PDA

View Full Version : Troll flesh transplants?

Post-human
2022-04-16, 06:08 AM
So, troll blood poured over wounds seems to "regenerate" them.
Fascinating.
It indeed opens to many exciting opportunities.

In your opinion, since it made a destroyed eye regrow, does it means it can regenerate nerves, internal organs... everything?
Mabye even parts of the brain?

And, since it appears to be no rejection, could troll flesh, muscle and bone be grafted too, to increase mass and size?

Does the newly regenerated flesh possess some or part of the regenerative powers of trolls too?

Fyraltari
2022-04-16, 06:12 AM
Username checks out.

hrožila
2022-04-16, 07:51 AM
Are we witnessing the invention of a new cyberpunk/fantasy hybrid genre? What are we going to call it?

Quebbster
2022-04-16, 08:16 AM
Serini was buying troll blood to use in potions, so presumably this is a thing already. Probably with more controlled results too.

brian 333
2022-04-16, 08:46 AM
I would imagine that there is more to the graft than simply pouring blood into a wound. Potions and spells of Regeneration do not alter the physiology of the beneficiary. However, having a troll shaman perform the ritual rather than simply casting Regen or Monstrous Regen seems to have made a difference.

Possibility: Serini was dead when the healing was performed, and is now a troll with Serini"s memories. Instead of Serini"s soul, the body is inhabited by a troll soul that believes it is Serini.

However, that aside, using reagents of various types doesn't change the person using the potion. Use all the fairy dust you like, your character may fly or turn invisible, but doesn't turn into a half-fairy freak. Something else is at work.

Post-human
2022-04-16, 01:44 PM
Another thing...
since Redcloack proved that titanium does exist and is known...

and titanium causes no rejection, could it be used to further exploit the regenerative properties of troll blood / flesh
by plating / coating / reinforcing the scheleton then letting the flesh and skin regrow over it?

- - -

Different idea: creating an iron golem "coated" with living, regenerating troll flesh to give it the appearance of a living creature?

Squire Doodad
2022-04-16, 02:35 PM
I would imagine that there is more to the graft than simply pouring blood into a wound. Potions and spells of Regeneration do not alter the physiology of the beneficiary. However, having a troll shaman perform the ritual rather than simply casting Regen or Monstrous Regen seems to have made a difference.

Possibility: Serini was dead when the healing was performed, and is now a troll with Serini"s memories. Instead of Serini"s soul, the body is inhabited by a troll soul that believes it is Serini.

However, that aside, using reagents of various types doesn't change the person using the potion. Use all the fairy dust you like, your character may fly or turn invisible, but doesn't turn into a half-fairy freak. Something else is at work.

While the idea of a clone-soul Serini deal would be interesting and have magnificent philosophical implications, we're too late in the game to give this the kind of time it needs.
My guess is that formally it'd have been some obscure 3rd party "Bestow Trollflesh" spell ritual being performed by a high level divine caster. Or perhaps it's a homebrewed variant of the Trollflesh Golem, in which Serini was converted into a trollflesh "golem" like Crystal was (but retaining all of her original self and more of her body parts).

Fyraltari
2022-04-16, 02:50 PM
Are we witnessing the invention of a new cyberpunk/fantasy hybrid genre? What are we going to call it?

Trollpunk seems to be the obvious choice.

Squire Doodad
2022-04-20, 01:49 AM

Trollpunk: 1184

KorvinStarmast
2022-04-20, 09:16 PM
Different idea: creating an iron golem "coated" with living, regenerating troll flesh to give it the appearance of a living creature?
Low budget rip off of Terminator 2. :smallyuk:

Jetty
2022-04-21, 04:01 PM
What would happen if we tried to coat everyone's favourite Evil Sorcerer Litch with the stuff?

Fyraltari
2022-04-21, 04:51 PM
What would happen if we tried to coat everyone's favourite Evil Sorcerer Litch with the stuff?

A problem.

Kantaki
2022-04-21, 06:43 PM

A problem.

Yeah.
Do you have any idea how hard it'd be for Xykon to get those bones cleaned? :smalltongue:

On the plus side maybe he'd be able to taste coffee again.:smallbiggrin:

brian 333
2022-04-21, 09:08 PM
Everyone says lich like it rhymes with itch, but it was originally pronounced, ( before D&D,) as a rhyme of lick.

So a trollflesh graft on a lich would be a trollick. That's a new template for my campaign now.

Okay, I'll have to figure out how a character can have two templates without creating were-pires or vamp-wolves.

Okay, bad idea.

pearl jam
2022-04-22, 02:28 AM
I'd been under the impression it was supposed to sound like "like." however, wikipedia suggests that it's been pronounced as "litch" since Old English, which would be well before D&D. :smallbiggrin:

In Middle English "lich" was apparently a possible spelling for the word that is now "like" so perhaps this is where the pronunciation of the undead to sound like "like" comes from? Apparently I should start reading it as "litch" tho... :smalleek:

hrožila
2022-04-22, 04:42 AM
Old English lic was /lic/~/litʃ/, because /k/ was regularly palatalized in that kind of environment; see also OE ic, ME ich vs Dutch ik, "I"; OE gelic, ME ilich vs Dutch gelijk, "alike". However, there were dialectal variants, and in the northern half of England the /k/ seems to have survived under certain circumstances, so in Middle English there are forms like ik, illik(e), etc. It's hard to say to what extent this represents Northumbrian and Mercian variants already present in early Old English (since the /k/ in these words is an archaism) and to what extent it is Old Norse influence (since these regions, particularly Northumbria, had a significant Anglo-Danish population, and Northumbria was ruled by Norse elites for a while). OE lic shows up both as lich(e) and as lik(e) in ME, so while both pronunciations are fine and true to ME and possibly to certain OE dialects, you'd expect the spelling with <ch> to have /tʃ/, not /k/ (see the modern lychgate, with variants such as lyke-gate).

Modern English doesn't come directly from the West Saxon Old English "standard" that had palatalized /tʃ/ more or less across the board, but from a later London-based Middle English chancery standard that took a lot from more northern variants. Words like like come from those variants, and this is why we have a doublet like -like vs -ly (OE -lic(e), ME -lich(e), -lik(e). See also ditch vs dike, both from OE dic, and beseech vs seek, beseek, from OE secan.

Mike Havran
2022-04-23, 04:22 AM

However, that aside, using reagents of various types doesn't change the person using the potion. Use all the fairy dust you like, your character may fly or turn invisible, but doesn't turn into a half-fairy freak. Something else is at work.From the flashback in 1227 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html) we see that:
1. Serini has no X in her eyes.
2. There is no magical aura surrounding the troll shaman or his ritual blade, which would probably be if he was casting a spell or performing a supernatural ritual.

My opinion is that raw troll blood does have regenerative functions with side effects Serini received, but nothing more. She is the same Serini with the same abilities and altered look.

By brewing potions Serini processed the raw troll blood in order to preserve the regenerative effect and eliminate the side effects.

RatElemental
2022-04-24, 02:48 AM
There's no reason the troll blood potions would have to be healing or regenerative. It's the obvious choice, but magic is weird like that.

As for what happened to Serini, my best guess as to how to approximate it in game terms is she acquired the half-troll template. As it's usually an inherited template the rules for applying it to an existing creature is entirely up to the DM, and grafting troll flesh onto a necromantically scoured wound is plausible enough.

Of course, the iron golem coated in troll flesh idea is an interesting one. Half trolls have often been used as minions for wizards, the infamous emerald legion comes to mind on that front; both the original half troll emerald dragons and the half-clay golem voidmind were-dire bat (air racial variant) half-troll wartrolls* that came later.

*Yes, they were half-troll half-war trolls.

Mike Havran
2022-04-24, 04:06 AM
I'd been under the impression it was supposed to sound like "like." however, wikipedia suggests that it's been pronounced as "litch" since Old English, which would be well before D&D. :smallbiggrin:

In Middle English "lich" was apparently a possible spelling for the word that is now "like" so perhaps this is where the pronunciation of the undead to sound like "like" comes from? Apparently I should start reading it as "litch" tho... :smalleek:
I also read it as "litch" or even "leech". Besides,

When Redcloak proposed the idea about turning Xykon into a lich, X was repulsed because he thought Reddie wanted to turn him into a parasite ("leech"). This suggests pronunciation is similar, even though the comic sometimes plays around spelling/pronunciation.

mjasghar
2022-04-24, 08:56 AM
English irregular nouns and verbs is what makes it fun
Consider the pronunciation of lichen.
I remember an audiobook where the voice actress pronounced picket (and the context was clearly militarily) as piquet (the French game)

ShurikVch
2022-04-27, 11:23 AM

Trollpunk: 1184
Who said "trollpunk?"
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/09c77d69-42f1-4852-9bba-09629bbd558b/ddo6t7d-c52cc07d-4e60-422c-8a3a-deeb1fc536e7.jpg/v1/fill/w_270,h_350,q_70,strp/troll_punk_by_mateslaurentiu_ddo6t7d-350t.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ 9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYw ZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OT gyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBh dGgiOiJcL2ZcLzA5Yzc3ZDY5LTQyZjEtNDg1Mi05YmJhLTA5Nj I5YmJkNTU4YlwvZGRvNnQ3ZC1jNTJjYzA3ZC00ZTYwLTQyMmMt OGEzYS1kZWViMWZjNTM2ZTcuanBnIiwiaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD0xMD M2Iiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTgwMCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2Vy dmljZTppbWFnZS53YXRlcm1hcmsiXSwid21rIjp7InBhdGgiOi JcL3dtXC8wOWM3N2Q2OS00MmYxLTQ4NTItOWJiYS0wOTYyOWJi ZDU1OGJcL21hdGVzbGF1cmVudGl1LTQucG5nIiwib3BhY2l0eS I6OTUsInByb3BvcnRpb25zIjowLjQ1LCJncmF2aXR5IjoiY2Vu dGVyIn19.NdqXceVxohBdnW4V0DpXpMcDy2DS5iGQ9iFeAa3Hn pA

ziproot
2022-04-28, 09:51 PM

Hey, I know what the gods will create next if the OOTS world gets destroyed!

Vulsutyr
2022-06-09, 10:19 AM
Old English lic was /lic/~/litʃ/, because /k/ was regularly palatalized in that kind of environment; see also OE ic, ME ich vs Dutch ik, "I"; OE gelic, ME ilich vs Dutch gelijk, "alike".
…more

I’m always pleased to read your linguistic comments. Are you a linguist? I feel like I remember seeing a post where you said they but it might have been someone else.

Ionathus
2022-06-09, 10:27 AM
I’m always pleased to read your linguistic comments. Are you a linguist?

That thorn in his name is a good sign :smallbiggrin:

hrožila
2022-06-10, 01:26 PM
IĀ’m always pleased to read your linguistic comments. Are you a linguist? I feel like I remember seeing a post where you said they but it might have been someone else.
Glad that someone enjoys my ramblings :)
I'm not a linguist (or I kinda am? I'm a translator), I'm just into linguistics, especially historical linguistics, and also into Germanic languages, particularly Old English (and now Dutch). So I learned a bit here and there.

Riftwolf
2022-06-13, 10:48 AM
Low budget rip off of Terminator 2. :smallyuk:

Not a low budget rip off of Terminator?

Terminator 2 seemed to change the time travel rules as T-1000 didn't appear to need a skinsuit to go back in time (though it's been a while since I saw the start so I'm open to correction)