesn't expand on this or link to a discussion of the details as far as I can tell. The only ones I've noticed are Enlarge Person and Reduce Person inexplicably costing 250GP, is there a list somewhere?

ShurikVch
2022-04-08, 04:11 PM
In the Epic Level Handbook, NPC Paladin have:

Potions: 2 cure serious wounds, flying, tongues, wisdom.
NPC Ranger have the "Potion of hide"
Pretty sure - neither of those actually exist in the RAW

Also, I'm absolutely sure some list included a potion of Shield (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm) (spell which is unsuitable for potions)

Arcanist
2022-04-08, 04:53 PM
Also, I'm absolutely sure some list included a potion of Shield (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shield.htm) (spell which is unsuitable for potions)

Yep. Wyrmlord Saarvith from RHoD has a Potion of Mirror Image :smallconfused:
Along with Potions of Shield, Potions of Mirror Image seem relatively common for some reason. Dura ir’Matellan from Eyes of the Lich Queen has one.
I feel like pouring over the various sourcebooks to see how many examples there are of invalid spells in potions. If nothing else, I am glad that if they were going to be picking invalid spells to put into potions, they selected okay personal buff spells that, if you could, you would want as a potion.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-08, 05:25 PM
Could one make a potion of shield or mirror image from a spell stored in a spell-storing weapon? It's no longer just castable on the original caster, after all.

Biggus
2022-04-08, 06:05 PM
I assumed they were talking about the potion table in the DMG but I might be wrong...

flappeercraft
2022-04-09, 03:10 AM
Could one make a potion of shield or mirror image from a spell stored in a spell-storing weapon? It's no longer just castable on the original caster, after all.

Not entirely sure on this one, but I remember there being some sort of artifact that let you convert scrolls into potions.

Edit: A brief forum dive leads me to believe this was Gremma’s Cauldron from Expedition to undermountain. Not an artifact and its only 5000gp. AFB so can’t check if it works on illegal spells for potions.

ShurikVch
2022-04-09, 05:05 AM
The main issue with the potion of Shield was not the range (that can be altered in a number of ways), but the fact the resulting force shield is controlled by the caster; the caster is the potion's creator - not drinker...

Hua
2022-04-09, 06:31 PM
Breaking the rule on not allowing potions that are designated personal is a mistake, even if you come up with some justification of changing the range.
Most of those are like that for a reason.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-09, 07:16 PM
Breaking the rule on not allowing potions that are designated personal is a mistake, even if you come up with some justification of changing the range.
Most of those are like that for a reason.Generally that reason is, "non-casters can't have nice things."

Seward
2022-04-09, 08:14 PM
Enlarge and Reduce potions had to be level 5 in 3.0 to have full effect and that's why they are 5x as expensive in 3.5.

In Living Greyhawk, all those fighters who wanted to go large without help consoled themselves with the fact that magic-mart (ie dmg tables of consumables with value <= 750gp) potions at least lasted longer, and tended to save them for when they were likely to fight a couple three battles back to back. Getting a cert for a level 1 enlarge potion was actually a pretty exciting thing, for those who wanted to use them more frequently (and in later campaign days might have invested in the Delay potion feat just because they got such access...my monk was one such character, it was his L15 feat....).

Agreed there was a weird tendency to equip NPCs with illegal potions, with Shield and Mirror Image being among the most common. Some of those potions became Elixirs in 3.5 (consumable wondrous items). That's where potions of hide, etc ended up.