PDA

View Full Version : Cure Wounds and Glamour Bard

solidork
2022-04-10, 10:50 AM
I'm looking to play a Glamour Bard in an upcoming game, and I'm curious what people think about potentially taking Cure Wounds over/in addition to Healing Word because of how it works with Mantle of Inspiration. If I can use my action to heal someone who is downed, then I can use my bonus action to give them additional temporary HP -and- let them stand up and potentially move somewhere safer.

I might have to move myself into danger to accomplish this, but I'd be able to move right back out without provoking attacks with the Mantle.

It might not be worth it, but it might make me consider Mass Cure Wounds at a later level.

stoutstien
2022-04-10, 11:04 AM
I usually view CW as superior on most bards due to being bonus action heavy and glamour double-downs on that. Saying that, building around dieing isn't the best options. Mantle is a great tool at preventing or softening damage already so it doesn't need much help.

Keltest
2022-04-10, 11:09 AM
I think it really depends on what other members of your party you have. If you have a dedicated healer, its probably not the best use of your action. If you're the only one who can get any big heals, go for it.

Merudo
2022-04-10, 11:42 AM
Neither, get Aid instead. You can use it to bring up to three folks up.

EDIT: this assumes the Bard expended list from Tasha's.

stoutstien
2022-04-10, 11:54 AM
Neither, get Aid instead. You can use it to bring up to three folks up.

Can be worth it but takes a magic secret slot. Assuming the additional list from Tasha isn't in play then yea that's probably the biggest bang for spell known.

Frogreaver
2022-04-10, 12:24 PM
I'm looking to play a Glamour Bard in an upcoming game, and I'm curious what people think about potentially taking Cure Wounds over/in addition to Healing Word because of how it works with Mantle of Inspiration. If I can use my action to heal someone who is downed, then I can use my bonus action to give them additional temporary HP -and- let them stand up and potentially move somewhere safer.

I might have to move myself into danger to accomplish this, but I'd be able to move right back out without provoking attacks with the Mantle.

It might not be worth it, but it might make me consider Mass Cure Wounds at a later level.

I like this concept. I'd just suggest that you probably want more AC to stay 1 move away from the melee characters in melee that need your assistance. That's close enough that enemies can easily come for you if they want. Also being that close to melee really means you also need to boost your concentration. So I'm thinking medium armor feat and resilient con as your first 2 ASI's. (Or ideally variant human for 1).

I don't think you'll be as good as a life cleric at healing/temp hp generation (the channel divinity is really strong), but you won't be far behind and you have better control options.

Dork_Forge
2022-04-12, 01:20 PM
The Glamour Bard in one of my games regretted not taking Cure Wounds and ended up taking it at 14th level instead, I think there's a solid case for both.