We are gathered here for one reason:

April Madness

for those who had fun doing brackets

but want more brackets!!!

Round 3:

Stormheart (OA update dragon #318)

VS

Old Salt (stormwrack)

The premise is simple: pick the feat you want to see compete against something else. It's like a vote to say, "Yes, i would like to think about this one feat more than this other feat"

Please fill out your vote here: https://forms.gle/iXyDwEtq41oAFJEk6

Please Vote only ONCE

I'll check the responses april 14th and apprise you of the winning feat.

Discuss the merits and flaws of the feats below.
Post weird build stub ideas that the feats inspired into you below.

And gear up, cuz on April 14th, round 3 will feature the next two semi-finalists:

Frostburn's improved frosty touch

VS

Unearthed Arcana's Polar Chill

Post your analytical ruminations below.

Seward
2022-04-13, 12:24 AM
Stormheart provides mechanical advantages when actually fighting on a ship or in ship-like conditions (+AC, no difficult terrain), and +2 to prof sailor and balance, but is clan limited

Old Salt lets you predict the weather, gives only +1 bonus to prof sailor and balance, adds +1 use rope bonus and has a profession sailor 5 ranks requirement, which means you can't even take it at first level.

I find combat bonuses when fighting on a ship fairly likely to come up for anybody who takes either feat, and predicting the weather to be completely useless for somebody who wants either feat (presumably a random sailor type who might want to fight on a ship, not the ship's navigator).

Pretty much Old Salt is inferior in how early you can entry, skill effects and combat effects so.....

Stormheart is better.