PDA

View Full Version : Blur, Invisibility, Displacement, and Displacer Beasts

Segev
2022-04-14, 02:16 PM
5e has done away with the displacement spell that existed at least in the PHBs for 2nd and 3rd edition. I do not know about 4th. That spell was based on the Displacer Beast's innate magical ability to appear as if it is adjacent to its actual location. In 2e and 3e, this gave it a 50% miss chance whenever anybody tried to attack it, because they had to guess to which side of the image the creature actually was (assuming they knew not to attack where it appeared to be, anyway). In 5e, this is modeled as Disadvantage to attack it, which makes sense given 5e's paradigm of how such things work.

This does create some other issues, mostly surrounding how easy Disadvantage is to negate with Advantage, but those are by and large considered acceptable by players, in my experience, for the simplicity of the mechanic.

However, the reason the spell was removed from 5e, I am convinced, is because it would do nothing that blur doesn't already do. (In fact, if you wanted to refluff blur as displacement but keep the mechanics, simply changing the description, I doubt it would cause any problems.) Blur makes attackers suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls against you. It is a second level spell that requires Concentration, lasts for up to a minute, and requires only a verbal component.

Invisibility is also a 2nd level spell, lasts for up to an hour, can target anything you can touch, and imposes Disadvantage under the same conditions blur does. It also makes you impossible to see, which gives bigger advantages than blur does for utility. On the other hand, blur doesn't dispel if you attack or cast another spell, while invisibility does. So blur is just the "combat invisibility" niche at level 3-6, until greater invisibility becomes available (and still holds its own for being lower level).

Another spell to compare displacement to is mirror image. Despite some fiddly mechanics assigned to it in 5e, mirror image retains place of pride as a spell that doesn't use Disadvantage, but instead actually checks which image was targeted. This creates something that can stack with Disadvantage to hit you, and also remains in place even when an enemy has Advantage to hit you. (That it doesn't take Concentration means you can even have it and blur up simultaneously!)

It's worth noting that, in 3e, blur and invisibility were 2nd level spells, just as in 5e, and displacement was a 3rd level spell. This is because blur in 3e was a 20% miss chance, while in 5e it's a full Disadvantage. Displacement and invisibility were both 50% miss chances (with the lower-level invisibility still having higher utility, but also the problem of not being able to attack without breaking it).

If one wishes to implement displacement in 5e, as a spell, the simplest way, I think, is the aforementioned refluffing of blur. Instead of making you blur and waver, it displaces your image, but the net effect is Disadvantage on attacks against you.

If you wanted to keep both spells distinct, you'll have to give up on matching the Displacer Beast's mechanics, but you could try making a third level spell that makes you appear to be adjacent to where you are. The most straight-forward way to do it would be to make the attacker roll 1d8 with each attack, missing unless he rolls a "1" (because he guessed wrong which square you were in), but that's actually ridiculously overpowered. So, barring others having cool or original ideas, I think I would recommend the refluffing thing, if anybody cared to do it at all.

Hm. Maybe making it not require Concentration as part of being a 3rd level spell? Somatic instead of Verbal component?

strangebloke
2022-04-14, 03:19 PM
Mirror image is the most literal translation of the displacement effect, and its mostly held back by the short duration and requiring an action. IME, people don't like spending actions on defensive spells. My wife likes to quicken it on her sorcerer and then dodge as an action, which has been pretty effective.

Beyond that... yeah, you got it. Blur is the same thing, or near enough. Advantage/disadvantage stacking/canceling doesn't make that much sense but what are you going to do? It's simple, which is virtue enough.

Willowhelm
2022-04-14, 03:36 PM
I’m missing what the purpose of this thread is. Was this a response to something? Is there a question or a goal?

There’s a lot of text so maybe I missed it but it seems like a lot of information with no call to action.

Segev
2022-04-14, 04:55 PM
I’m missing what the purpose of this thread is. Was this a response to something? Is there a question or a goal?

There’s a lot of text so maybe I missed it but it seems like a lot of information with no call to action.

More invitation of discussion than anything else. I had started it with the idea of brainstorming as a group ways to make a displacement spell that stood out as its own thing, but the realization that blur could be reflavored as displacement near-trivially made that less pressing. I still thought the discussion was worth having.

Blur vs. mirror image is also an interesting question of utility. Unless you've already got mirror image up, I'm unsure that blur is not entirely eclipsed by mirror image. The latter has a better duration (no concentration requirement) and higher miss chance. Though I guess blur doesn't "wear out" when you have it successfully defend you.

Edit to add: There's an interesting question: if you have blur and mirror image both up, would attackers suffer Disadvantage if they happen to target an image instead of the real you?

strangebloke
2022-04-14, 05:00 PM
Edit to add: There's an interesting question: if you have blur and mirror image both up, would attackers suffer Disadvantage if they happen to target an image instead of the real you?

short answer, no

longer answer, mirror image forces the enemy to target the mirror images, not you, and they are technically not blurred, though you could probably convince your DM otherwise.

Segev
2022-04-14, 05:21 PM
short answer, no

longer answer, mirror image forces the enemy to target the mirror images, not you, and they are technically not blurred, though you could probably convince your DM otherwise.

It is one of those things where embracing the fiction over the RAW leads either to Blur invalidating Mirror Image (as the images are not blurred, making picking you out easy), or giving the disadvantage to attacks on times, as they e also blurred.

Though as I write this, another alternative occurs to me: the images are blurred, but striking a blurred part of the image is still striking the image, so the image vanishes anyway, meaning no disadvantage to strike the images of a blurred creature even though the images appear blurred.

sambojin
2022-04-14, 09:23 PM
Since it's a defensive spell, and if it's 3rd level one it'd want to be pretty powerful, why not just have it as Blur, but 10min duration, bonus action cast, no concentration.

Basically a "I flick on the disadvantage button, now!" spell. Melee Martials would absolutely love it (but get those spell slots pretty late), casters possibly a little less so (they're stuck with a cantrip that round, and can do plenty of other things from range with a lvl3 spell slot).

Be annoying and make it an exclusive spell for Sorcerors, Rangers and Druids (with the druid thing only being to stop them summoning so many things sometimes). Maybe Warlock and/or Artificer too, for those non-dip locks out there, so they have a really solid defensive combat spell (and artificers have a later tier melee combat option).

It's pretty powerful. But is it OP for a lvl3 slot? Greater Invis still does the "can't see me" thing, but for a shorter duration and action cast time, but from a higher slot. It is touch range though, not self, so has more flexibility on who it's used on.

So if it's too powerful, you could shorten the duration to a minute, or make it an action casting time. Either would work. It seems to sit pretty firmly, and rather powerfully, between invis/ Blur/ and greater Invis, so isn't a bad part of that little group.