PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Upgrading Phantom Steed

Segev
2022-04-23, 01:38 AM
I have discussed my frustrations with the existing version of phantom steed extensively in the past. It's too short in duration for a ritual that's meant for overland travel, it is not useful in combat unless you get lucky, and it is downgraded considerably from its prior edition forms, despite the upgrades it got being easily translated to upcasting. This is my attempt to fix it, and I'd like feedback on whether I've made it too good, please.

Phantom Steed
3rd level illusion (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 30 feet
Target: The ground in an unoccupied space of your choice within range
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 hour
Classes: Wizard
A Large quasi-real, horse-like creature appears on the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice within range. You decide the creature's appearance, but it is equipped with a saddle, bit, and bridle. Any of the equipment created by the spell vanishes in a puff of smoke if it is carried more than 10 feet away from the steed.

For the duration, you or a creature you choose can ride the steed. The creature uses the statistics for a Riding Horse, except it has a speed of 100 feet and can travel 10 miles in an hour, or 13 miles at a fast pace. When the spell ends, the steed gradually fades, giving the rider 1 minute to dismount. The spell ends if you use an action to dismiss it or if the steed takes any damage.

At higher levels. If cast with a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the steed appears wearing armor: its armor class improved by 1 and it gains 13 extra hp for every level of the spell slot above 3rd, and the spell also ends only if the steed is reduced to 0 hp. Its duration becomes 8 hours. If cast with a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the mount moves silently and can ignore difficult terrain. If cast with a spell slot of 6th level or higher, it can cast water walk on itself at will. If cast with a spell slot of 7th level or higher, it can walk on air, gaining a fly speed equal to its ground speed and the ability to hover.

sandmote
2022-04-25, 12:36 PM
Seems fine if you consider the published version too weak. One minor quibble over how some of the phrasing:

It isn't entirely clear "The spell ends ... if the steed takes any damage," is equivalent to it having 1 hit point, because the text doesn't doesn't mention hit points. I would either the Hp explicit or change the following text to say the steed "has 5 hp for every slot level above 3rd."

it gains 5 extra hp for every level of the spell slot above 3rd, and the spell also ends only if the steed is reduced to 0 hp. Yes the steed's HP are either slot*5 or 1+slot*5 based on how you interpret the "takes any damage," phrase but I don't like the vagueness.

Segev
2022-04-25, 02:26 PM
Seems fine if you consider the published version too weak. One minor quibble over how some of the phrasing:

It isn't entirely clear "The spell ends ... if the steed takes any damage," is equivalent to it having 1 hit point, because the text doesn't doesn't mention hit points. I would either the Hp explicit or change the following text to say the steed "has 5 hp for every slot level above 3rd."
Yes the steed's HP are either slot*5 or 1+slot*5 based on how you interpret the "takes any damage," phrase but I don't like the vagueness.

Thanks for the feedback! By default, the steed has 13 hp (stats as a Riding Horse), so the way it's written, it would take that to 18 from a level 4 slot, 23 from a level 5, etc. That said, how's this for trying to clarify that?

Phantom Steed
3rd level illusion (ritual)
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 30 feet
Target: The ground in an unoccupied space of your choice within range
Components: V, S
Duration: 8 hours
Classes: Wizard
A Large quasi-real, horse-like creature appears on the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice within range. You decide the creature's appearance, but it is equipped with a saddle, bit, and bridle. Any of the equipment created by the spell vanishes in a puff of smoke if it is carried more than 10 feet away from the steed.

For the duration, you or a creature you choose can ride the steed. The creature uses the statistics for a Riding Horse (e.g. it has 13 hp and AC 10), except it has a speed of 100 feet and can travel 10 miles in an hour, or 13 miles at a fast pace. When the spell ends, the steed gradually fades, giving the rider 1 minute to dismount. The spell ends if you use an action to dismiss it or if the steed takes any damage.

At higher levels. If cast with a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the spell does not end due to the steed taking damage (though it ends of the steed is reduced to 0 hp), and it gains an additional 5 hp for each spell level above 3rd. The steed also appears wearing armor: its armor class improved by 1 for every level of the spell slot above 3rd. If cast with a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the mount moves silently and can ignore difficult terrain. If cast with a spell slot of 6th level or higher, it can cast water walk on itself at will. If cast with a spell slot of 7th level or higher, it can walk on air, gaining a fly speed equal to its ground speed and the ability to hover.

Twelvetrees
2022-04-25, 10:30 PM
The base spell is the same, so I'm just commenting on your changes.

At higher levels. If cast with a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the spell does not end due to the steed taking damage (though it ends of the steed is reduced to 0 hp), and it gains an additional 5 hp for each spell level above 3rd. The steed also appears wearing armor: its armor class improved by 1 and it gains 5 extra hp for every level of the spell slot above 3rd. If cast with a spell slot of 5th level or higher, the mount moves silently and can ignore difficult terrain. If cast with a spell slot of 6th level or higher, it can cast water walk on itself at will. If cast with a spell slot of 7th level or higher, it can walk on air, gaining a fly speed equal to its ground speed and the ability to hover.

You only need one of the sections in italics.
What is the mechanical effect of moving silently?

The 7th level version is gained around the same point a paladin will have access to Find Greater Steed, so that seems about right for how powerful this spell should be.

Segev
2022-04-26, 09:00 AM
The base spell is the same, so I'm just commenting on your changes.

You only need one of the sections in italics.
What is the mechanical effect of moving silently?

The 7th level version is gained around the same point a paladin will have access to Find Greater Steed, so that seems about right for how powerful this spell should be.

Woops, forgot to delete that second part in the edit, thanks.

The mechanical effect of moving silently is that it makes no sound when moving. This would mean, possibly among other things, that no perception checks based on hearing could detect the steed unless it made sound for a reason other than moving. I could word it as "it's hoofsteps make no sound" if that would be better?

sandmote
2022-04-26, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback! By default, the steed has 13 hp (stats as a Riding Horse), so the way it's written, it would take that to 18 from a level 4 slot, 23 from a level 5, etc. Whoops; I didn't process the implications. Initial version was probably fine then.