PDA

View Full Version : Fast Hands Artificer Concept

Azara5
2022-04-11, 02:21 PM
Hey playgrounders, I’m currently theorycrafting a rogue 3 / artificer X multiclass that utilizes fast hands in order to be able to use magic items as a bonus action. What are some good items that I can use which are also compatible with fast hands?

stoutstien
2022-04-11, 02:37 PM
Hey playgrounders, I’m currently theorycrafting a rogue 3 / artificer X multiclass that utilizes fast hands in order to be able to use magic items as a bonus action. What are some good items that I can use which are also compatible with fast hands?

The SSI is the big one.

Quietus
2022-04-11, 02:38 PM

I'm writing on my lunch so can't go too in depth on specific items, but do keep in mind that Thief rogue can take the "Use an item" action as a bonus action. This is technically distinct from "use a magic item". Definitely consult your DM.

ProsecutorGodot
2022-04-11, 02:43 PM
I'm writing on my lunch so can't go too in depth on specific items, but do keep in mind that Thief rogue can take the "Use an item" action as a bonus action. This is technically distinct from "use a magic item". Definitely consult your DM.

Just quoting this to emphasize its importance, and I'll include the relevant DMG text to make it clear:

Activating some magic items requires a user to do something in particular, such as holding the item and uttering a command word, reading the item if it is a scroll, or drinking it if it is a potion. The description of each item category or individual item details how an item is activated. Certain items use one or more of the following rules related to their activation.

If an item requires an action to activate, that action isn’t a function of the Use an Object action, so a feature such as the rogue’s Fast Hands can’t be used to activate the item.
Pretty explicitly not allowed for magic items.

It's not clear if SSI follows the same restriction though, so Stoutstein is likely correct in saying that SSI will work.

LordShade
2022-04-11, 03:59 PM
Separately, I believe the new Homunculus infusion more or less replicates the functionality of Fast Hands in that you use your bonus action to order the Homunculus to take a proper action like Use an Item. The image of the character is obviously different, though.

Jak
2022-04-12, 08:45 AM
Separately, I believe the new Homunculus infusion more or less replicates the functionality of Fast Hands in that you use your bonus action to order the Homunculus to take a proper action like Use an Item. The image of the character is obviously different, though.

Holy **** you're right

Never connected the dots on that.

I wonder if that would be one of the keys to making a battle alchemist a viable option for dpr...

It could even be a mechanical type glove or bracer. That'd be rad.

Oh! Then you could use a melee cantrip along with something from your spell storing item.

Edit:
On topic:
Caltrops, alchemist's fire, acid, oil, tinderbox, ball bearings.

Given, about half of those are for setting things on fire.

If your dm is down with the spell storing item, then catapult is a cool spell to be able to cast as a bonus action.

Psyren
2022-04-12, 09:04 AM
1) Artificer DPR is plenty "viable" without item-using homunculi.

2) You can use items without tying up your bonus action by getting a familiar (Magic Initiate etc.) Because most artificers are so SAD, feats are easy to pick up.

Jak
2022-04-12, 09:23 AM
1) Artificer DPR is plenty "viable" without item-using homunculi.

2) You can use items without tying up your bonus action by getting a familiar (Magic Initiate etc.) Because most artificers are so SAD, feats are easy to pick up.

I meant specifically for alchemists.

As far as the familiar, that would be a way to do it. I'm just not a fan. It's too much chocolate in my peanut butter.

Slipjig
2022-04-12, 09:56 AM
You don't have to spend a feat: you can pick up a familiar with a Spellwrought Tattoo. I mean, check with your DM, because it's some hard-core shenanigans, but it's RAW.

I'm not sure what your chocolate/peanut butter comment means, but if you are worried about a familiar being "too wizard-y", you could probably re-flavor it into something that fits your concept better. Depending on your alignment and how you fluff your effects, I'd say a familiar that took the form of an imp, a spider monkey, an elemental spirit, or a clockwork being could all be appropriately "artificer-y".

SamsDisciple
2022-04-12, 04:50 PM
I am actually working on something very similar (though that's because right or wrong my DM allows acid to be used like a normal attack, deal damage like an improvised weapon plus the effect of the acid.) Originally I was playing as a fighter with the throwing weapon fighting style and eventually dual wielding vials of acid but due to the party having no sources of healing and the person who was going to play a cleric pulling out of the campaign I am allowed to ret con my guy into an artificer for at least a small amount of healing. Now I have so many things wanting my bonus action though that it's hard to decide what I actually want to do! Off hand attack, homunculus (or defender if I go Battle Smith), healing word if I go Alchemist, cannon for Artillerist, adding in rogue for swift hands seems like overkill at this point. My bigger problem is that even making the items myself it takes alot of time/money unless I spend an infusion on and alchemy jug.

Psyren
2022-04-12, 05:01 PM
I meant specifically for alchemists.

Fair enough, sorry about that.

As far as the familiar, that would be a way to do it. I'm just not a fan. It's too much chocolate in my peanut butter.

Wait, is that bad? *stares in Reeses*

stoutstien
2022-04-15, 07:48 AM
One thing to keep in mind is the fast hands + SSI opens up options for self only spells. the armorer bring able to drop a bonus action mirror image for example.

Silpharon
2022-04-18, 03:12 PM
One thing to keep in mind is the fast hands + SSI opens up options for self only spells. the armorer bring able to drop a bonus action mirror image for example.
Yeah that's pretty clutch, a bit better than Haste action mirror image (trading a Homunculus Servant bonus action attack with a PC action attack).

If you're a Mark of Warding dwarf, you could cast Armor of Agathys as a bonus action from a SSI (though at 1st level, mirror image is probably better to keep up).

Neither of these though would I find to be worth a 3 level dip.