PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Fighter Needs Fixing, but we need more melee options Tunnel Fighter

Brohamsandy
2022-04-24, 11:02 AM
This will be controversial, but it is meant as a productive beginning for a much needed dialog and debate, so hear me and please contribute with opinions, suggests, why you agree disagree or qualify.

Please try to establish respectful commenting and accept that other people are allowed to disagree with you (and myself). Thanks!

Aegis Onslaught:

You are a formidable guardian, and possess the terrifying wrath of a determined defender. As a bonus action, you can focus yourself by entering either Lethal Warding stance of your choice, at which point you explode into a furious sweeping blur of fluid attack patterns, which you have honed for protecting yourself and others, and shape into a devastating shield of violence.

Your chosen stance lasts until the start of
your next turn. While in any stance you receive both of the following benefits:

* You can make a number of opportunity attacks without using your reaction equal to half of your proficiency bonus, rounded up.

* You can use your Reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

Lethal Warding Stances:

1. Tunnel Fighter:

You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces:

* If you are inside a tunnel that is less then or equal to 20ft wide (tunnel determined by DM's discretion). You can make opportunity attacks without using your Reaction as long as you are facing and attacking in one direction of the tunnel. Choose the direction you would like to focus when you choose the Tunnel Fighter stance with your Bonus Action. The chosen direction stays until Tunnel Fighter ends at the start of your next turn. While using this ability, you cannot make attacks of opportunity outside of the direction without using a Reaction.

Swirling Sentinel:

If you are in an open area, defined as anything that is more than 20 feet wide, you can choose to enter a make opportunity attacks without using your Reaction on enemies that trigger them in your chosen direction, so long as the creature(s) fulfill ALL of the following criteria:

* If you are being approached from one direction in an open area by an enemy, you can focus your attention in that direction. Choose the direction you would like to focus when you use your bonus action and choose which Aegis Onslaught stance you will be using for this turn. You must choose the stance Swirling Sentinel stance when you activate Aegis Onslaught using your Bonus Action. The direction you choose to focus in while using the Swirling Sentinel stance cannot be changed and you must remain in the same occupied space to maintain it until Aegis Onslaught ends at the start of your next turn.
* If an enemy creature is within the 180° arc running perpendicular to the direction you previously declared, centered on you and facing your chosen direction, you can make opportunity attacks without using your Reaction on enemies within that arc that are also within reach.While using this ability, you cannot make attacks of opportunity outside of the arc, without using a Reaction.
* Entering Swirling Sentinel requires focus to maintain. Once you activate your bonus action and choose to adopt the Swirling Sentinel stance, your movement speed must remain at zero for the remainder of your turn, or your focus is broken and you exit Aegis Onslaught entirely, losing all of its benefits. .
*You may attack from this position in any direction for the remainder of your turn without breaking focus.

This style is meant to be dramatic and fun as well as useful. It is highly recommended to describe you stances and your motions:

Examples:

Something short and simple for a dexterous blademaster:

In alarm, you assume a lithe and fluid stance, whirling in a flurry, transforming in an instant from a slouching form into a deadly virtuoso, as your weapon(s) spring into twin blurring arcs of deadly blades.

Perhaps you are more solid and powerful, and also a bit more detailed with your descriptions:

As you walk down a poorly lit mineshaft, you turn a sharp corner, and lock eyes with the large group of goblins standing 30 feet down the passage. You adopt a timid ready stance, appearing weary and unassuming to swarming enemies, who see only a clunky dwarf in cumbersome heavy armor who is vulnerable to being overwhelmed as you eye them wearily and loudly grumble before crouching behind a shield that nearly dwarfs YOU-the squat lump of angry, dented metal who is still muttering behind it) you casually-and without hurry-begin whirling a massive war hammer slowly through the air above your head in languid circles, gritting your teeth and popping your neck lazily.
The goblins charge eagerly, and as the first set rush you the surprise on their faces remains frozen in place as you decimate them with your hammer, smashing into their slower comrades moments later, as they discover you’re actually a practiced and agile foe-with lightning fast reactions you display as you position yourself nimbly-using your deceptive agility to remain positioned on the balls of your feet, with your weapon delivering precise and efficient killing strokes, decimating the hapless goblins ranks as they stumble into the devastating reach of a shield guardian.

This is the end of my replacement idea for Tunnel Fighter Suggestion. I want to give credit to Reddit contributor Freddyx99 for his much older post that inspired this, but I am not permitted to post links so I apologize for not attaching one to that discussion thread.

What follows are my thoughts on a much bigger topic regarding non magic combat and things like tunnel fighter:

Tunnel fighter can be much more than a combat mechanic: for melee fighters, the roles and actions the tunnel fighting style represent are a fantastic opportunity to add some much-needed flavor and role-play dynamics to melee classes.It will significantly help your party to make combat more engaging.
Players, new and old alike, are highly encouraged to breathe life into the heroic battle scenes tunnel fighter is meant to empower. Once you paint a tunnel fighting scene and describe your actions, with even a bare amount of thought or effort, an image and a scene will begin to emerge, and you will find that with just a few descriptions, or an immersed visual, you and your fellow group members will have more exciting combat. As a play-tester of the original UA Tunnel Fighter who is currently using these guidelines and rules in my own play, I have found that encounters where I use tunnel fighter are almost always a new and exciting story, and using this fighting style has really deepened my character roles as a party member, and the combat descriptions have really impacted my storylines and character developments.

Tunnel fighter’s rules needed adjustments, without question. But, the idea is something missing to melee combat that is essential. Without it, melee combat loses flavor and appeal. Certain characters, those using reach weapons, those who want to take on a protector role, characters who want to engage more deeply than rolling for damage and number outputs and also thing weapon based fantasy combat is cool, need, want, and deserve what tunnel fighter represents. Before you say it’s a bad idea and it’s broken, I make an appeal to you, as someone who has read thousands of fantasy books myself, to reflect on a fantasy book or movie in which melee combat at one point inspired you.

I am in the middle of moving, and I have been packing up books this morning. As I did a fantasy section of my library, I started to write down the names of the authors every time I stumbled on to one where melee combat and non-magical heroism inspired me or deeper the plot and immersion of the novels or series.

This is just the authors of specific books inside the box that in a SINGLE large cardboard box of books with great combat depictions that I personally felt made non-magical combat what it should be. Even after I ruled out many other authors I won’t sully, the list here is impressive.

The point to all this is this: if, in a SINGLE box of fantasy books, the number of vivid melee combat scenes-and dynamic weapon wielding characters who are without magic-is THIS extensive, then what does THAT say about our current 5e subclasses, combat mechanics, and our general treatment of melee and non-magical classes as unworthy of dramatic abilities?

The general consensus I find and myself lament, is that while wizards crackle and sizzle and clerics are about as versatile as duct tape, and warlocks have broody patrons, druids the ability to transform, etc., melee based characters become tedious and boring. I’m currently playing an echo knight fighter myself, which is an improvement in flavor, and I still find out mechanics wanting.

Non-magical combat characters and fighting are vivid, immersive, and full of depth and great versatility in high fantasy: look no further than the brilliant character “Kvothe” in Patrick Rothfuss’, “The Kingkiller Chromicles”.

Players who share this communal love of fantasy come to D&D 5e inspired by countless worlds, worlds in which their heroes perform exciting battles, whose combat style lends to personality and role play and depth. A staggering ratio of our fantasy works contain nothing more dramatic than heroes wielding simple fighting swords, halberds (although more after quarterstaffs or spears) war-hammers, assassins with poisoned crossbows and sleek daggers, foresters with bows, or aggressive war axes.

Spells shouldn’t be the only aspect of our multiverse with versatility, or the acceptance of some less balanced features (looking at you, wizards <3).

I have extensive experience as a player, and as a DM. From that, I have this to say to those of you complaining about min-maxing or meta gaming or, heavens forbid, a build that is “OP” and there fore “broken”:

If, as a DM, you call for fear and subclass and skill bans, with very few exceptions, you should be ashamed. The first tunnel fighter needed modification, so there’s a great example of an exception to this statement, but even here, I am saddened and disappointed to hear most of you reject the concept of this fighting style. Personally, I believe the concept was poorly executed, but in dire need of being integrated with some modification. I understand if you’re AL or something, but I am a rules encyclopedia, and I’m the first to preach that as a DM, you are literally the god of a world for your characters. If you can’t scale, tailor, balance, or adapt for roleplay lay and combat to the abilities of one character, then you, a God, have been bested by a tiny mortal character. Stop blaming rules or classes, and accept that you need to improve your skills. This includes if someone wants to do some optimization or multi-class and outshines the rest of the party. Collaboration is great and so is the band of equal heroes sentiment as a player, but to this I counter with two extensive points:
1. Operating on assumption that everybody should be balanced fastidiously so they are equal is the antithesis of the Hero Epic that underpines Dungeons and Dragons. 5e is if anything painfully difficult to engineer unbalanced classes, but from an experience 5e perspective, yeah there are a bunch of well-known ways. Applaud those. Alter your encounters, change roleplay dynamics and add varied skill scenarios to engage different abilities like bards and rogues and a drunk barbarian dwarf. It is your job, despite whatever justification you have to the contrary, first and foremost to ensure your players each have the chance to be useful party members. Shape your world around them and adapt, for heavens sake.
2. We’ve established that it is a DM’s job to cater to player niches, and that it is your job to make encounters that scale to powerful characters, so let’s get back to my praise of people who build “OP” or “broken” builds. We’re playing a game where a main encompassing objective and theme is becoming an epic hero. You’re mad that some characters are way stronger than others? If everyone in a world is a super powerful champion of wizardly prowess of polearm master sword Lockett or what have you, then no one in that world can BE a hero. No one gets to shine. If you believe that NPCs count in theatre of the mind as people to accentuate a party’s heroic nature, then please reconsider. Look at NPC stats. Monsters alone who are deadly or dangerous may convey a dangerous world, but a lot of the exciting of a group role playing game is finding something we excel at. If one player optimizes an Echo knight with an ancestral barb, or after this goes pole-arm master, sentinel, AND tunnel fighter, then cool, let’s make sure that combat is more dynamic and engaging visually and mechanically and let that player be the strongest combatant. Upscale and interact with your encounters to make them harder until the party is challenged, even if one character is significantly better in combat. Then, add different flavors of encounters. All builds have weaknesses. Or discover how much you need to scale to engage and challenge each player. There are so many great monsters and creatures. Don’t underestimate encounters. I suggest when initially scaling and evaluating characters who are new or have improved, overestimate, but build in a feasible plot or reason to make sure not to TPK. This is not railroading, it’s thresholding and using a feint. They may succeed, if so, make a deadly encounter lucrative. Most importantly, allow differences in ability without naysaying the balance. Be flexible with players who aren’t happy with parts of their characters and allow changes. ENCOURAGE building a hero that feels like the destroyed of giants and strider of worlds, but if a character fills a different niche, that in no way means the strong concept must be nerfed or leave. If something mechanically just doesn’t add up with realism of the action, (ie the first tunnel fighter vs 100 tiny enemy creatures swarming), that’s another story. But, the bard may just not do well in fights. Give them great chances to utilize their unique spells and combat abilities, but also out of combat do more to give them room to shine. Look at life clerics. They fulfill a role that is essential to a party. Would you consider them equal combatants to wizards? Life clerics have FLAVOR, and ultimately that and a role are what matters.

We need to give melee fighters and non-magical heroes better flavor through better combat mechanics, more versatility, and most of all, we need to stop decrying them when they become really good and someone thinks they’re cool again.

I don’t know a lot of fantasy books where a wizard slays the dragon: he could, certainly, but our most epic heroes are given nearly inhuman non-magical abilities. There’s a reason the sword wielding knight slaying a dragon made it into folklore and fantasy instead. What I am trying to say, is that if you look at the extensive power variance in spells, and more importantly if you look at the length of the full spell lists and the variety of abilities they enable, is there really any reason to be upset that classes that are flavored primarily through how well they fight get a lot more, and yes even-gasp-unbalanced improvements?

Make fighting with melee combat and any non magical style more descriptive, more versatile and adaptive, and more dramatic. Stop fretting about the balance, because if you look and 5e, the bigger issue is we have turned melee combat into tedious rigamarole. Worse, we won’t even let it become more dramatic or give it flavor, because we’re more worried about this silly notion of balance.

Wizards have f$!%#%^# blazing balls of fire and pocket dimensions. Give fighter this version of tunnel fighter, and then, please, let’s all work on 100 more options, balance be damned. Fantasy needs it’s swords and spears, and the optimizing and min-max fixation of experience melee enthusiasts is a symptom of the disease that is our negligence to non magical classes. Stop trying to extinguish it. If you create a vast number of options to pick. Moves and style and feats, just a better and way more menu wild selection, and more intricate and responsive mechanics like these, you won’t see every melee fantasy enthusiast-those who were influenced often by many impressive melee fighting heroes of written epic fantasy that we should start to enable in our system by expanding it-run to polearm sentiental, etc. Like everyone else, they will be disperse among the buffet tables. Stop worrying about balanced melee for now. First let’s create a whole host of future headaches by varying moves and mechanical choices and what have you and whittle them down. Isn’t that exactly how our spell list evolved?

Please consider this tunnel fighter variant, but I wrote this really fast so feel free to edit typos, or suggest modified rules!

And again, there should never be a scenario possible long term with a DM that knows how to adjust in which a so called “broken” character is able to overwhelm your encounters in 5e, which if anything is too balanced. If it was a different addition I might say otherwise, but I think 5e could honestly use a little less balance and a ton more versatile non magical fighting options, skills, actions, and mechanics. Balance be damned!

if you have read any of these authors I enjoyed the many fantasy books that bring melee combat alive-many in our D&D multiverse. I could mention the Drizz’t saga by R.A. Salvatore, or the works of Robert Jordan, Frank Herbert, Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Raymond Feist, Joe Abercrombie, J.R.R Tolkien, William Goldman, Terry Brooks, Robin Hobb.

KorvinStarmast
2022-04-24, 01:49 PM
{introduction snippped

Aegis Onslaught:

You are a formidable guardian, and possess the terrifying wrath of a determined defender. As a bonus action, you can focus yourself by entering either Lethal Warding stance of your choice, at which point you explode into a furious sweeping blur of fluid attack patterns, which you have honed for protecting yourself and others, and shape into a devastating shield of violence.

Your chosen stance lasts until the start of
your next turn. While in any stance you receive both of the following benefits:

* You can make a number of opportunity attacks without using your reaction equal to half of your proficiency bonus, rounded up.

* You can use your Reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.

Lethal Warding Stances:

1. Tunnel Fighter:

You excel at defending narrow passages, doorways, and other tight spaces:

* If you are inside a tunnel that is less then or equal to 20ft wide (tunnel determined by DM's discretion). You can make opportunity attacks without using your Reaction as long as you are facing and attacking in one direction of the tunnel. Choose the direction you would like to focus when you choose the Tunnel Fighter stance with your Bonus Action. The chosen direction stays until Tunnel Fighter ends at the start of your next turn. While using this ability, you cannot make attacks of opportunity outside of the direction without using a Reaction.

Swirling Sentinel:

If you are in an open area, defined as anything that is more than 20 feet wide, you can choose to enter a make opportunity attacks without using your Reaction on enemies that trigger them in your chosen direction, so long as the creature(s) fulfill ALL of the following criteria:

* If you are being approached from one direction in an open area by an enemy, you can focus your attention in that direction. Choose the direction you would like to focus when you use your bonus action and choose which Aegis Onslaught stance you will be using for this turn. You must choose the stance Swirling Sentinel stance when you activate Aegis Onslaught using your Bonus Action. The direction you choose to focus in while using the Swirling Sentinel stance cannot be changed and you must remain in the same occupied space to maintain it until Aegis Onslaught ends at the start of your next turn.
* If an enemy creature is within the 180° arc running perpendicular to the direction you previously declared, centered on you and facing your chosen direction, you can make opportunity attacks without using your Reaction on enemies within that arc that are also within reach.While using this ability, you cannot make attacks of opportunity outside of the arc, without using a Reaction.
* Entering Swirling Sentinel requires focus to maintain. Once you activate your bonus action and choose to adopt the Swirling Sentinel stance, your movement speed must remain at zero for the remainder of your turn, or your focus is broken and you exit Aegis Onslaught entirely, losing all of its benefits. .
*You may attack from this position in any direction for the remainder of your turn without breaking focus.

This style is meant to be dramatic and fun as well as useful. It is highly recommended to describe you stances and your motions:

Examples:

Something short and simple for a dexterous blademaster:

In alarm, you assume a lithe and fluid stance, whirling in a flurry, transforming in an instant from a slouching form into a deadly virtuoso, as your weapon(s) spring into twin blurring arcs of deadly blades.

Perhaps you are more solid and powerful, and also a bit more detailed with your descriptions:

As you walk down a poorly lit mineshaft, you turn a sharp corner, and lock eyes with the large group of goblins standing 30 feet down the passage. You adopt a timid ready stance, appearing weary and unassuming to swarming enemies, who see only a clunky dwarf in cumbersome heavy armor who is vulnerable to being overwhelmed as you eye them wearily and loudly grumble before crouching behind a shield that nearly dwarfs YOU-the squat lump of angry, dented metal who is still muttering behind it) you casually-and without hurry-begin whirling a massive war hammer slowly through the air above your head in languid circles, gritting your teeth and popping your neck lazily.
The goblins charge eagerly, and as the first set rush you the surprise on their faces remains frozen in place as you decimate them with your hammer, smashing into their slower comrades moments later, as they discover you’re actually a practiced and agile foe-with lightning fast reactions you display as you position yourself nimbly-using your deceptive agility to remain positioned on the balls of your feet, with your weapon delivering precise and efficient killing strokes, decimating the hapless goblins ranks as they stumble into the devastating reach of a shield guardian.

Tunnel fighter can be much more than a combat mechanic: for melee fighters, the roles and actions the tunnel fighting style represent are a fantastic opportunity to add some much-needed flavor and role-play dynamics to melee classes. It will significantly help your party to make combat more engaging.
Players, new and old alike, are highly encouraged to breathe life into the heroic battle scenes tunnel fighter is meant to empower. Once you paint a tunnel fighting scene and describe your actions, with even a bare amount of thought or effort, an image and a scene will begin to emerge, and you will find that with just a few descriptions, or an immersed visual, you and your fellow group members will have more exciting combat. As a play-tester of the original UA Tunnel Fighter who is currently using these guidelines and rules in my own play, I have found that encounters where I use tunnel fighter are almost always a new and exciting story, and using this fighting style has really deepened my character roles as a party member, and the combat descriptions have really impacted my storylines and character developments.
what was the largest number of OA's that you got during play test in one combat?

Tunnel fighter’s rules needed adjustments, without question. But, the idea is something missing to melee combat that is essential. Without it, melee combat loses flavor and appeal. Certain characters, those using reach weapons, those who want to take on a protector role, characters who want to engage more deeply than rolling for damage and number outputs and also thing weapon based fantasy combat is cool, need, want, and deserve what tunnel fighter represents. Before you say it’s a bad idea and it’s broken, I make an appeal to you, as someone who has read thousands of fantasy books myself, to reflect on a fantasy book or movie in which melee combat at one point inspired you.
{snip long winded platitudes}
We need to give melee fighters and non-magical heroes better flavor through better combat mechanics, more versatility, and most of all, we need to stop decrying them when they become really good and someone thinks they’re cool again. The number crunchers have spent 8 years moaning about feats for martials: PWM, GWM, SS, CE. I doubt your impassioned appeal with sway them. I tend to be on your side of this.
{snip more stuff}

I could mention the Drizz’t saga by R.A. Salvatore, or the works of Robert Jordan, Frank Herbert, Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Raymond Feist, Joe Abercrombie, J.R.R Tolkien, William Goldman, Terry Brooks, Robin Hobb. I am certainly a fan of Robin Hobb. Your complaint that the narrative of the Swords and Sorcery genre doesn't well serve the melee combatant mechanics in D&D 5e has long been a topic of discussion here.
My cynical observation is:
The are Wizards of the Coast, not Warriors of the Coast, and it really shows. :smallyuk:

I have had fun with martial characters, despite the obstacles.

Greywander
2022-04-25, 08:38 PM
Can I please get a TL;DR? Like, glass houses and all that, but I'm not sure I've ever been this verbose.

Some quick thoughts after just reading the first few lines of the OP:

The value in Tunnel Fighter is the unlimited OAs. If you limit it, then it becomes possible to become overwhelmed by sheer numbers. This is exactly what Tunnel Fighter was trying to prevent. At the same time, Tunnel Fighter is too strong as-is, particularly when combined with PAM as well as either Sentinel or Warcaster. It needs some tempering to make it more balanced.

First, I suggest that it use an action to activate. You're giving up your main set of attacks in exchange for potentially unlimited OAs (well, limited by the number of enemies, since you can only take one OA per turn). Now it has a tangible cost that forces you to choose between offense and defense.

Second, you must be able to use reactions, and you must have an unspent reaction. E.g. you could word it such that, once per turn, you can immediately get your reaction back after making an OA. If you can't take reactions, or if you spend your reaction on something else, you can't make any more OAs. It gives your enemies a couple ways to counter this ability.

Third, it's too strong to be locked behind a fighting style, or even a feat. At the same time, locking it behind the Cavalier's 18th level feature means almost no one ever gets it, and if they do, not until near the end of the campaign. I would make a new class or subclass and give this as a tier 2 feature, maybe at 7 or 9. That delays it enough that a casual dip is insufficient to pick it up, while putting it early enough that you'll actually get some mileage out of it before the campaign ends.

Fourth, because this synergizes so well with PAM that PAM practically becomes a feat tax, I might integrate some features of PAM directly into the ability (namely, the OA on enemies entering your reach). After all, you're giving up your action for this. What made Tunnel Fighter so busted was the synergy with PAM, so we might as well write the feature with that in mind by giving that benefit for free.

Zhorn
2022-04-25, 09:03 PM
Can I please get a TL;DR? Like, glass houses and all that, but I'm not sure I've ever been this verbose.
TL;DR : "Tunnel Fighter Needs Fixing"... yes, that's why it never escaped Unearthed Arcana :smallbiggrin:

Cheek aside, I think you've done a solid TL;DR version yourself Greywander. highlighting the problems of why it is too strong to fit into most solution spaces without severely nerfing it.
The containing UA; Light, Dark, Underdark came out on 2 Nov 2015, and 2 years later we got Xanathar's Guide to Everything (15 Nov 2017) with the Cavalier Fighter having Vigilant Defender at level 18, which combined with the level 10 feature Hold the Line, (as you've already said) covers the same ground.
Could it have been accessed at a lower level? Maybe, but I wouldn't have done it before level 10.

KorvinStarmast
2022-04-26, 08:54 AM
TL;DR : "Tunnel Fighter Needs Fixing"... yes, that's why it never escaped Unearthed Arcana :smallbiggrin: Blue text not needed. :smallbiggrin:

Light, Dark, Underdark came out on 2 Nov 2015, and 2 years later we got Xanathar's Guide to Everything (15 Nov 2017) with the Cavalier Fighter having Vigilant Defender at level 18, which combined with the level 10 feature Hold the Line, (as you've already said) covers the same ground. Yeah, and most games don't go to 18 unfortunately. :smallfrown:
Could it have been accessed at a lower level? Maybe, but I wouldn't have done it before level 10. What I am getting from your assessment is that Cavalier resolves the OP's problem. Did I grok that correctly? :smallconfused:

Zhorn
2022-04-26, 09:16 AM
Yeah, and most games don't go to 18 unfortunately. :smallfrown: What I am getting from your assessment is that Cavalier resolves the OP's problem. Did I grok that correctly? :smallconfused:
No, it doesn't resolve the OP's problem.
It is just contextualizing that the "Tunnel Fighter problem" has already had a fix in an official capacity.
Now the question is "how much lower could the level requirement be for those features while not breaking anything".

Greywander did a good job on coving why it's too strong for a fighting style or a feat, so that leaves the only reasonable space for it to exist in as a class feature, which is has since been published into.
Is it the best space for it? That's a worth while debate. But WotC putting it in a higher level bracket is less breaking than putting it in a lower one.
An official solution that is a little unsatisfying from an access perspective.

Brohamsandy
2022-04-27, 02:19 PM
I was a wee bit manic when I wrote this with a crazy move going on, so apologies for verbosity! Some excellent points and suggested mechanics here, but I think an issue mechanical concern needs to be addressed that these considerations are overlooking, one that goes beyond the cavalier at 18 va 7, 9, 10, etc. debate and more along Greywarden’s line of suggestions:

Tunnel fighter truly fits the exact definition of a fighting style.

If you play an archer, you assume that is a style integrated into your character at level one but not confined to a single subclass. If you are a dual wielding sword fighter, again, not a subclass or even class (bladesinger for example) based decision, minus the need to start as or have a level of fighter or something.

To me, at least, tunnel fighter represents a sentinel/guardian PAM style incredibly well, or even another flavor oriented melee approach with other setups.

Sure, there are balance mechanic considerations that should factor in to a reasonable level to ensure that the stylistic approach is conceptually realistic enough to make some facsimile of physics and visual sense, but my point is that a non magical fighter is without question the least flavored of all combatants. At a certain point, we need to expand the archetypes of these mechanics to include characters who are not just lazy and repetitive.

With any form of spellcasting, you have a huge list of leveled spells and scaling cantrips to utilize as actions.

With non magical combat, you get to do the same thing you could at level 1, but not you get the super exciting ability to…uh…do it four more times?

It’s like WoTC simply threw a stick over to people who choose non magical combat and just said, “go swing that over there, kid”.

There is a fundamental problem in melee based character fighting in 5e and the lack of versatility for adding any depth or flavor. My point was that we need to prioritize giving non magical combatants more agency in a roleplay capacity, and that INTEGRALLY requires expanding the style and variety of their fundantal combat linked identities and fighting styles-in the same way a casters identity is integrally linked to having a sweet variety of spells and powers to choose from. We need more style options so that fighters and non magical combat pathways are given agency to be more role adaptive and require situational problem solving, like a toolkit. Combat cannot be dynamic or engaging without the same mechanical flexibility for non magical styles and approaches that a caster is given. If you pick a class literally named fighter, you need to be able to put on the character cloak that word assumes in the definition so that you can engage in roleplay meaningfully.

As for the number of OAs with the original, playing TOA in a zombie attack I got like five in a single round, and I was also a level 3 fighter who ultimately didn’t have a high enough damage or to hit chance to make it incredibly unbalanced outside of niche situational encounters that I designed a survival character for to complement my group and party roles, so while it had badass moments like every class should warrant, it pretty much ONLY made me super useful against mobs, which gave that character a cool protector-through-zombie-infested-lands role that had a situation chance to shine.

It also really helped in a separate campaign at 6th level in a (VERY) deadly encounter against a displacer beast pack ambushing us in a dark forest, playing a super high wisdom based Kalashtar flavored echo knight PAM, when my party started sheltering inside the walls of my tunnel fighter’s warding zone and collectively looking for and pointing out threats. It created a highly collaborative and situational defense to ambush stalking attacks, and we actually fought our way to a large enough clearing on the battle map of a forest that we prevented them from leaping out of random trees, and we collectively managed to survive, until the rogue chased after the one surviving beast as it fled to kill it, and brought down the wrath of the alpha lol. TPK. Rip 🥲

In my DM’s defense, we play a campaign that features encounters that are rolled for scale, and part of the nature of the game is knowing when you need to flee.

The point I make with these examples is that much like a caster role is added to by their abilities in an identity capacity, so too was my fighter for both of these scenarios.

Nothing broke, nothing became an every situation spam use. I got a cool situationally useful ability to shine, and my party figured out ways to incorporate that mechanic to work together in a way that helped add to my character and identity in our dynamics.

TL:DR for non magical combatants, tunnel fighter and additional choices like it we should provide in the future add fundamental identity and stylistic agency development for a melee combatant who chooses that concept, so I believe they need to be options that we can choose at level one, and I think we need to stop whining about balance because (if you read where I address this in my original post), it is less important than addressing the huge disservice we have done to melee-and all non magical-combat in terms of versatility, creative dynamics, and combat identity based roleplay.

Tunnel fighter is one of the MANY future styles we should find a way to incorporate, and our primary concern and emphasis should not be balance, so much as agency and choice. If we had taken this approach to all combat spells, we would have what, 12 spell choices EVER? It is a totally ridiculous double standard.

The flaw in non magical combat is the lazy mechanic of simply adding more attacks.

I agree with the proposed line of thinking about a method that requires more of a characters action economy in the rules of tunnel fighter and other future mod styles as a fix, although I do not have a perfect suggestion myself.

Thanks for responses so far! Sorry I needed a while to get back to you!