PDA

View Full Version : Erudite self sufficiency

Jervis
2022-04-18, 04:39 PM
Hello all! I’m currently trying to find a method of expanding a Erudite’s repertoire without the use of extraneous outside factors. Archivist and Wizard can do it fairy easily via a Chameleon 2 dip and using the free bonus feat to get extra spell before copying said spell into their book for a negligible cost. Erudites can’t do this as easily. So I’ve been looking for a method of either A) giving another creature my repertoire or a power from it temporarily or B) making a power stone cheaply or somehow changing the power in it. Basically I want to find a way to use expanded knowledge to get a new power and slap that power elsewhere so I can relearn it permanently.

Troacctid
2022-04-18, 06:03 PM
You can make power stones with Imprint Stone.

remetagross
2022-04-18, 06:19 PM
Use Psychic Reformation to learn a suit of entirely different powers from those you previously knew and then make a bunch of power stones !

Jervis
2022-04-18, 06:24 PM
You can make power stones with Imprint Stone.

Use Psychic Reformation to learn a suit of entirely different powers from those you previously knew and then make a bunch of power stones !

The option to just make power stones occurred to me but like I said I was looking for a way to do it more cheaply. I suppose optimized item crafting could knock it down prey cheap but that still adds up really quickly. Thanks for the suggestion though

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-18, 06:45 PM
Linked Power + psychic reformation to spontaneously swap your entire power list in under a round. If you've got a StP erudite minion and you're a non-erudite psion, you can invest in the above, as well as psychic chirurgery and a thought bottle (Complete Arcane), and you've got the entire psion list and every arcane spell as a psionic power (as well as every divine spell as an arcane spell as a psionic power).

You don't want to be an erudite yourself, if you can swing it, because erudites have the unique powers per day limitation. Psions do not.

Jack_Simth
2022-04-18, 08:26 PM
Fission and Linked Power Psychic Reformation?
Copy yourself off, have the copy pick up the power via Psychic Reformation (linked power to shorten the time), then learn it from your copy.

What's the time frame for learning a power? You may need some shenanigans to get the copy to last long enough. Is there a persistent power feat? I suppose that would also remove the Psychic Reformation time problem, dumping the need for Linked Power.

Jervis
2022-04-18, 08:35 PM
Fission and Linked Power Psychic Reformation?
Copy yourself off, have the copy pick up the power via Psychic Reformation (linked power to shorten the time), then learn it from your copy.

What's the time frame for learning a power? You may need some shenanigans to get the copy to last long enough. Is there a persistent power feat? I suppose that would also remove the Psychic Reformation time problem, dumping the need for Linked Power.

There is a persist power feat but you only need to be in contact for 1 full round. It takes 8 hours to commit a power and you can only commit one at a time but you only need to be in contact with the source for that one round before you start the process. The only issue is that you might not be able to learn from a copy because it specifies another’s repertoire. So it depends if a copy of you qualifies. If it does then Schism might be a cheaper method.

Jack_Simth
2022-04-18, 08:43 PM
There is a persist power feat but you only need to be in contact for 1 full round. It takes 8 hours to commit a power and you can only commit one at a time but you only need to be in contact with the source for that one round before you start the process. The only issue is that you might not be able to learn from a copy because it specifies another’s repertoire. So it depends if a copy of you qualifies. If it does then Schism might be a cheaper method.

Schism is still you in all ways. If it manifests Force Screen, the augmented Shield spell effect applies to you.

A Fissioned copy not so. And after your clone Psychic Reformation's itself, it's not even your repertoire anymore.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-18, 09:19 PM
Psychic chirurgery allows you to give someone a power known PDQ.

I wonder if a psion can store his powers known in a thought bottle and pass it on to himself if he changes the powers he knows.

A thought bottle acts as a spellbook, so a StP erudite should be able to learn all the powers in a thought bottle just like he can(?) from a spellbook.

Endarire
2022-04-25, 04:08 PM
Thrallherd can give you psionic thralls through which to manifest powers.

ciopo
2022-04-25, 04:29 PM
A reading of expanded knowledge that's unlikely to fly, but you can try : losing the feat doesn't lose you the extra power known granted by the feat.

Reasoning: a power known is a an entity that isn't just statistical, imagine it like using the chameleon floating feat for ancestral relic, then changing it. You don't lose the item just because you no longer have the feat. The concept of power known is the same to me

Ancillary reasoning: on a character sheet you'd record the feat as "expanded knowledge". For ease of keeping track of stuff I would myself write down "expanded knowledge(this or that power)". But what extra power you picked isn't actually "married to the feat", so to say.

Unlikely to fly, as said. I'd allow it but I'm quirky about wording and categories. "You lose the feat you lose the power" is eminently reasonable too

Crichton
2022-04-26, 12:55 AM
A reading of expanded knowledge that's unlikely to fly, but you can try : losing the feat doesn't lose you the extra power known granted by the feat.

Reasoning: a power known is a an entity that isn't just statistical, imagine it like using the chameleon floating feat for ancestral relic, then changing it. You don't lose the item just because you no longer have the feat. The concept of power known is the same to me

Ancillary reasoning: on a character sheet you'd record the feat as "expanded knowledge". For ease of keeping track of stuff I would myself write down "expanded knowledge(this or that power)". But what extra power you picked isn't actually "married to the feat", so to say.

Unlikely to fly, as said. I'd allow it but I'm quirky about wording and categories. "You lose the feat you lose the power" is eminently reasonable too

Even if you 'lose the feat you lose the power' (which is generally how I've read/ruled it), you just take the feat, craft a power stone of the power, lose the feat, learn the power from the stone as normal

Jervis
2022-04-26, 02:39 AM
Even if you 'lose the feat you lose the power' (which is generally how I've read/ruled it), you just take the feat, craft a power stone of the power, lose the feat, learn the power from the stone as normal

True. That’s the way I originally planned to do it but cost was prohibiting on a large scale. I’ve only found a way to get the base cost down to 10 GP x SL x CL, and that’s with stuff like limited it to CN aligned Erudites who need ranks in Craft Basketweaving. Also makes the XP cost problem more exaggerated. I could maybe get it down to 8 GP x SL x CL but that would take another feat that makes every item I make cursed.

remetagross
2022-04-26, 03:11 AM
Thrallherd can give you psionic thralls through which to manifest powers.

This is an excellent solution.

Pay attention to the fact that if you take all 10 levels of Thrallherd then you'll end up with at least as many levels in this class that levels in Erudite, and as per the Erudite rules this'll make you lose the ability to learn external psionic powers.