PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Art of Answering Divinations

Melphizard
2022-04-08, 05:19 PM
Hello folks! I have multiple players in my group with divination and they're typically hungry for all the information they could siphon about questions they find. The text reads as follows:

"You ask a single question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity to occur within 7 days. The DM offers a truthful reply. The reply might be a short phrase, a cryptic rhyme, or an omen."

In short, how do you answer your player's divinations? Do you give a short answer? Give a cryptic answer in the form of a Stanza?

Jervis
2022-04-08, 05:27 PM
Hello folks! I have multiple players in my group with divination and they're typically hungry for all the information they could siphon about questions they find. The text reads as follows:

"You ask a single question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity to occur within 7 days. The DM offers a truthful reply. The reply might be a short phrase, a cryptic rhyme, or an omen."

In short, how do you answer your player's divinations? Do you give a short answer? Give a cryptic answer in the form of a Stanza?

I usually ban spells like that because i’m not a fan of spells that just force the gods to give you an answer to something. If I allow it I usually answer in the form of something happening around them like lightning striking a tree if they ask if attacking a fortress of 400 goblin wizards is a good idea or the clouds forming into the shape of a holy symbol or something if it’s a good idea.

Tawmis
2022-04-08, 05:40 PM

Depends typically on the question being asked. If it's something that needs to be uncovered through story, it's cryptic.
If it's "There's a castle over run by goblins - is it a good idea to go in through the sewers?"
I might have the deity reply, "The sewers do indeed offer what appears to be a safer entrance, but beware what lurks and can not be seen."
(Indicating a green slime, or gelatenous cube, etc., just to make it fun and add some tension - even if such a creature doesn't exist in there - it could be that the party never ran into it)

Psyren
2022-04-08, 05:51 PM
I love divinations because they're a way to give a hint in-universe that makes the player feel clever for prepping the spell, and a way for the party to do recon much faster than a lengthy solo "scouting" sequence with the rogue or ranger. Best of all, deciphering a cryptic or funny riddle engages the whole party, not just the caster.

MarkVIIIMarc
2022-04-08, 06:17 PM
Its a thing if I don't know the answer as DM!

And its not a bad excuse to call a restroom break and think up a reasonable answer to a random important question.

Also answer with a, 'at this moment therd are no dragons there" or something to hurry the pace along.

Elder_Basilisk
2022-04-08, 06:29 PM
A good DM must answer in Iambic Pentameter, or a haiku. Freestyle rap or limerick are also acceptable but only for chaotic deities.

Sparky McDibben
2022-04-08, 06:30 PM

Mythic Odysseys of Theros has a whole chapter about this question.

Lunali
2022-04-08, 10:41 PM
A good DM must answer in Iambic Pentameter, or a haiku. Freestyle rap or limerick are also acceptable but only for chaotic deities.

I'm personally a fan of giving an answer in a form with a strong scheme like this, but with one thing completely wrong.