PDA

View Full Version : deleted

wefoij123
2022-04-22, 04:03 PM
Don't need this answered anymore so deleted.

Vaern
2022-04-22, 11:22 PM
Elemental Envoy says that any time you would be able to acquire a new psicrystal you may instead choose to summon an elemental steward. Complete Psionic doesn't detail psicrystals much and the SRD doesn't include their creation in its description, but the Psionics Handbook does specify that psicrystals cost 100 gp and 24 hours to create. In addition, the destruction of the psicrystal causes its owner to lose 200 xp per level with a DC 15 fortitude save to reduce this penalty by half, and a destroyed psicrystal can not be replaced for 6 months. Thus, summoning the elemental steward is a 2/year ability that will cost 100 gp and 24 hours with the risk of losing a significant amount of experience -- not a standard action that the character is free to use on a whim. I also don't see anything in the Elemental Envoy feat that says that the steward can be summoned or dismissed as a standard action - or that it can be dismissed at all. A psicrystal is essentailly equivalent to an arcane caster's familiar, and the Elemental Envoy feat is more like the psionic equivalent of Improved Familiar than a reserve feat.

Linked Power allows you to link a power you're manifesting to a power you're planning to manifest next round. If you link vigor to elemental steward, you manifest vigor this round and summon an elemental steward next round, paying the full cost of both powers upfront. Metapower allows you to manifest a chosen power with a chosen metapsionic feat at a cost reduction of 2pp, but I don't see how you figure that it's allowing you to double the effect of Linked Power. It doesn't do that, and as far as I'm aware you can't apply multiple instances of a single metapsionic feat to the same power any more than you could apply one metamagic feat to a spell multiple times.

If you cast fission and die while your duplicate still exists, the duplicate is for all intents and purposes you. You are now playing as the duplicate. You can revivify your original self, but you are still the duplicate. The revivified "you" with no level loss is a living independent creature free of player control by any spell effect and is now effectively an NPC. Neither of you can benefit from the fission power again while the other is still alive.

The description of fission says that the duplicate will not do anything that the real you wouldn't do. You couldn't reasonably use the duplicate as an XP battery for casting spells unless you would wantonly cast such expensive spells yourself. You also wouldn't want to try repeatedly summoning and killing fissions to create spawn, as your duplicate won't willingly allow you to kill it any more than you would willingly allow the duplicate to kill you. Your duplicate should have the same idea as you: Kill your other self for a free permanent minion.

I would say yes, the fission does leave a corpse. It explicitly does not merge with you after dying, and there's nothing else to indicate that the body vanishes when the spell expires.

A lot of the fision/spawn stuff is rule 0 territory:

Can you create a new fission after one becomes a lava/winterwight? Resurrection spells require that the undead form be destroyed before the original creature can be resurrected - an undead creature may not be alive, but it's also not quite dead despite having died. But, a fission isn't exactly a resurrection, is it? Coin toss.

Does a non-humanoid polymorphed into a humanoid become a wight? Polymorph does change its creature type to make it a valid target, but the creature also reverts to its original form when slain to make it an invalid target at the same moment that the effect actually procs. I would say no, you don't get the wight, though I wouldn't argue against anyone who disagreed with me.

Otherwise, you can create as many wights as you want. There is no restriction on monsters creating or controlling minions as there is with PC spellcasters controlling undead hordes. Do mind, though, that per the description of lavawights they are under the control of the shape of fire that created them. Once you cease to be a shape of fire, you lose control of your minions. The shadow of the void text for creating winterwights reads the same way.

Vaern
2022-04-25, 07:21 AM
I tossed a question about psicrystals in the RAW thread, but it's probably going to end up being ignored and buried.
Common sense says to default to Psionics Handbook rules for creating psicrystals, though if it's no longer applicable to RAW due to being 3.0 material then I guess it would be technically correct - the best kind of correct, by the way - for the feat to be a standard action to activate since that's what feats tend to default to, with no material component cost since that's what supernatural abilities default to.

ShurikVch
2022-04-25, 01:00 PM
I tossed a question about psicrystals in the RAW thread, but it's probably going to end up being ignored and buried.
Common sense says to default to Psionics Handbook rules for creating psicrystals, though if it's no longer applicable to RAW due to being 3.0 material then I guess it would be technically correct - the best kind of correct, by the way - for the feat to be a standard action to activate since that's what feats tend to default to, with no material component cost since that's what supernatural abilities default to.
Fun moment: if Psion is the creator of the Psicrystal - by the rules in Dragon #327, Extra Arms is an option... (2.5 lbs. as Heavy Load) :smallamused:

Crichton
2022-04-25, 03:58 PM
Fun moment: if Psion is the creator of the Psicrystal - by the rules in Dragon #327, Extra Arms is an option... (2.5 lbs. as Heavy Load) :smallamused:

I'm not sure about your math, but regardless, psicrystals aren't normally qualified for Extra Arms. That requires the construct to have a slam attack, which psicrystals don't ordinarily have. Also requires the Psion to already have the Craft Construct feat and CL/ML 14

ShurikVch
2022-04-26, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure about your math, but regardless, psicrystals aren't normally qualified for Extra Arms. That requires the construct to have a slam attack, which psicrystals don't ordinarily have. Also requires the Psion to already have the Craft Construct feat and CL/ML 14
The "Slam" requirement, while RAW, is rather odd: by this metrics, Helmed Horror would be illegal for Extra Arms...
Otherwise - Psionic Artificer should be able to do it...

Remuko
2022-04-29, 03:51 PM
I have a new question. Changed the title and first post.

I thought maybe instead of making a new thread I'd recycle this one.

you probably should have made a new one. this is just gonna confuse everyone since now the replies are to a question that not here anymore...

Vaern
2022-04-30, 06:09 AM
For the duration of the spell, I'd say that your duplicate acts like a summoned creature and winks out if it comes in contact with an antimagic field.

Once the duration has expired, it's no longer a "magical" effect. If you die and become the duplicate, you are no longer subject to vanishing in the AMF. If the duplicate died and its corpse is still hanging around, it is not subject to vanishing in the AMF.

If the spell expires while the duplicate is outside of the AMF, the AMF can not affect the duplicate to prevent it from rejoining. The duplicate ceases to be a magical effect once the spell has ended, so being pulled through an AMF does not affect it.

I think the last bit of the spell is meant to be a kind of failsafe to prevent cheese. All powers affecting you and your duplicate end when the spells end. Transparency should treat spells as being the same as powers, so if your duplicate is trapped in an AMF it has a built-in get out of jail free card. The AMF effect suppressing the duplicate ends, and your duplicate is free to rejoin.