PDA

View Full Version : Rewriting Classes for 3.5 to be 3.75 Epic 6

tricktroller
2022-04-12, 11:47 AM
So I've spent a lot of time rewriting classes to be more fun, have more class features, be a bit more balanced, and overall to extend the life of my favorite version of D&D which is 3.5.

I've been running 3.5 D&D for a very very long time, so I've seen a lot of the downfalls of the game and have recently (The past 4 years) been running pretty much exclusively in Epic 6 and my players adore it.

So I've been rewriting the classes and I'm done with a lot of them and wanted to share what I have with the community in case there are still others who love 3.5 and E6.

Please leave any feedback or comments below! I love to hear critiques, just be gentle, this has been a lot of work and I might have missed some things or accidentally given too much/too little power to classes.

tricktroller
2022-04-12, 11:51 AM
Here is the Google Drive link to the folder that has all of the class rewrites and some of them are being reworked again.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Zg0p8HlIu6TPcpZLSyv9DYdvliY2QxsQ?usp=sharing

Completed updates* are Wizard, Sorcerer, Bard, Ranger, Fighter, Barbarian, and Hexblade(Which I shamelessly stole pieces from other writers).
*Bard, Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Factotum, Fighter, Hexblade, Knight, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Soulknife, Swashbuckler, Wizard as of 4/13/22
*Bard, Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Factotum, Fighter, Hexblade, Knight, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Scout, Sorcerer, Soulknife, Swashbuckler, Warmage, Wizard as of 4/19/22
The rest of the classes are incomplete or are first drafts of my revision and need to be updated to the Template design so I make sure they all have similar growth and class features.

tricktroller
2022-04-12, 11:57 AM
Also to go along with my rewrites and to keep characters open to lots of options I have created a Class Additions list that my players can pick from.
They get to pick one of the options for their class.

*Barbarians
Gain maneuvers like a Warblade with access to Desert Wind, Iron Heart, and Stone Dragon
OR
Steal Spell as Spellthief but on critical hits, not sneak attack. Reduce damage multiplier by 1 to steal a spell. May spend 2 spell levels to enter a Rage.

*Bards
Skald - Gain d8 hit points, good fort saves, and full base attack. Gain Dr/Cold Iron equal to your level, stacks with other sources. +1 spell per day per level.
OR
Gain access to Crusader maneuvers White Raven, Setting Sun, and Devoted Spirit. May use with a whip.

Beguiler
¾ BAB, d8 Hp, prof Medium armor and shields, gain 1 exotic or martial weapon prof
OR
10+Int skills, High Reflex, Evasion @4th level, Sneak attack as rogue ½ level

Crusader
Marshal - Gain Auras like a marshal, +1 minor and Major Aura at 1st level gained.
OR
Cast spells like Paladin, +1 spell per spell level, per day.

Dragon Shaman
Full BAB, gain maneuvers as a Crusader with Desert Wind, Tiger Claw, and Stone Dragon
OR
Gain Marshal minor auras and grant move action, Gain paladin spellcasting and aura of courage. Draconic aura’s are increased by 2.(Not marshal auras)

Duskblade
Gain 2x spells known per level. Gain Wizard spells per day.
OR
Add one Wizard school list to your spell list, gain fighter bonus feats.

Factotum
D10 Hp, 10+Int Skills, Full Base Attack, All High Saves, bonus feat at 1st.
OR
Regain Inspiration Points in combat once per encounter, including Arcane Dilettante.

*Fighter
Gains maneuvers like a Warblade with access to three schools chosen at 1st level
OR
Marshal - Gain Auras like a marshal (Use Str vs Cha), 6+Int Skills, high Will save.

*Hexblade
Change skill points to 8+Int, Gain a feat you qualify for @1st.
OR
Gain Lay on Hands @2nd, Remove Curse 1/week @6th

*Knight
Gain Warblade maneuvers with access to Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, and White Raven
OR
Target up to 2 opponents at a time with your Challenge. Also gain Agile Shield Fighter @1st

*Monk
Gain Sword Sage maneuvers with access to Diamond Mind, Desert Wind, and Setting Sun

Gain full BAB, gain a bonus feat at 3rd and 5th. Armor value for Unarmored and Armored increased by 1.

Paladin
Gain Warblade maneuvers with access to Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, and White Raven
OR
Change spellcasting to spirit shaman -1 spell per day per level, add Conj. (Healing) spells to list

Psychic Warrior
Double the number of power points gained per day (Including bonus points) and number of powers known. Recover 1 Power point per hit on an enemy.
OR
Change to full base attack, change Will save to high, HD to D12, Skills to 6+Int. Gain 2 Psionic Mantles’ abilities. Add powers to known powers list

*Ranger
Gain Swordsage maneuvers with access to Tiger Claw, Desert Wind, Shadow Hand, and Stone Dragon
OR
Change spellcasting to spirit shaman -1 spell per day per level, add summon nature’s ally to list

Reinforcer Custom Class Transmuter version of Warmage
Gain D8 HD, Full BAB, quick cast as a duskblade.
OR
Marshal - Gain Auras like a marshal (Use Wis vs Cha), 6+Int Skills, high Will save.

*Rogue
Gain Sword Sage maneuvers with access to Tiger Claw, Shadow Hand, and Diamond Mind
OR
Gain Invocations as a Warlock of your level. No eldritch blast. Also gain Detect magic at will.

*Scout
Gain Sword Sage maneuvers with access to Tiger Claw, Shadow Hand, and Desert Wind
OR
Increase BAB to full. Gain Animal companion as a Druid of your level, Gain wildshape as Druid+3 Aka wildshape 1/day at 2nd level etc.Still restricted by current HD.

*Soulknife
Expend Psionic focus to regain all of your Power Points. Gain Hidden Talent at 1st level.
OR
Swordsage Maneuvers with access to Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, and Setting Sun

Spellthief
Gain Sword Sage maneuvers with access to Shadow Hand, and any two other schools.
OR
Gain wizard spellcasting -1 spell per level, spells known drawn from Abj, Div, Enc, Ill, and Trans, cast off and bonus spells from Int.

*Swashbuckler
Gain maneuvers like Sword Sage with access to Desert Wind, Shadow Hand, and Diamond Mind.
OR
Add Int modifier to armor class and saves at 1st. Pick one of these:
1: 2nd Evasion, 4th Uncanny Dodge, 6th Imp. Uncanny Dodge
2: 1st Inspire Courage as bard, 5th Fight to the death as Dread pirate 1/day, use Int

Sword Sage
Gain any one school of maneuvers, gain fighter bonus feat at 2nd, and every 4 levels after.
OR
Gain the ability to make a full round action after moving up to one full move. Increase BAB to Full.

Warblade
Pick; Rage, Favored Enemy, Monk Unarmed Damage(And IUAS), or Skirmish, gain as your level.
OR
Add Int modifier to armor class at 1st and saves at 2nd, 3rd Debilitating Aura (Paladin of Slaughter)

Warlock
8+Int skills, Skirmish as scout, +1 Invocation at each level of Invocation. Least, Lesser, Etc
OR
Change HP to D8, Fort save to High, Full BAB, Channel eldritch blast through any weapon as a standard action. (Ranged or Melee) @6th may channel Eldritch blast as part of a full attack action.(including TWF)

Warmage
@1st Weapon Focus Ray spell, @3rd ray spells crit on 19-20, @6th Weapon Spec Ray spells, @8th Improved Crit Ray spells. ¾ BAB 6+int skills per level.
OR
@1st Combat Casting, Armored Mage Heavy and Tower Shield. @2nd increase DC of spell by 2 if threatened @3rd cast touch spell on AoO, @6th AoO spell is not consumed on AoO. @8th AoO spells are Empowered.

Cleric, Druid, Psion, Wizard, Sorcerer
Eclectic -Pick one of the following class features, gain it as a character of half your level. And pick one of the numbered options.

· • Rage, cast while raging
· • Sneak Attack or Skirmish
· • Favored Enemy
· • Smite Evil
· • Monk unarmed Damage and IUAS
· • Gain +1 to casting Stat at 1st and 5th
· • Mindblade

1) Gain +1 Hp per level, 2 skills/level
2)+2 skills/level, Increase HD by 1 size
3) Gain full BAB
4)+2 skills/level, increase BAB by one step
5)+4 skills/level, high Fort
6) Gain bonus feats @1st,3rd, and 6th
7) Increase BAB +1 and HD one size

4/20/22 Update to Dragon Shaman class additions now that Dragon Shaman has been rewritten

liquidformat
2022-04-12, 01:32 PM
Seems pretty cool overall. I worry that some of your changes make some of the classes too similar which I always dislike, for example Barbarian with warblade maneuvers and warblade with rage seem like pretty much the same class with slightly different skill lists.

With Paladin and Ranger are you saying give them spirit shaman daily spell progression -1 for each spell level, or give them spirit shaman spell casting and spells known -1 spell per level and spirit shaman spell list instead of paladin/ranger? Same question for spellthief.

I really like a lot of the alternate class features and in my redisgn have just added a lot of them without trading class features. For example on Barbarian I just added Trapkiller, or on swashbuckler I added arcane stunt, shield of blades and swift and deadly. They don't really change the power level of these classes but add a decent amount of flavor.

You might look at adding an arcane archer variant to warmage and adding Arcane Channeling rays and area of effect spells to ranged weapons at either level 3 and touch spells at 6. It doesn't really change the power level at all but is a very nice pro archer variant which you don't see.

The changes to hexblade seem really underwhelming compared to most of the others, hexblade is already very weak and this does little to boost it. Here is my shot at cleaning up hexblade (https://docs.google.com/document/d/11iILDH03wZD6dyOt77Dj50pAxmlfsCgL6uHfDaeYv9E/edit?usp=sharing) might be helpful.

I also typically like to expand the spell lists for a lot of the classes.

tricktroller
2022-04-12, 01:38 PM
Seems pretty cool overall. I worry that some of your changes make some of the classes too similar which I always dislike, for example Barbarian with warblade maneuvers and warblade with rage seem like pretty much the same class with slightly different skill lists.

With Paladin and Ranger are you saying give them spirit shaman daily spell progression -1 for each spell level, or give them spirit shaman spell casting and spells known -1 spell per level and spirit shaman spell list instead of paladin/ranger? Same question for spellthief.

I really like a lot of the alternate class features and in my redisgn have just added a lot of them without trading class features. For example on Barbarian I just added Trapkiller, or on swashbuckler I added arcane stunt, shield of blades and swift and deadly. They don't really change the power level of these classes but add a decent amount of flavor.

You might look at adding an arcane archer variant to warmage and adding Arcane Channeling rays and area of effect spells to ranged weapons at either level 3 and touch spells at 6. It doesn't really change the power level at all but is a very nice pro archer variant which you don't see.

The changes to hexblade seem really underwhelming compared to most of the others, hexblade is already very weak and this does little to boost it. Here is my shot at cleaning up hexblade (https://docs.google.com/document/d/11iILDH03wZD6dyOt77Dj50pAxmlfsCgL6uHfDaeYv9E/edit?usp=sharing) might be helpful.

I also typically like to expand the spell lists for a lot of the classes.

Thank you for the reply! In the second comment there is a link to my Google drive which has the full class rewrites individually written up. I redid entire classes, kind of from the ground up.

The Class Additions are in Addition to those rewrites.

So for instance, Barbarian's have very little in common with the ones out of the PHB now except that they rage and have uncanny dodge, but their rage grants them +10, divided as they choose, between Strength, Dex, and Con each time they rage.

Blackhawk748
2022-04-12, 03:55 PM
Im sort of doing this, except im a madman and just redoing the entire bloody system to more properly work in E6. That and taking the lessons of 20 years of D20 and just picking the best stuff to utilize inside of it.

Happy to see others are doing something similar.

Jervis
2022-04-12, 03:58 PM
So I've spent a lot of time rewriting classes to be more fun, have more class features, be a bit more balanced, and overall to extend the life of my favorite version of D&D which is 3.5.

I've been running 3.5 D&D for a very very long time, so I've seen a lot of the downfalls of the game and have recently (The past 4 years) been running pretty much exclusively in Epic 6 and my players adore it.

So I've been rewriting the classes and I'm done with a lot of them and wanted to share what I have with the community in case there are still others who love 3.5 and E6.

Please leave any feedback or comments below! I love to hear critiques, just be gentle, this has been a lot of work and I might have missed some things or accidentally given too much/too little power to classes.

I can appreciate projects like this. I’ve been thinking about making a “DnD 5.3” for a while now that combines the things I like from those two editions, that is to say just 5E proficiency. I haven’t reconciled that with standard attack progression yet which is why I haven’t published it anywhere.

tricktroller
2022-04-13, 08:20 AM
Im sort of doing this, except im a madman and just redoing the entire bloody system to more properly work in E6. That and taking the lessons of 20 years of D20 and just picking the best stuff to utilize inside of it.

Happy to see others are doing something similar.
So I actually have rewritten the system a bit as well but for the most part it works already. I combined some skills, removed class and cross class skills, added many more skill points to characters, changed how some actions work, modified some rules, etc.

If you'd like I'd be happy to link my E6 packet and hour rules page.

I can appreciate projects like this. I’ve been thinking about making a “DnD 5.3” for a while now that combines the things I like from those two editions, that is to say just 5E proficiency. I haven’t reconciled that with standard attack progression yet which is why I haven’t published it anywhere.

Honestly, I think it would be fine. I absolutely stole from a dozen sources with my rewrites. Spot and listen are perception, hide and move silently are stealth, disable device and open lock are disable device, etc.

I almost made the characters gestalt, and in some cases pretty much did with my class additions. But my group also doesn't care about power gaming, the story is more important.

Peelee
2022-04-13, 08:33 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Moved to homebrew.

tricktroller
2022-04-13, 01:54 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Moved to homebrew.

Sorry! It's been so long since I've been on here I forgot that was even a section!

Lord Foul
2022-04-14, 12:24 AM
Im amused by the term 3.75 because for a while that was (and might still be? I've not heard it for a bit) pathfinder's nickname

Draz74
2022-04-18, 07:49 AM

Sounds familiar. :smallwink:

tricktroller
2022-04-20, 06:55 AM
And just so everyone is aware I've been adding more and more class rewrites.

I've added 9 new class rewrites since I made the initial post.

tricktroller
2022-04-27, 09:02 AM
Now I have rewritten the
Bard, Barbarian, Cleric, Dragon Shaman, Druid, Duskblade, Factotum, Fighter, Hexblade, Knight, Monk, Paladin, Reinforcer(Custom class like beguiler), Ranger, Rogue, Scout, Sorcerer, Soulknife, Spellthief, Swashbuckler, Warlock, Warmage, Wizard.

tricktroller
2022-05-04, 09:43 AM
May I present, the final product of this endeavor.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ME0M3ARI9lS5qp9vjQYTIVI-VdlJHJzrOdv-r2ISFNA/edit?usp=sharing

All rules changes, class additions, and 26 class rewrites. Please let me know what you guys think! I'd love to hear some feedback on the changes made, possible issues with balance, or too much overlap. This has been a lot to do in a very short time frame but I tried to make each and every one of the 26 classes as unique form each other as possible.

They all have more class abilities, more combat options, and less need to dip into other classes, easier times qualifying for prestige class features with the E6 feats etc.

My players are all very excited to try out all of the class rewrites.

I think my current favorites are the Crusader and the Psychic Warrior just from flavor standpoints.