PDA

View Full Version : Item to disguise animal companion

Yogibear41
2022-04-13, 05:11 PM
Playing a planar ranger with a fiendish animal companion, and was looking for an item to disguise it as a normal animal of its type instead of the fiendish variety.

Would a Hat of disguise, made as a "collar" of disguise be my best bet, or does another item exist out there that could do the same thing more or less.

Toliudar
2022-04-13, 07:48 PM
A modified Hat of disguise does indeed seem like about the right level of complexity and expense for this kind of effect.

ciopo
2022-04-14, 01:38 AM
Doesn't even need to be modified, I feel.

You might want to spend one of the tricks into training him into using the hat, tho.

If you take hat of disguise to be an at will disguise self, you can even wear it yourself and just share spell it, assuming you are mounting your AC or have companion spellbond

YellowJohn
2022-04-14, 05:19 AM
Doesn't even need to be modified, I feel.

You might want to spend one of the tricks into training him into using the hat, tho.

Adding the Fiendish template ups its int to 3, so tricks are mostly for flavor at this point.

As an aside, there is an issue of Dragon featuring extra tricks, some of which allow you to give your AC new 'class skills'. I had an übermount build which used this & bonus tricks to get Tumble on a dragon. Good times.

nedz
2022-04-14, 10:54 AM
A modified Hat of disguise does indeed seem like about the right level of complexity and expense for this kind of effect.

We did this in a game — it was hilarious.