PDA

View Full Version : Subclass metamagic

Sindal
2022-04-24, 10:54 AM
Hi gang. Been a while.

So I love sorcerers, and I regularly consider ways to slightly give them a bit of edge to make them a little more 'worth' picking over a wizard's overwelming spell utility.

So, one of my most recent (but definitely not original) thoughts is giving each subclass a metamagic unique to them and trying to build on that.

-Metamagic

>In addition to the 2 metamagics you learn, you also naturally learn a specific metamagic technique, determined by your source of magic/subclass.
>You may use this specific metamagic option without paying the SP cost a number of times per long rest equal to your proficiency bonus.
>If you would pay more than 1 sp, half the cost instead.

Goal:
-Sorcerors are supposed to be so intimate with magic that they themselves become magic. It would make sense that each 'type' of magic allows bending of the magic rules with greater ease then others. It's also there to supply a bit of extra metamagic, and encourage it's use, without giving too many free things out .If you want to use one of your choice options that are more relevant to your current need, you still gotta pay. But it does mean that you'll be in a sitaution where you are, effective or not, casting metameric more often to drive home that 'this is what sorcerors do' nail.

Thoughs? Fair? Unfair? Unneeded? Yes please?
And if you like it, which metamagics should go to each subclass in your opinion?
My intial ideas are here (bearing in mind that i'm tyring to avoid the metamagics that use more than 1 sp at a time where possible):

►Dragonblood: Transmuted Spell.
No brainer. Being linked to the Chromantic/metatlic dragons of every colour should give them an easy time twisting elements around.

►Wild Magic: Empowered spell
These guys either have better or worse luck. Empowered spells help them try and supercharge them spells

►Storm Sorcery: Careful Spell
With all that 'turbulent lighting' energy around, i figure they'de get better at created eyes in the storm for their allies.

►Shadow Sorcery: Subtle Spell
Full of deception, Shadow sorceries are best at hiding their spells from plain sight by hiding it in the shadows

►Divine soul: Extended Spell
Having access to a larger array of buffs and curses from the cleric sets, I feel that they would be able to squeeze a little more time out of their buffs a little easier than others. (I woudl have loved to give them twinning tho)

►Clockwork soul: Quickened spell
All about clocks and time. It's 'time' to cast faster

►Aberrant Mind: Distance spell
Aberrants are out of this world boyos, communicating and mind talking. Let their sorcerors reach out just as far with their spells.

Bobthewizard
2022-04-24, 02:23 PM
I love this idea and sorcerers getting an extra metamagic is fitting without stepping on the toes of wizards. I would switch draconic (as blasters) and wild magic (as change agents), so draconic gets empowered and wild magic gets transmute. Otherwise I like all the rest.

Sorinth
2022-04-24, 02:31 PM
Could be interesting but I'd point out that Aberrant Mind is already basically getting Subtle spell. So it might be better to give the other subclasses a similar use case, they get a bonus spell list and can cast those spells via sorcery points and get their associated free meta-magic when doing so.

I would also consider maybe unique/conditional ones, so for Shadow, maybe it's Heightened but only if the target is in an area of Dim Light/Darkness.