PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Official Rules for non-magical custom weapons. Are there any?

jaekaido
2022-04-20, 03:55 PM
So I am trying to design a Custom non-magical weapon based on a video game I played decades ago. It is like a whip as it is a melee weapon with a 20 ft. range. However, the weapon has different attachments you can add to it that each have a different function. The blade attachment is used for ranged Piercing and Slashing attacks. the weighted head can be used for dealing Bludgeoning attacks and disarm attempts. Finally there is the Hook attachment can be used for tripping and climbing.

Are there any official rules for creating an item like this in 3.5 that anyone knows of?

Lemmy
2022-04-21, 01:40 AM
I don' t know about official rules... But I do humbly suggest my Custom Weapon Generation System, which you can find in my signature. I dare say it's a very good resource for creating custom weapons.

It currently doesn't have a way to extend melee weapon's range beyond the usual for reach weapons and whips... But depending on how you want it to work, it'd be a 2 or 3 cp modification.

Alternate types of damage and bonus to climbing are easy enough to achieve, through. Just check the Alternate Damage Type modification and the Utility, Major modification.

jaekaido
2022-04-21, 11:08 AM
Thank you very much I will go ahead and use your guide. It seems simple enough and provides several ways to use it. Again thank you very much.

Buufreak
2022-04-21, 05:04 PM
You could also look into the Pure Steam supplement for pathfinder that customizes weapons through technological bonuses and abilities instead of magical ones.

Lemmy
2022-04-22, 10:33 PM
Thank you very much I will go ahead and use your guide. It seems simple enough and provides several ways to use it. Again thank you very much.
No problem. I hope you like it.

My take on the weapon you mentioned would be

Exotic 1-handed Slashing Weapon with [1d6 / 19-20 / Slashing]

As an exotic weapon, it has 4 cp to spend on modifications... So I'd give it the following ones:

Whip [0 cp]
Alternate Damage (Bludgeoning) [0 cp]
Whip, Reinforced [1 cp]
Utility, Major (works as a grappling hook) [1 cp]
Utility, Major (+2 to Climb checks) [1 cp]

Now, currently there's no modification to extend the reach of melee weapon beyond the usual 15 ft for whips... But I think it'd be okay to spend that last cp you have left to raise it to 20 ft, similar to the Improved Ranged modification for ranged weapons. That should be ok.

droobles
2022-04-23, 10:46 AM
There is an old setting called the Black Company (I believe that was the name) that had nice rules for special non magical equipment.

They had several modification that went up to +3 attack and/or damage, some different combat options and skill bonuses.

Phhase
2022-05-06, 11:58 AM
I don' t know about official rules... But I do humbly suggest my Custom Weapon Generation System, which you can find in my signature. I dare say it's a very good resource for creating custom weapons.

It currently doesn't have a way to extend melee weapon's range beyond the usual for reach weapons and whips... But depending on how you want it to work, it'd be a 2 or 3 cp modification.

Alternate types of damage and bonus to climbing are easy enough to achieve, through. Just check the Alternate Damage Type modification and the Utility, Major modification.

Ooh, interesting! The only thing I'd like to see is some sort of Momentum (melee) or Spooling (Ranged) property either as a benefit, flaw, or both, where a weapon requires time and or repeated uses in order to increase in range or damage, and a sort of "Perilous Trajectory" modification for a ranged weapon that allows a projectile to curve in from unexpected angles, reducing the benefit of cover/a shield (Kind of like the Annulat from the Planar Handbook) whoops, missed Arc.

Lemmy
2022-05-10, 09:28 AM
Ooh, interesting! The only thing I'd like to see is some sort of Momentum (melee) or Spooling (Ranged) property either as a benefit, flaw, or both, where a weapon requires time and or repeated uses in order to increase in range or damage.
I thought about adding something like that a while ago... But I couldn't really figure out a way that wouldn't make the weapon either overpowered or basically useless... Although I didn't try too hard, TBH. At the time I was REALLY busy all the freaking time.

To an extent, it can be kind of reproduced on ranged weapons through longer reload time, but doesn't really work very well... Specially with feats such as Rapid Reload around.

But I digress... Hopefully the OP managed to make a weapon that is close enough to his idea for him to be satisfied.

Feel free to send me any questions, suggestions or feedback of any kind you might have about it. Or just post in its decdicated thread. I'll gladly read and respond. Thank you for your interest in my not-so-humble project. :smallsmile: