PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.P Mid-Level Magic Item Suggestions

Techwarrior
2022-04-11, 03:17 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions for cool magical items to reward my party with over the next story arc. The party is currently at approximate WBL for their level and I'd like to find 1-2 items for each party member to keep their WBL about right. I'm not a huge slave for these figures, particularly if a listed item is over or undercosted.

The party in question is 6th level, with about 16k each in useful items. I'm looking to plan item drops to about 8 or 9 so am looking for about 17k-30k in items.

Items should be interesting first and foremost, but functional as well. We are playing Pathfinder with 3.5 elements being interchangeably stolen. I am the DM for the group and am not afraid of hand waving or house ruling. As some of the items show here, I've house-ruled, fudged numbers on some items, etc.

I'm also not looking to just have someone copy/paste the list of necessary items [tm]. I'm aware that I could just drop a few stat boosters or similar and call it a day. I'm instead looking for cool and exciting items that would be fun for the party.

Here are the party details, assume these items are not to be factored into their next kick of items unless something is explicitly mentioned:

Dwarven Warblade, fights with an ancestral Warhammer and shield. Master blacksmith.

Items:
+1 Blinding Mithral Shield (5 FR).
+1 Corrosive Warhammer (additional flavor properties)

One of the planned things I have is to add the Earth Elemental Power property to this characters main weapon. These eats a lot of her budget as we go from +2 to +3.
Archer focused Eldritch Scoundrel. Leans into a ton of rogue tropes.

Items:
Cloak of Fiery Vanishing (5 FR).
+1 Cruel Longbow
Gwaeron's Boots (+2 Dexterity item)
Dwarven Cleric, very much wants to play the Healer/Tank role.

Items:
+1 Shocking Heavy Pick
Full Plate
+1 Heavy Steel Shield of Arrow Catching

I had planned for some Boots of Striding and Springing here.
Gnome Plague Oracle. Plays the utility/buffing/debuffing role. Has a Wild Cohort Riding Dog.

Items:
+1 Black Dragonscale Breastplate
+1 Black Dragonscale Barding
Charmed Crossbow (+1 Crossbow that uses Charisma for Attack and damage)
+1 Flaming Bite on Riding Dog.
Tiefling Inquisitor of Pelor. Standard Power attacking two hander type.

Items:
Blade of Binding
Inquisitor's Gloves (reslotted Baldric's Bane)

remetagross
2022-04-11, 06:26 AM
Alright, here are some mid-price, incredibly fun items for, say, the Rogue, but for any creative PC really.

-Immovable Rod (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm) (5k). Or even a pair of them. Just clear out first with the PCs if they are standing on a rotating planet.

-Marvelous pigments (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm) (4k). Just create about anything, though this is an item of limited use.

-Any weapon with the Rusting (+1 equivalent) enhancement (min. 8k). Super useful to bypass a lot of out-of-combat problems. It can be a party-wide utility item.

For the warblade gal, a Greater Crystal of Return (MiC, 4k) on the shield. Normally you'd need the shield to be a +3 one for that, but let's handwave this: the shield is now a Returning one, so that's fun and gives some ranged capacity to the warblade. Bonus: do not tell the player what the crystal does at once.

For the cleric: A (greater) Glyph Seal (MiC, 1k or 4k). Store a spell of up to 2nd-level (5th-level for the greater version), and set it up on any surface with trigger conditions like that of a Glyph of Warding (https://dnd.arkalseif.info/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/glyph-of-warding--2326/index.html). Either a buff or healing spell you seal on, say, your armor gauntlet to heal an ally in an emergency, or a debuff you set on the threshold of the door of the villain, etc.

For the oracle: Spellguard rings (Complete Mage, 4k). Put one on yourself and the other one on the warblade. Now all the debuff spells he casts do not affect the warblade anymore.

For the inquisitor: Greatreach bracers (MiC, 2k). 3/day as a swift action your reach increases by 5ft for a whole round.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-12, 10:49 AM
How about a Tiny riverine +1 morphing/sizing dagger (looks and functions as a utility knife but can be used as a dagger) that is cursed to only turn into non-weapon items. Pair it with a fancy-looking Tiny adamantine +1 morphing/sizing/aptitude dagger that functions normally. Neither functions as anything other than masterwork items (tool and weapon respectively) if they are separated by more than 10'.

The first is worth about 13k, whereas the latter would be worth about 23k, although the cost would be reduced a bit for the curse and the pairing requirements, I think.

Seward
2022-04-13, 12:02 AM
For the warblade - Sunlight enchantment (3k) on his blinding mithril shield...relatively cheap, stays in theme on the shield and allows you WBL to do that weapon upgrade you wanted. So I stayed pretty cheap with this and the other 2 suggestions.

Traveler's Anytool 250gp but is basically a masterwork tool for anything, including any blacksmithing tool he might want. For your Anvil you may need a bag of holding or something. Note that crafting skills are untrained and if he has a decent base intelligence he could do basic crafting of all sorts of things untrained with this, especially if it involves metal or stone via stonecunning bonuses.

Restful Armor Crystal 500gp, never has to take off his beloved fullplate even to sleep.

For the rogue - Blindfold of True Darkness (9k) for blindsight 30'. No visual effect can stop your precision damage, not fog, not invisibility, not leomund's hut, nothing, and it is ok for navigating when you can't otherwise see although you may miss some finer details that you could spot with something like darkvision. Of course it does make you actually blind beyond 30', but that is what uncanny dodge is for. And maybe a decent perception(listen) score. The tradeoff between vision and blindsight can be an interesting decision point/tradeoff for a roguish character and this item isn't easily duplicated with a buff from a party member or UMDing a scroll or whatever.

For the Cleric - I dig your boots of striding and springing, as a healer-tank is going to be frustrated when everybody else is moving at 30' and outrunning their healer-tank. If you add Translocation to it (2/day swift action teleport 10' require verbal command, line of sight and line of effect) by MIC crafting rules it costs only an extra 2700gp and makes it even better.

That said, consider in addition or instead a Transposer cloak This is a wonderful item for somebody who sees as a major role getting a party member out of trouble and getting themself into it. For 6k 3/day you can swift(command) and swap places with any creature (willing is automatic, unwilling is dc13 will save, so don't waste it)

For the Oracle A set of several low level Pages of Spell Knowledge that add spells known that might be flavorful, useful but not essential enough for the Oracle to pick on levelup as a spell known. For a spontaneous utility caster, such spells are way more likely to be used, as they are more "hammers" to try to apply to situations and usually you feel great when your obscure spell saves the day. As GM if this is the kind of Oracle that has a destiny, you could hint that ALL of these spells are destined to be important, then have the fun of watching your player try to figure out if THIS is the encounter where one of the new spells will save the day. You don't actually have to have a plan, a creative player will usually find a way, but if they don't you can always tailor an encounter or two to help things along.

For the Inquisitor Hm, Tiefling of Pelor. Wonder how that came about. With greatsword proficiency (Pelor favored weapon is a staff...). Ok, this dude has a slashing magic weapon and can use judgements to add alignment DR penetration, but is going to struggle with material DR (or blunt or piercing or fighting underwater or reach) so...

Scabbard of Many Blades 5k move action to swap weapon in hand with weapon in sheath (swift if you have quickdraw). Stores up to 4 2h weapons, including polearms (it is the only extra-D space to do that well).

In addition to the existing greatsword....I'm assuming that's the only non-simple proficiency, swap with a better martial weapon as appropriate

MW Silver Heavy Mace (silver blunt doesn't take -1 to damage in Pathfinder, for devils and lycanthropes. With judgements greater devil, lich or vampires DR can also be defeated)

MW Cold Iron Longspear (for demons and fey or fighting underwater or any situation where reach is helpful, again judgements can beat greater demon DR with this weapon. The move action to swap still lets you brace against a charge with your standard)

Adamantine Greatsword (a backup weapon for the favored weapon, useful on most constructs too, but also a giant can opener, tree chopper, Stoneskin penetrator or whatever)

Total cost about 10k. Ok yeah, it is a literal golfbag of weapons, complete with 4-irons, putters, etc, but it makes 2h combat a bit more tactical, especially when mixed in with the effects judgements can provide. If you toss in 4 least crystals of Return (300gp each) the Inquisitor can swap weapons as a swift action (as those crystals simulate quickdraw without the feat), eliminating much of the opportunity cost of swapping weapons, although it does compete with activating judgements so it isn't always a perfect choice.

You might not want to add crystals of return if you play that you can't downgrade a swift to a move action (sometimes swapping weapons with move and adding a judgement with swift and using just a standard might be a superior option to sticking with an existing weapon+judgement+full attack or swapping to another weapon+full attack). An interesting choice might be providing only 1-2 crystals of return and having the player decide which weapons get the crystal and which don't.