PDA

View Full Version : Does Bull Rush stop movement?

SangoProduction
2022-04-09, 11:01 AM
Say you are using Bull Rush on AoO, instead of trip, for some reason. You manage to push them back, as they were walking through your space.

Do they get to keep walking, after being moved?

the_tick_rules
2022-04-09, 11:09 AM
Not based on any rule I could find but I feel it would stop their movement.

Jack_Simth
2022-04-09, 11:19 AM
Say you are using Bull Rush on AoO, instead of trip, for some reason. You manage to push them back, as they were walking through your space.

Do they get to keep walking, after being moved?

Not addressed in RAW as far as I know.

Does an American Football player who takes a hit (but not get tackled), tend to keep running on a slightly altered course, or stop for a few seconds to recover inertia? I don't watch it much, but seems like it's a comperable real-world example.

Gruftzwerg
2022-04-09, 11:56 AM
Normally you may not Bull Rush as an AoO:

You can make a bull rush as a standard action (an attack) or as part of a charge.

While an AoO is an "attack", it is not a "standard action attack".

So unless you have some special ability to enable you to Bull Rush as part of an AoO it doesn't work. ANd if you have an special ability that allows it, hopefully it provides the rules for this situation. ;)

edit: you could at best prepare an action to bull rush in response to something, but that has its own rules.

ben-zayb
2022-04-09, 12:57 PM
In general, neither Bull Rush nor AoO causes interruption of movement.

There are certain kinds of movement that explicitly require moving in a straight line, which could then be affected by Bull Rush if the creature gets displaced. But simply moving your speed doesn't have such requirement.

Troacctid
2022-04-09, 02:55 PM
You can't actually bull rush as an AoO, unless you have some weird feat for it or something.

SangoProduction
2022-04-09, 05:06 PM
Well, then, readied action bull rush for after someone's moved 5 feet.

Gruftzwerg
2022-04-09, 06:24 PM
Well, then, readied action bull rush for after someone's moved 5 feet.

Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

He can still complete his move with his remaining movement for the turn (if he has enough left).

Paragon
2022-04-10, 02:17 AM
Yup, to sum up :
* An AoO is an attack, not a standard action
* A readied action lets the target continue whatever movement they have left but as a DM I rule that the number of feets he deviated from his original trajectory count toward his total movement.

Also a player of mine has a lot of fun with the Cometary Collision feat if you go that route

GoodbyeSoberDay
2022-04-14, 02:21 PM
I don't see why forced movement in the middle of a move action would prevent the full use of someone's move action barring specific text.

As far as bull rushing on an AoO is concerned, Knockback (RoS) isn't that obscure of a feat.