PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Psionic Abjuration Tank?

Citadel97501
2022-04-17, 04:06 PM
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has worked out a Psychic Warrior & Abjuration Wizard multi-class? I was thinking that together these classes could lead to one of the more powerful tank builds available in 5th edition? Basically my idea is to use Protective Field, Abjurer's Ward, and other standard defensive build add-ons to creative a nearly indestructible character.

Race: Mark of Warding Dwarf
Class: Fighter: 6, Wizard: 4
Relevant Feats: Polearm Master, Eldritch Adept: Armor of Shadows, Sentinel
Relevant Fighting Styles: Defense
Relevant Equipment: Spear, Shield
Relevant Spells: Shield, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor from Armor of Shadows

Issues: This does seem to really be short on reactions, as your going to be very low on these as you have so many different ones you will want to use.

loki_ragnarock
2022-04-17, 04:28 PM
Defense doesn't work with Mage Armor? I think you have to be wearing armor.

EDIT
Oh, whether it works is irrelevant to the ability to spam it.

stoutstien
2022-04-17, 04:31 PM
You'll need warcaster for shield to work with your hands full(I'd honestly drop sentinel for it. Having BB as a reaction just tends to work better for what sentinel is trying to get done) and I don't think it will quite catch up to the standard EK/war wizard or straight abur as far as mitigation goes but it would probably work fine.

Alternatively since you are using a rapid refill Ward you could drop the shield and go 2hd with PaM to free up you hand for casting. I'd probably take blind fighting over defense as well so you can use fog cloud or whatnot to gain advantage.

**If your DM allows the reaction option for PaM + WC+BB to work then you could use a spear +duelist and be as sticky as you are tough.**

follacchioso
2022-04-19, 02:17 AM
I would take Bladesinger or War Magic instead of Abjuration. The Abjurer's ward gets depleted quite quickly, especially if you are multiclassed. It only adds 2 HP per level, after the first one. It has also some buggy interactions, for example when you get damage from a type you are resistant or immune to.

On the other hand, War Magic grants you a reaction that you can safely use, as your main attack will be using weapons instead of spells. Bladesinging will give you a bonus to speed, AC, and Conc saves; excellent on a DEX build.

ZRN
2022-04-19, 06:57 AM
I would take Bladesinger or War Magic instead of Abjuration. The Abjurer's ward gets depleted quite quickly, especially if you are multiclassed. It only adds 2 HP per level, after the first one. It has also some buggy interactions, for example when you get damage from a type you are resistant or immune to.

Yeah, you're dropping a feat into making the ward better and it seems really not worth it. You could, for example, go Armorer Artificer instead of wizard and get Defensive Field, along with some other nice tanking benefits (such as Int-based melee).