PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare in Katapesh OOC

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-24, 01:54 PM
IC thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?645185-Nightmare-in-Katapesh-IC)
Recruitment thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?644819-Nightmare-in-Katapesh-(RP-Heavy-PF2E-Campaign)-4-23-submission-deadline)

Welcome to the Nightmare in Katapesh OOC thread. Here is where we raise out of game concerns. Also, here is where the in game information will stored and additional info about the setting and NPCs will accumulate. If you really like something in the game, here is where to let me know. If you really dislike something about the game, or have concerns about the current direction, here is also where you should let me know. I really want this game to be fun for everyone, and feedback definitely helps.

Characters

Character
Player
Class
Race
Hero Points

Kharesh Hammerfist (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2072369)
Starbin
Monk
Dwarf (Pahmet)

Gurmok (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2625882)
Gwynfrid
Cleric
Goblin

Mauricio Averni (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2626895)
Prehysterical
Investigator
Human (Tiefling)

Dalnu Tuvasseh (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2666472)
farothel
Sorcerer
Elf (Ancient)

Sadar Al'Hamar (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2625532)
DrK
Fighter
Human

Kheti ibn al-jahat (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2855744)
ZeroPrime
Magus
Automaton

Retired Characters

Character
Player
Class
Race

Kali Ashmane (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2108195)
Kirjath
Ranger
Dwarf (Forge)

Gex Daelfagnim (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2627177)
BelGareth
Sorcerer
Gnome

Naturally follow all GitP forum rules, in addition I ask that:

General Posting Format

I want ALL in character posts to be in the in character thread and all out of character posts to be in this thread or the discord. Most rolls should be made in the IC thread with your post concerning the action (in a spoiler, preferably). If you screw up a roll (as we all tend to do), just post the make up roll in the OOC thread. During combat, please post a character status summary, to help us all keep track - try to keep it up to date.

“I want all character speech to be in a unique color and placed within quotations.” 1st person character thoughts should be in that same color and placed in italics.

Godmodding

General practice decrees “god mod bad.” Here I hope to explain times when I feel god modding is okay. If anyone disagrees with these standards let me know.

PC god mod another PC

The only time this is okay is when the action is completely innocuous. For example:

After reaching in to his pack, Sadar removes the heavy iridescent gem and says to Gormuk, “here , hold on to this for me.”

The goblin accepts the stone. Sadar then proceeds to climb the tree.

Here, Sadar godmodded Gormuk to do something innocuous, namely hold a mundane object. This is fine because it doesn't matter and it is better than the alternative, i.e. in the post Sadar holds out the stone for Gormuk to take it. Everyone waits until the post of, “ Gormuk takes the stone without comment.” appears and then Sadar's next action is posted. Still, it is better to avoid doing even such innocuous things if you can.

God modding should NEVER be used to have another PC say something or to ascribe any emotion whatsoever to another PC. Basically only pointless, robotic actions in service to the speed of posting. Also, the modded PC should never be made to do anything that is remotely dangerous. In the example above, if Sadar asks Gormuk to hold to the Magical Stone of Erratic Catastrophic Explosions, or even unknown purpose magical stone, that would not be okay.

PC god mod NPC

Here, there is a bit more freedom. Basically, you should never have an NPC say anything that I would potentially have to undo. The NPC would never commit to any terms or say anything that would influence you or another PC. However, for instance, after you've agreed to the merchant last proposed price (that I made), then you are free to god mod the remainder of the transaction.

DM mod PC

I will do this occasionally under the following circumstances:

To provide emotions or action you do not control or entirely control (for instance fear effects or actions under confusion)
To provide information that you don't know your character would know (I'll also often do this over PM)
The first post, when I shuffle you all about
To progress the narrative (for instance having your character enter a room they were invited into rather than wait for everyone to post “I enter the room”
More importantly, for actions in combat (and possibly elsewhere), I will force your character to take an action (or possibly to take no action) if everyone else has acted and we are waiting on you for a bit. I hope this will never come up, but to be realistic, it will.
Some instance I'm probably forgetting...

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-24, 05:42 PM
NPCs

Name Race Sex Role Status Attitude Speech
Sofh al Ustadh Kelesh Female Professor of Ancient Osirion Alive Friendly #2266ff
Zetath al Ustadh Kelesh Male Professor of Mathematics and Numerology Alive Friendly #0000FF
Sergeant Tuthani Vudrani Female Lower City Guard Alive Friendly #006400
Lieutenant Zira Haviksoog Vudrani Female Dogtown Guard Alive Friendly #cc6622
Captain Ryaa al Hisan Nidalese Male Head of Dogtown Guard Alive Friendly #dd4444

Saqr al Izarin Unknown Male Crime Lord Alive Unknown
The Alchemist Unknown Unknown Dangerous Alive Unknown
Hariq’Aswad Elf Male Nyarlathotep cult leader Alive, Captured Hostile #888888
Gregorix Damasio Chelaxian Male Hired muscle Alive, Captured Unfriendly #B22222
Rat Bone Halfling Female Dogtown Information Broker Alive Indifferent #885522
Kathalra al Rath Gnoll Female Spotted Hide Slaver Alive Unfriendly #AA00FF
Jaghun Gnoll Male Spotted Hide Slaver Alive Unfriendly #66AA66
Sapha Kelesh Female Sapha’s Gang Alive Indifferent #559955
Phinnaeus human? Male Sapha’s Gang Alive Friendly #ff0000
Gallwu Kelesh Male Sapha’s Gang Alive Friendly #8B4513
Palla Half-orc Female Sapha’s Gang Alive Indifferent #008000
Purheegee Gnoll Male Spotted Hide Slaver Dead Hostile #8B4513

Kamil al Shiysha Kelesh Male Hookah Lounge Alive Friendly #aa77aa
Paggron Goblin Male Alchemist Shop Alive Indifferent #800000
Erthin Vudrani Male Craft Carriages Alive Friendly #B22222
Galtho Thiranyi Vudrani Male Write Stuff Alive Friendly #A9A9A9
Belinda al Thrakow Kelesh Female Witch Alive Indifferent #EE82EE
Hlaspek al Varr Gnoll (exiled) Male Spice Merchant Alive Unfriendly #FF8C00
Alanna Vudrani Female Caravan Broker Alive Indifferent #AAAAAA
unknown Ulfen Male Caravan Broker Alive Indifferent #AAAA00

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-24, 05:44 PM
A horde of qlippoth burst into the market after a man in yello turban interacts with a strange rod. The heroes, coincidentally in that location, dispatch the monsters. An artifact merchant, Zetath al Ustadh, begs them for aid in finding his captured wife, Sofh. Her caravan never arrived from Solku. They speak with a gnoll spice merchant, Hlaspak al Varr, and negotiations go... suboptimally. The party heads to the daystall caravans and get a lead to a gnoll slaver, Kathalra al Rath, in dogtown. She insists she doesn't know about this, but Jaghun, another gnoll in the bar, says he knows who took her and gives you an address. Jaghun’s lead proves false, as he simply sent the PCs to kill some street urchins he didn’t like. After a fight, the urchins enter into an uneasy truce with the heroes. Dalnu, briefly held captive by these people, joins the party in their search for Sofh. The street urchins tell the party that the sewer-dwelling Purheegee, Jaghun’s son, is likely the one who has Sofh. With the exception of Dalnu, the heroes spends the night there.
Kali departs in the morning. An old muckraker tells the where gnolls are in the sewer. The heroes descend into the sewer, fight some rats, and find some old treasure. They then attack Purheegee and his mate. A gnoll child flees and alert the Zephyr guard. The heroes rescue ten sick and beaten women who were caged there, Sofh among them. The Zephyr Guard arrives and brings the heroes to prison. A few hours later, a Captain al Hisan makes a deal with the heroes to get rid of their problem, if they solve the issue he is having with the drug known as Bliss. The party split a large room in a hotel.
Gozren 26, 4722 AR: Rest, items sold, runes transferred, talismans affixed.

Meet Kamil al Shiysha at the Hookah Lounge. Learn Bliss is being sold by a Chelaxian merc named Gregorix. Tracked down Sofh and Zetath's home, visited the two. They promised to invite you over soon. Asked around about Rat Bone, the information broker. The halfling found the party, and sold them information on Gregorix, including where he would be a little before dusk. The party buys kaftans and coffee, and waits for Gregorix. They follow him north to a compound on the coast.

After waiting until dusk, they creep into the compound through the water. They witness an incredibly aged elf preaching to an audience. When they move to investigate, the crowd sees them. The elf commands them to capture you, and cut down nearly twenty unskilled, but eager assailants.

Investigating finds Kharesh charmed by an alien creature, who later identifies itself as the Scry of Leng (among many names). The party is oblivious to its presence for the moment and follows the elf underground. He reveals himself to be Hariq’Aswad, a priest of Nyarlathotep. He offers bliss to the party, but discussion sours and battle ensues. The party narrowly defeats him, Gregorix, and a very feral gnoll. Gregorix notes that Saqr al Izarin will kill all of you.

After getting Kharesh to do some odd tasks at its behest, Scry further charms Gurmok and communicates with the others telepathically in every tongue simultaneously. The creature says so disturbing things, but only reacts hostilely when Dalnu tries to lead Hariq’Aswad away. The party fight the creature and narrowly survives. Gregorix flees during the battle, but Dalnu manages to pick him off at range.

The party ransacks the compound for valuables, brings Hariq’Aswad and Gregorix back to Katapesh. They report to Captain al Hisan.

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-24, 05:46 PM
XP: 290/1000

Loot! (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FHBnG36tumojHU8TtHt71X-HtTQ5v4PsPaGmrLJMqXQ/edit?usp=sharing)

Katapesh
The Rabid Dog - gnoll bar (Moss Pelt, Jaghun, Kalratha al Rath)
Guard barracks / Prison (Lieutenent Zira Haviksoog, Captain Ryaa al Hisan)
Sapha's Gang hideout (Sapha, Palla, Gallwu, Phinnaes)
Sirocco Asylum - sanitarium

Guard barracks / Prison (Sergeant Tuthani)
Azure Star - fancy restaurant

Katapesh University
Home of the al Ustadhs (Sofh and Zetath)

Outside of City

Prehysterical
2022-04-24, 05:53 PM
Glad to be in!

"I, Mauricio, shall reserve the color of purple to denote my speech."

Kirjath
2022-04-24, 06:16 PM
Thank you for setting all of this up, I look forward to having a good time with everyone.

I think a good light blue would fit Kali just fine, unless someone else really likes this color.

Gwynfrid
2022-04-24, 10:11 PM
Thanks for picking me! I'm delighted to be in such esteemed company.

My color will be my favorite Teal.

I'll post a cleric sheet by morning.

Starbin
2022-04-24, 11:43 PM
Kharesh Hammerfist (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2072369), wandering sand dwarf monk from Osirion

Thanks for the opportunity! I’ll use this one for speech and such. Bold is usually loud or emphatic, italics are whispers, italics w/o quotes are thoughts.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/1b/f5/be1bf557544d51ca7749afb654016817.jpg

1) Do you know your father and mother? Kharesh barely remembers them, as they died when he was a youth.
If there are no known natural parents, who raised you? He was initial raised by his parents, then was raised by the townsfolk (like a community orphanage with no centralized location)
What are their names? Kal'ra (father) and Quera (pronounced Ker-rah, mother)
Are they alive? No. Father was killed by a sand scorpion, and his mother was in an attack by desert wyrms
What do/did they do? His father was a hunter, and his mother was a teacher.
Where did/do they live? They lived just outside the city of Tar Kuata.
What is your relationship with them then and now? As a child, the relationship was normal.

2) Do you have any siblings or close extended family members? No other family that Kharesh knows of.

3) Why is your character in Katapesh? He is on a journey of reflection on the road to self-perfection. The city was the latest destination on his path.
How do they feel about the city? Kharesh is intrigued by the exoticism and otherwordly feel of the city. He is hopeful he can find challenges to his continued personal growth.
How committed are they to staying there? As much as it challenges him, he will remain. Or until called to continue his journey.

4) What did your character do before this? He grew up learning a smattering of skills, as the orphans of his town lived with several families over the course of their childhood. However, once he was of age, he turned to a martial path and joined the Ouat as an aspirant.
In what way do they interact with their previous life? He has since departed the ranks of the Ouat and forged out on his own, due to philisophical differences. Having been gone from home for nearly a year, so he has no real interaction with monastery. However, he still uses the skills he learned from them.
How did they receive training in their class? As an aspirant to the Ouat.
What motivates your character to adventure in general? He seeks challenges to find self-perfection, while maintaining a tie to his dwarven heritage.

5) What are your character’s long term goals (‘no goals’ is a fine answer)? Self-perfection. But while the answer is easy, the path is long and arduous ... and it may never be achievable.
How committed are they to these goals? Totally. That is the purpose of his journey. However, as he moves along, he doesn't want to lose site of who he is and where he came from.
What might cause them to change these goals? If he began to see that self-perfection meant sacrificing the traditions of the past, and forgetting who his people are and where they came from, it would severely challenge his perspectives on what 'self perfection' means.

6) Is there anyone who your character hates or who hates your character? Kharesh doesn't hate anyone - there's never been a reason, and such petty emotions feel like they are incongruous with the end path of a monk. Whether someone hates him, however, is debatable. He does not think he's given any cause for hatred, but that's in the eye of the beholder, not the beheld. The Ouat were ... disgruntled ... over their difference in approaches to perfection, and his subsequent departure. But it did not seem like hate.
If none of those apply, how would you best describe your relationship or lack thereof? With regards to the Ouat, the main point of contention is whether one must give us the traditions of the past and connections with one's people in order to achieve one's true self. The Ouat believe all of those things are distractions and should be cast aside and washed away. Kharesh feels differently.

7) What are your character's hobbies? Kharesh has few hobbies, per se. He finds the most fulfillment in training, and performing various katas to calm his mind and focus his soul. However, shortly after his arrival in Katapesh, he realized he does enjoy seeing place and objects of significant historical significance, especially as they apply to dwarven clans.
Are there any particular reasons your character enjoys these things? The training helps him focus, and release any stress he might have, while ensuring his body and mind are strong to face trials and tribulations of the future. His fascination with the historically significant ties to his strong ties to community and tradition.

8) One stranger in trouble asks your character to help them, why do you help? Because the challenge is one he cannot refuse, and when someone from the community reaches out, it is customary for all to help them.
Another stranger in trouble asks your character to help them, why don’t you help this one? Just because you seem honest and true does not make you so. All that glitters is not gold, and not all who wander are lost. When Kharesh senses deceit or duplicity, he will be reluctant at best to lend his aid.

9) An opportunity arises that your character is uniquely poised to capitalize on - it could be very dangerous, but there could be a sizable reward. What makes your character want to do it? The challenge itself! Danger is simply a stone upon which one can test themselves - steel sharpens steel.
What makes them go along with it despite initial reservations? Self-doubt is the antithesis of self-perfection ... just because the task is hard and failure is possible does not mean it isn't worth attempting.
What fails to motivate them to go for it? If the task is something the requestor could easily do themselves. Kharesh is not a servant or errand boy. Additionally, if the true intent is for purposes he cannot support, he will turn away from the task ... or perhaps even stand in the path to prevent it.
What forces them to turn the opportunity down? Only when he has previously pledged his support to another legitimate task (presuming both are equal in scope and importance).

10) The campaign will begin at the Katapeshi grand bazaar, a sprawling, nearly city wide weekly mercantile event where anyone who isn’t out buying is selling.
Why specifically is your character there? (Hint: wanting to buy something may be a good idea.)
As he often does, Kharesh seeks any trinkets that speak to his dwarven ancestors, or weapons of dwarven-make that strike his fancy. He also keeps an eye out for manuscripts of ancient and modern martial arts techniques

DrK
2022-04-24, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the inclusion
I look forward to the game. PF2e will be a learning experience for me
Sadar will speak in bold if that’s okay as on a phone that’s as much as I can manage sometimes

Gwynfrid
2022-04-25, 08:33 AM
I realized I'm still hesitating between cloistered cleric and warpriest. Plus, I'm traveling for work right now, meaning there's less online time (other than for work...). I may need a couple more days, sorry about that.

BelGareth
2022-04-25, 09:33 AM
Nice, thanks!

I'll take...green?

Starbin
2022-04-25, 12:15 PM
Nice, thanks!

I'll take...Orange

This is different from the color I chose ... how? :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2022-04-25, 03:19 PM
This is different from the color I chose ... how? :smallbiggrin:

it's not. :smalleek:

it's also bold....le sigh

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-25, 10:08 PM
I realized I'm still hesitating between cloistered cleric and warpriest. Plus, I'm traveling for work right now, meaning there's less online time (other than for work...). I may need a couple more days, sorry about that.

No worries - I will probably start the IC once I am ready. You should have plenty of time to wrap up the sheet before it is needed.

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-26, 01:03 AM
Okay, IC thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?645185-Nightmare-in-Katapesh-IC) is up. I will keep checking over sheets, and we will await Gurmok.

There was significant godmodding to move you about, but in your first IC post, please describe your character and feel free to interact with those around you. I also encourage you to read the content from the other players, at least for a moment, to help you familiarize yourself with their character's personality.

It is absolutely unnecessary, but if there are strong reasons any of you think you may have met another of the characters before, feel free to sort that OOC (here or discord). Short of long lost twins, anything you want to come up with should be fine (no connections at all are also completely fine).

Gwynfrid
2022-04-26, 08:33 AM
Here is a character sheet for Gurmok, goblin cleric of Irori (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2625882). I might purchase some more equipment but otherwise I think he's done.

SanguinePenguin
2022-04-26, 12:03 PM
I meant to do this earlier, but forgot. As a "reward" for the time investment of filling out the background questionairre, I wanted your character to be trained in additional fitting lore skill reflecting this background. I went through the sheets (no problems spotted by the way), and picked out what I think are reasonable additional lore skills your character would have based on hobbies, history, etc:

Sadar - lore(gnolls)
Kharesh - lore(pahmet)
Gurmok - lore(Irori)
Gex - lore(Nex)
Kali - lore(woodcraft)
Mauricio - lore(midwifery) (which you already have, so feel free to use the slot on something else)

If you think something else is more fitting, let me know. You can add that you are trained in that lore skill to your sheet.

BelGareth
2022-04-26, 04:13 PM
I meant to do this earlier, but forgot. As a "reward" for the time investment of filling out the background questionairre, I wanted your character to be trained in additional fitting lore skill reflecting this background. I went through the sheets (no problems spotted by the way), and picked out what I think are reasonable additional lore skills your character would have based on hobbies, history, etc:

Sadar - lore(gnolls)
Kharesh - lore(pahmet)
Gurmok - lore(Irori)
Gex - lore(Nex)
Kali - lore(woodcraft)
Mauricio - lore(midwifery) (which you already have, so feel free to use the slot on something else)

If you think something else is more fitting, let me know. You can add that you are trained in that lore skill to your sheet.

what is Nex ?

EDIT: lol, i know what it is, Thanks!

Gwynfrid
2022-04-26, 08:13 PM
Skill added to my sheet, and thanks.

what is Nex ?

EDIT: lol, i know what it is, Thanks!

Classic case of the character's who's way more knowledgeable than the player :smallbiggrin:

BelGareth
2022-04-26, 08:45 PM
Skill added to my sheet, and thanks.

Classic case of the character's who's way more knowledgeable than the player :smallbiggrin:

lol, yeah, I was scratching my head and then realized I had put that into his backstory!

Kirjath
2022-05-01, 07:30 AM
It occurs to me that Kali is probably making a request, so a Diplomacy check is most likely required. On the off-chance it is, I'll roll here if that's ok (or I could post again in the IC thread if that's more appropriate).

Here goes an untrained diplomacy check:
[roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-03, 01:16 PM
Maddening Display (Will DC18)
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]
[roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15]
[roll16] [roll17]

Crit success: unaffected - Person
Success: stupefied 1 for 1 round - Gurmok
Failure: stupefied 1 for 1d4+1 rounds - Sadar, Gex, Kali, Mauricio , Zetath, Yellow
Crit Failure: stupefied 2 for 1 minute, and confused for 1 round - Kharesh

Kharesh will randomly attack targets in range. If you think he would draw a melee weapon to do so, he can use an action for that. Otherwise, he attacks Zetath or spidery-thing 1. (d2)

Starbin
2022-05-03, 02:07 PM
Well let's see how crappy this will be ...
[roll0]
1 = Spider Thingie
2 = Zetath

EDIT: Sigh. Of course it did ...

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-04, 11:43 PM
Damage to yellow turban [roll0] [roll1]

Daze Vs Dc 16 [roll2]

Revolting Display (Will DC17) (stupified included)
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Crit success: unaffected - Zen
Success: sickened 1 for 1 round - Sadar, Kharesh, Mauricio
Failure: sickened 1 - Gurmok, Gex
Crit Failure: sickened 2 and stunned 1 - Kali

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-05, 02:23 PM
Reflex Damage [roll0]
[roll1] 1 damage
[roll2] (includes -2 for being mounted) 3 damage
[roll3] 3 damage

Gex attack Fort saves
[roll4] 6 damage (2 bleed)
[roll5] 1 damage (no bleed)

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-05, 02:58 PM
Gex attack Fort saves (cont'd)
[roll0] No Damage
[roll1] 1 damage (no bleed)

Prehysterical
2022-05-05, 08:43 PM
Devising a Stratagem against X2: [roll0]

Edit: Changing targets due to X1 being incapacitated.

BelGareth
2022-05-06, 01:21 PM
Gex vomitting:

[roll0] vs dc 17
[roll1] vs dc 17
[roll2] vs dc 17

Gwynfrid
2022-05-06, 05:44 PM
Reflex Damage [roll0]
[roll1] 1 damage
[roll2] (includes -2 for being mounted) 3 damage
[roll3] 3 damage

Gex attack Fort saves
[roll4] 6 damage (2 bleed)
[roll5] 1 damage (no bleed)

Indeed, I was way behind... Fixed my post accordingly. Also, thanks for the point about -2 for being mounted, I had missed that entirely.

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-09, 05:39 PM
Fort:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Sadar AoO: [roll4] Damage: [roll5]

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-10, 11:15 AM
Gex has absolutely never seen one, but based on their chaotic forms, and how their mere presence was such an offense to humanoid senses, he thinks these things could be qlippoth, the primordial denizens of the abyss. He also knows that they were not summoned, but actually brought here, since their corpses are just laying there rather than dissipating back to the abyss.

SanguinePenguin
2022-05-13, 12:27 AM
Kharesh - society What Zetath says pretty much checks out with Kharesh’s understanding. The industry of raiding caravans near Katapesh, then selling them back definitely happens. Pretty much all caravans have a lot of guards for precisely that reason. A few people slip through, either because no one knows they are arriving, they don’t have anyone to buy them, or they are outbid - ironically, that only happens with the destitute or the very skilled.

Mauricio - mercantile That price is definitely on the higher end, but it also definitely happens. Usually when two conditions are met: the enslaved person is exemplary at something - usually something valuable, and two or more parties get into a bidding war. According to Zetath, his wife satisfies the former, whether she’d satisfy the latter is up to chance. Additionally, he knows that the city definitely allows this practice. Katapesh’s two biggest exports are pesh and slaves. There is a trend for these extortees to be fairly well treated in their short time as slaves as it keeps the public outrage to a minimum.

Mauricio - legal There is little that can be done legally once someone enters Katapesh as a slave. If bought, they can be freed, but otherwise the law is set up to unambiguously favor the slave owners. However, Zetath is also correct that if the slave owner doesn’t go through the effort of making a proper paper trail, then simply taking them back is enough. The paper trail does require more effort, time and money - so it is frequently overlooked. To many slavers it is just as effective to keep the slaves hidden until the short time until auction. On the other hand, what Zetath is asking you for is definitely illegal. The repercussions would only be severe is the slaver is a card carrying member of the slavers guild - which isn’t too likely from one of these ragtag extortion rackets. Mauricio also knows that many in the Zephyr guard would be willing to turn a blind eye for a one off slave liberation, for a nice bribe at least.

Prehysterical
2022-05-17, 07:19 PM
Intimidate: [roll0]

Starbin
2022-05-19, 11:43 AM
Messed up the die roll with punctuation :smallbiggrin:

[roll0] (not sure about the modifier here ... wis?)

BelGareth
2022-05-25, 04:17 PM
WOW, just WOW.

SanguinePenguin
2022-06-18, 02:14 PM
As to gnolls, the behavior for outsiders is different than for gnolls interacting with gnolls. Outsiders should show some deference to all gnolls, big not too much lest you be viewed as a slave. Contradicting or challenging a gnoll in any way, especially in front of other gnolls, often results in a violence. If a gnoll challenges you though, backing down is a mistake and a sign of weakness. If explicitly invited to engage with the gnoll, you can generally take them at their word at least for the short term. Embarrassing them can result in a short term victory, but they will often seek revenge later. Never push, guide, or coerce them toward doing any thing resembling work. Do not speak to their slaves.

Tl;dr - be polite, don’t challenge, don’t escalate, don’t back down.

I pooled the party’s knowledge and made an aggregate that I assume would have been discussed on the journey to here.

SanguinePenguin
2022-07-11, 12:08 PM
Sadar’s assessment of the ladder is that it’s not in great condition. Gurmok and Gex would have no trouble, Sadar, Kharesh, Mauricio, and Kali could do it but would have to be very careful about which slats could support their weight.

Acrobatics DC 13 (Medium only)
(Crit) Success - ascend
Failure - fall 10 ft
Crit fail - as fail and destroy ladder

Kharesh is pretty sure with a good jump, he could grab the bottom of the hatch, but the taller members of the party, Mauricio and Sadar, could surely just reach it.

Although pretty quiet, he can tell at least someone is inside.

SanguinePenguin
2022-07-23, 04:12 PM
Sorry for the delay - initiative here - IC post coming soon

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

Prehysterical
2022-07-23, 07:16 PM
Devise a Stratagem: [roll0]

What kinds of armor are these people wearing?

farothel
2022-07-24, 09:21 AM
Link (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2666472) to Dalnu Tuvasseh, so you can have a look if you want.
I'll use blue in my speech.

SanguinePenguin
2022-07-28, 01:18 AM
Some rolls that affect the round...:
T Will vs Gurmok: [roll0]
R Will vs Gex: [roll1]

DrK
2022-07-28, 03:07 AM
ouch, that was sore. Didn't expect to go down so quickly

farothel
2022-08-04, 03:15 PM
I'll be away from the 6th of August until the 23rd. While I normally should have internet at my destinations, I will be slower in replying, especially the last 5 days when I'm at the Discworld Con.

Starbin
2022-08-23, 01:28 AM
Healing rolls [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2022-08-23, 12:40 PM
@Kharesh
The man’s answer seemed very honest, but he clearly was inflating what he thought the information was worth. He was pleasantly surprised that Sadar paid him the amount in full.

Prehysterical
2022-08-29, 05:59 PM

Prehysterical
2022-08-30, 12:49 PM
Using a Hero Point to reroll the Fort save against Filth Fever: [roll0]

Starbin
2022-08-30, 02:04 PM
I suppose it can't get any worse ... unless I roll a 1 and end up with the same result AND no reroll :)

[roll0]
EDIT: WHEW!

farothel
2022-08-31, 01:58 PM
I'll be on holiday from Saturday. While I will have internet (normally) the first days, it will probably not be all that good and from the 8th until the 19th or 20th, I will have no internet at all. From then on until the 29th (when I'll be back) it's probably spotty again. GM feel free to bot my character where needed during my no-internet period.

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-01, 05:59 AM
@DrK I think you missed my comment about the AOO against R3. As you did not use your reaction, I’ll apply it to the this AoO.
AoO: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-01, 06:13 AM
Fort save Swarm [roll0]

DrK
2022-09-01, 11:33 AM
@DrK I think you missed my comment about the AOO against R3. As you did not use your reaction, I’ll apply it to the this AoO.
AoO: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Sorry, i did miss that. But you can keep rolling my attacks, you roll better than I do :smallsmile:

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-01, 12:01 PM
As a DM maybe, RIP Hastur…

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-05, 09:40 PM
Dalnu thinks the purple gem, an amethyst, well cut and large, should be worth about 15 gold. The opaque oval is a bloodstone and worth about 2 gold. The red sphere is a carnelian that should be worth about 7 gold. The glowing stone looks to be fluorite, and she would put its value at a few silver, except for the glowing.

(While RAW detect magic wouldn’t tell you what is magic, there are simple ways to do this that could be done with time. So, she wouldn't know now, but for latter.) The claws, glowing crystal, and all three large flat stones are magic. The other three gemstones are not.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

BelGareth
2022-09-05, 10:33 PM
rolling to ID items:

[roll0] claws
[roll1] glowing crystal
[roll2] 3 large flat stones
[roll3] 3 large flat stones
[roll4] 3 large flat stones

Prehysterical
2022-09-06, 06:26 PM

Prehysterical
2022-09-07, 07:48 PM
Crossbow Strike at H1: [roll0]
[roll1] piercing damage

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-08, 02:47 PM
H1 will save: [roll0]

Prehysterical
2022-09-09, 10:12 PM

DrK
2022-09-10, 02:55 PM
correcting the botched attack roll [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-10, 08:48 PM
Correction: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-15, 09:06 PM
Legal situation here is dicey. You are definitely breaking the law by freeing his slaves.

If he has done the proper paperwork, legally, he can take the slaves back (if he is alive). He could also get the Zephyr guard to take the slaves back. Although you don’t see any paperwork here, it could be at a different location.

If he has not done the paperwork, and you walk out with the women, there is little he can do legally. Although if any women admit they were his slave and were freed that could cause some issues. Granted he will likely want revenge.

Oddly enough, legally the consequences for you for killing the gnolls would be a slap on the wrist. Assuming they are not a guild members, there might be a fine. Taking their property however would likely result in a period of servitude (being made a slave for the individual slighted or the highest bidder).
Purheegee lives in the sewers. While gnolls are hardly renowned for cleanliness, this is not a typical dwelling for a gnoll. Gnolls tend to live together in a pack structure. That Purheegee is down here with just two other gnolls suggests he is very unpopular among most gnolls in his tribe. Though both certainly exist, typically with gnolls, pack bond trumps family bond. As the gnolls seem to have done everything short of exiling Purheegee, he is unlikely to be missed.

Though one ran off, you are skeptical that other gnolls would rush to his aid.

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-20, 07:21 PM
A few things:

1) I will advance the game soon, but I have a very long post to write and not a lot of time to do it over the next few days.

2) You have all hit level 2. Please level up!

3) If you want to do any character modifications, some design choices you perhaps haven't liked or expected more from, feel free to swap out skills / feats. If you want to do a larger overhaul (e.g., changing race or class), we can discuss that.

4) I know I've also have been laying a bunch of hooks on the horizon, so my apologies if I've been doing a mediocre job providing... depth perception... to continue the analogy past its welcome. I want your characters to be interacting with the world and seeing it developing alongside you. I want you to see future challenges and opportunities, but I don't want them to be too distracting.

5) It is also a good time for a temperature check. This is of course a custom campaign. This was only the first chapter, and there are a lot more exciting things coming (I think anyway). Let me know if you have any critical feedback about the game. I want everyone to be enjoying it, so if that isn't happening, let me know, and we can figure out what is needed.

Discussion can take place on discord. I just wanted to put it here to make sure everyone sees it.

Prehysterical
2022-09-21, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I'm rolling a Lore (Legal) check to see if we're being set up: [roll0]

DrK
2022-09-24, 03:30 PM
I'll level Sadar up to level 2. Apologies he's been quiet this week. It was a busy one at work.

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-27, 12:37 PM
The following items are magic:
Runed battle axe
2 vials of red liquid
Large canine tooth
2 large flat stones
Large flat stones with runes
2 Three inch long claws
Glowing lime-green gemstone

BelGareth
2022-09-27, 12:40 PM
Runed battle axe [roll0]
2 vials of red liquid [roll1], [roll2]
Large canine tooth [roll3]
2 large flat stones [roll4], [roll5]
Large flat stones with runes [roll6]
2 Three inch long claws [roll7], [roll8]
Glowing lime-green gemstone [roll9]

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-27, 01:25 PM
Battle axe with a +1 rune
2 vials of red liquid - minor healing potion
Large canine tooth - Wolf Fang
2 large flat stones - Runestones (empty)
Large flat stones with runes - Runestone for +1 weapon
2 Three inch long claws - Owlbear Claw
Glowing lime-green gemstone - Potency Crystal

(Technically, you didn’t get the “Runestone” but I feel that would be a special kind of stupid to not infer that from the one you did ID)

BelGareth
2022-09-27, 01:56 PM
Loot google sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XAKWb4UmTqJsHwU2MIdYmrVIkYfFaU6aeXQ5Jr1gtLM/edit?usp=sharing)

DrK
2022-09-27, 02:00 PM
Could Sadar grab one of the +1 runestones to make his falchion +1? As primary melee its quite useful for him
(the potency rune would also be quite cool with power attack for a nasty alpha strike bit I don't wnat to be greedy!)

BelGareth
2022-09-27, 05:58 PM
Could Sadar grab one of the +1 runestones to make his falchion +1? As primary melee its quite useful for him
(the potency rune would also be quite cool with power attack for a nasty alpha strike bit I don't wnat to be greedy!)

I would suggest Sadar for the potency rune as well, you are the main front line fighter.

SanguinePenguin
2022-09-28, 12:39 AM
Dalnu’s appraisal:
Silver/onyx/jade bracelet - 25 gp
Purple gem - amethyst - 10 gp
Green oval flecked with red - bloodstone - 2 gp
Large red sphere - carnelian - 8 gp

Starbin
2022-09-28, 10:36 AM
My recommendations, based on our discussions.

Sadar
- battle axe with a +1 rune transfer rune to his falchion, sell the axe
- potency crystal affix to falchion
- Wolf Fang affix to armor ... unless someone else has armor / athletics?

Kharesh
- Runestone for +1 weapon buy handwraps, affix

Mauricio
- 2x Owlbear Claws

Anyone
- 2x minor healing potions
- normally I'd say give them to the 'front liners' but if we both have battle medicine, maybe these got to folks who can't heal themselves? Or Mauricio if he's going to be in melee?

Are the 2 large flat stones - Runestones (empty) worth anything? Seems like something for a magic user to infuse later, so either Gex or Dalnu?

Sell all the non-magic loot, unless someone specifically wants something

DrK
2022-10-01, 04:23 PM
Thanks for writing the summary Starbin

farothel
2022-10-01, 04:59 PM
Are the 2 large flat stones - Runestones (empty) worth anything? Seems like something for a magic user to infuse later, so either Gex or Dalnu?

Sell all the non-magic loot, unless someone specifically wants something

An empty runestone is 3gp and can be used to place a rune (fundemantal or property) in it for later transfer to a weapon or armour. If you take a rune from a runestone, the process cracks the runestone making it useless. So it's a consumable and I would keep one or two in case we want to transfer one rune and not another on the same weapon (because the target weapon can't handle it).

Starbin
2022-10-03, 11:40 AM
messed up my roll in the IC post. : [roll0]

Prehysterical
2022-10-03, 07:25 PM
I will also roll Perception: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2022-10-04, 12:03 AM
Mauricio is certain the patrons are under the effects of pesh. Kamil himself is not under the influence at the moment. The man does not seem to hiding anything in your conversation so far, at least not intentionally. Mauricio notes that Kamil is carrying a shortsword, slightly concealed. There is also a large man resting at ease in a dark corner, barely visible. You suspect he is some sort of bouncer or bodyguard.

farothel
2022-10-04, 02:08 PM
I try to do a sense motive to see if the guy is lying about the bliss.

SENSE MOTIVE [one-action]
CONCENTRATE SECRET
You try to tell whether a creature’s behavior is abnormal.
Choose one creature, and assess it for odd body language,
signs of nervousness, and other indicators that it might be
trying to deceive someone. The GM attempts a single secret
Perception check for you and compares the result to the
Deception DC of the creature, the DC of a spell affecting the
creature’s mental state, or another appropriate DC determined
by the GM. You typically can’t try to Sense the Motive of the
same creature again until the situation changes significantly.
Critical Success You determine the creature’s true intentions
and get a solid idea of any mental magic affecting it.
Success You can tell whether the creature is behaving normally,
but you don’t know its exact intentions or what magic might
be affecting it.
Failure You detect what a deceptive creature wants you to
believe. If they’re not being deceptive, you believe they’re
behaving normally.
Critical Failure You get a false sense of the creature’s intentions.

SanguinePenguin
2022-10-04, 03:33 PM
The man is behaving normally as far as you can tell. While he is certainly trying to get you to patronize his establishment, he does not seem to be engaged in any significant deception.

SanguinePenguin
2022-10-10, 02:01 PM
As a reminder to all, though you didn't speak with him, you have encountered Moss (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25491212&postcount=121) Pelt before (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25496388&postcount=126).

SanguinePenguin
2022-11-02, 12:26 PM
There could be a variety of natural creatures in these coastal waters, but only a few dangerous ones might be this close to shore: crocodiles, crabs, sea urchins, snakes, maybe a very rare shark. That said, the presence of humanoids and fishery activities would probably drive most of these away from the immediate area. Some dangerous fey are possible as well, notably a kelpie might live somewhat close to humanoids, but very unlikely this close. The water is unlikely to be very deep close to shore, even Gurmok should be able to keep his head above water.

SanguinePenguin
2022-11-03, 01:16 AM
On the one hand, the clear views, flat ground, and sparse vegetation make for terrible concealment opportunities - a scrubby bush here and there, but for the most part nothing. The flipside of this is along the flat adobe walls you see no one, no other guards than the two who were seated on the south side. A building inside the compound has a second floor that sticks up a bit higher than the wall, but right now you can’t see anyone there. There is no entrance on the long western wall parallel to the coast or on the short northern wall. Aside from the guarded door, there is only wading around to the east as a possible entrance. You are pretty sure if you close against the wall no one inside or the guards would see you, but anyone outside could see you easily, and given how clear it is, you could see them easily too.

SanguinePenguin
2022-11-18, 11:36 AM
Gex has heard of Leng. He doesn’t know much about it, but has trouble imagining that “bringing it here” could conceivably be a good thing. It is said to be an awful inhospitable demiplane of nightmares within the Dreamlands (which are themselves within the Ethereal plane).

Prehysterical
2022-11-24, 08:46 PM

SanguinePenguin
2022-11-28, 12:29 AM
A single crucial roll - [roll0]

Prehysterical
2022-11-28, 09:46 PM
Devise a Stratagem (S2): [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2022-11-29, 02:18 AM
Fort P6 [roll0] half dam, no bleed
Fort P1 [roll1] double dam, double bleed
Fort F3 [roll2]
Fort F8 [roll3]
Will drop P1, F3, F8
Zen dropped S1

farothel
2022-12-01, 01:03 PM
screwed up the damage roll: [roll0] and fire damage: [roll1]

Prehysterical
2022-12-01, 03:25 PM
Devise a Stratagem against F4: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2022-12-14, 12:27 AM
Kharesh: [roll0]
Unknown: [roll1]

Starbin
2022-12-14, 12:52 PM
Well that's ominous ...

farothel
2022-12-15, 02:27 PM
Just to let you know I'll be on vacation from now Saturday until the 6th of January. I should have Wifi on location, but I'll probably be on a bit less and certainly not during the days I travel.

SanguinePenguin
2023-01-09, 02:42 PM
@farothel: there is magic upstairs. The substantial pf2 nerf of detect magic lets you know just that.

SanguinePenguin
2023-02-03, 01:04 AM
[roll0] success
[roll1] success
[roll2] success
[roll3] fail
[roll4] fail
[roll5] fail

Prehysterical
2023-02-04, 10:40 PM
Devise a Stratagem against the elf: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2023-02-21, 10:39 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Prehysterical
2023-02-25, 06:33 PM
Devise Stratagem on elf: [roll0]

Prehysterical
2023-03-07, 07:03 PM
Devise Stratagem on elf: [roll0]

Prehysterical
2023-03-07, 07:08 PM
Devise Stratagem on gnoll: [roll0]
Wow, an automiss and an autocrit... I'll take it.

Starbin
2023-03-15, 11:07 AM
So a Fort check ... ugh. Ancient-Blooded Dwarf ancestry triggers, so adding the +1
[roll0]

EDIT: Holy biscuits, I passed!

SanguinePenguin
2023-03-15, 12:04 PM
Sadar AoO: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] miss

Prehysterical
2023-03-15, 09:59 PM
Damage to Gex from the failed Battle Medicine: [roll0]

farothel
2023-03-17, 02:09 PM
I'll be on vacation from the 18th until the 31st of March. While I do anticipate having Wifi (except for days traveling) my response might be slower. And if I drop out a few days, please just NPC me until I'm back.

SanguinePenguin
2023-03-21, 07:51 PM
Recovery checks:
Gregorix 1: [roll0]
Gregorix 2: [roll1]
Gregorix 3: [roll2]
Elf 1: [roll3]
Elf 2: [roll4]
Elf 3: [roll5]
Gnoll 1: [roll6] + bleeding [roll7]
Gnoll 2: [roll8] + bleeding [roll9]
Gnoll 3: [roll10] + bleeding [roll11]

Given Kharesh said he’d help human or elf, it makes sense for him to try to treat the elf concurrently.
Kharesh [roll12]

Gregorix is alive and is stabilized by Mauricio.
Elf is alive and is stabilized by Kharesh.
Gnoll stops bleeding on his own, and is stabilized by Mauricio.

SanguinePenguin
2023-04-02, 12:02 AM
Sadar ini: [roll0]
Dalnu ini: [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]

I thought I could save disposable resources - no such luck

farothel
2023-04-08, 01:46 PM
what to roll to know about Nyarlathotep?

SanguinePenguin
2023-04-08, 03:00 PM
Occultism or Religion or some potentially relevant lores

Addendum: As an aside, I’ve always found it a bit surprising no one took occultism in a campaign advertised as about cosmic horror.

SanguinePenguin
2023-04-08, 09:51 PM
I rolled these rather than waiting.
Gurmok has heard of Nyarlathotep. He is one of the most central deities in the elder god pantheon. His followers are typically more sane than most of the cultists who worship elder gods. When they operate, it is often to shape world events for ill. He thinks he has something to do with nightmares too.

Gex succeeds on his occultism roll, but let’s grant this to Mauricio, with the next highest roll, since BelGareth is out.
Nyarlathotep - the crawling chaos of a thousand forms, each with their own name. Inscrutable and incomprehensible, he tends to influence the world more than other elder gods. When they operate, it is often to shape world events for ill.

SanguinePenguin
2023-05-04, 12:35 AM
[roll0] vs DC 20 crit fail

[roll1] vs DC 16 fail
[roll2] vs DC 16 success
[roll3] vs DC 16 success
[roll4] vs DC 28 fail
If succeeds or critical success above only:
[roll5] vs DC 13

farothel
2023-05-11, 05:42 AM
I'm on holiday from This Saturday (13th of May) until the 28th. I should have internet so I will be available, but I'm probably on less and I won't post on travel days.

SanguinePenguin
2023-05-30, 12:21 AM
[roll0] DC 13
[roll1] DC 13 (slow from before [roll2])
[roll3] DC 13
[roll4] DC 25 if needed [roll5]

[roll6] DC 12
[roll7] DC 12
[roll8] DC 12
[roll9] DC 24 if needed [roll10]

SanguinePenguin
2023-06-14, 09:43 PM
[roll0] DC 11
[roll1] DC 11
[roll2] DC 11

Starbin
2023-08-02, 04:58 PM
I'm gonna hold responding until we can ensure this doesn't turn ugly. Kharesh doesn't plan to let the elf be taken without a much more convincing argument ...

SanguinePenguin
2023-08-06, 10:54 AM
][roll0] DC 9
[roll1] DC 9
[roll2] DC 9
[roll3] DC 22 if needed [roll4] apply to Gex

Will DC 20
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Starbin
2023-08-09, 05:00 PM
Would Call on Ancient Blood apply here? [roll0] (+1 circ if Ancient Blood applies)

farothel
2023-08-31, 03:00 PM
I'll also let you know that I'll be away from the 2nd of September until the 17th. I should have Wifi in the hotels and I take everything with me so I will be able to continue, but I might reply a bit slower at times.

SanguinePenguin
2023-09-11, 03:00 PM
Gex: [roll0] Daze Save [roll1]
Sadar: [roll2] Attack: [roll3] damage [roll4]

farothel
2023-10-08, 02:51 PM
reroll of spells, as I used one I didn't have anymore.
1 action: cast shield
1 action: cast true strike
1 action: attack: [roll0] or [roll1] (take best) for damage: [roll2]

Prehysterical
2023-10-13, 08:42 PM

Starbin
2023-10-16, 10:56 AM
@SanguinePenguin - as I understand it, I don't roll for Recall Knowledge. Did Kharesh figure anything out?

Prehysterical
2023-10-22, 11:33 PM
Attempting to Escape grapple: [roll0]

Starbin
2023-10-23, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the healing!

Gwynfrid
2023-10-23, 03:54 PM
You're welcome. I figured that if Gurmok fell before he cast his last Heal spell, he would look like an idiot. A dead idiot, possibly, but still an idiot!

Starbin
2023-10-30, 11:59 AM
Wow. I'm pretty sure I was thinking, "No critical failure, unless I roll a 1."

F&*k me. [roll0]

Prehysterical
2023-11-02, 09:00 PM
Spending a Hero Point to reroll the Medicine check: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2023-11-03, 12:12 AM
Sadar attack: [roll0] damage [roll1]
Sadar attack 2: [roll2] damage [roll3]

farothel
2023-11-03, 10:36 AM
Can I still give Gregorix a parting gift? If I can get to stand on the wall I have a spell with a 120ft reach.

SanguinePenguin
2023-11-03, 10:47 AM
There isn’t a simple way up onto the wall. Dalnu would have to climb it. She could also try to open the big doors, or go around the south outer wall through the water (which has been unexplored).

SanguinePenguin
2023-11-10, 12:16 PM
Mauricio stabilize: [roll0]
Gregorix stabilize: [roll1]
Mauricio stabilize: [roll2]
Gregorix stabilize: [roll3]
Mauricio stabilize: [roll4]
Gregorix stabilize: [roll5]

Zero Prime
2023-11-27, 05:30 AM
Greetings folks! I'm Zero and Sanguine just invited me to the game to fill out the roster, so I am looking forward to playing with you all and tearing up this town we call Katapesh! I'll be playing Kheti ibn al-jahat, an Automaton Magus ...

https://i.postimg.cc/mZHprsMs/Aluum-Remnant.jpg
Kheti ibn al-jahat, Aluum remnant (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2855744)
AC: 20 | HP: 38 | Current: 38 | Hero Points: 1
Fortitude: +9 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +7 | Perception: +5
Focus Points: 1 | Current: 1 |Spell Slots: 1st: 2/2 | 2nd: 1/1
Active Effects: Light (Arcane Core)
Conditions: None.

Kheti represents a mobile striker, something of a glass cannon, given Magus' base HP's, but a decent AC, access to the Shield Spell, and some utility from the Arcane spell list will keep him viable. Can, on-demand, burst damage, via spell strike, but access to the Wizard Dedication (eventually) will broaden the limited spell slots available to them, providing for decent out of combat utility, on top of their skill feats. Magus Analysis lets them recall knowledge, reliably, in combat, and possibly recharge their spell strike with some action economy. Not a very charismatic character, they're a golem, after all, they do have Society, and will be picking up feats like Streetwise & Courtly Graces to let them use their intelligence to Make an Impression. Medicine provides for some, solid, out of combat healing, while Crafting, and eventually, Magical Crafting, will let them swap runes, and identify other constructs.

The pathbuilder link provides a build path I have, currently, set ... though, as always, that is subject to change depending on group requirements and events that occur in play.

Kheti ibn al-jahat is a large, automaton with a dull grey, black and silver reinforced chassis, crafted of tempered steel, adamantine with some alchemical silver fittings, fixed into the center of their chest plate is a multifaceted gem, the size of a man's fist, which pulses with a blue-white light. Kheti's core is infused with the their planar quintessence, or soul, this energy infuses and flows through their golem-like chassis, visible at certain joints, where it flares to life with a rhythmic pulse, noticeable in dim light, or darkness. Their face plate is angular, it's lines moving downward to a pointed chin, Kheti views the world through two downward slanting slots, each pulsing with the blue-white astral energies which animate it's chassis, the rest of the plate is flat and featureless, it's voice echoing upwards from it's chest, a deep, sonorous voice, low, often quiet, Kheti prefers to observe before speaking, due, at times to their unfamiliarity with their own, partially, remembered, humanity.

Kheti wears a dark green, voluminous cloak, with a deep hood pulled low over their metallic faceplate, their frame is defined by wide shoulders, harsh, angular lines, and a metallic form, appear as though armored, when, in fact, it is the sturdy construction of it's frame that affords it the majority of the protections required in the harsh deserts surround Katapesh. While it does wear clothing, bot to protect it from the elements, as sand, does, indeed, get everywhere, also to conceal it's nature. Kheti fears, and avoids, the Zephyr Guard, fully aware of their origins as a remnant of some Aluum construction, whether a variant, or some sort of prototype, they are concerned that the amulets the Zephyr use to control the gargantuan Aluum constructs could remove their own sense of self, and free will. Around their neck, they wear a silver symbol of the All-Seeing Eye, a scarab upon whose shell is inscribed the symbol of Nethys, ancient God-King of Osirion, now raised to godhood through their own knowledge and mastery of the arcane arts. Strapped to their hip is a thick arcane tome, it's bound pages protected by an iron embossed, wood and leather cover, inscribed with axiomatic runes and a thick, heavy lock. Over the left shoulder protrude a long, broad bladed spear on a thick, ironwood haft, it's mid-guard covered in thick leather wrapping, as is the style of the Badawi people among whom Kheti makes their home. Whereas over the right shoulder, a long handled sword, with thick a cross guard and wide blade that tapers to a canted, crescent shaped crown.

https://i.postimg.cc/GB7PJbHD/Crescent-Blade.jpg (https://postimg.cc/GB7PJbHD)

Kheti ibn al-jahat was born in the deserts of Katapesh almost a century ago, sometime around 4600 AR, he grew up, with his parents, in a small nomadic Badawi tribe, where he learned the values of the desert peoples. Life is hard, and one's life was but a part of the greater clan, and thus, lived in service to it, Kheti grew to become a good man, a hunter, a tracker, bringing both game and water to his tribe. In time he took a wife, Zahara ism al-Assaf, uniting two Badawi tribes into one, by rite of blood and betrothal, the sigil of their union carved branded onto the flesh at the inside of their right and left wrist, respectively, so when the two were bound, their sigils would touch, uniting them. It was from his wife's father, Assaf ibn al-Qureshi, that Kheti began to be tutored in the mystic arts, as prescribed by the All Seeing Eye, the Most High Nethys, who achieved apotheosis by journeyiing to the heart of the Astral, and learning it's secrets. Soon, Kheti began to master the low tier of arcane formulae, rites and rituals that would mark him as a Badawin Magi, these studies were conducted in a cave in the Barrier Wall mountains, weeks from the clans typical migratory routes.

Kheti's arcane studies were interrupted when a young Badawi runner stumbled into the sacred cave, exhausted and dehydrated, he explained, in ragged breaths, to al-Qureshi that a Sandstalker raiding party had come across the Badawi clan, taking the most vulnerable, while slaughtering the Badawi defenders and leaving them for the jackals. Assaf and Kheti returned immediately, to discover that the young runner's report was accurate, their clan's camp was nothing but torn tents, the bodies of the Badawi defenders splayed open on blood soaked sands. Kheti swore revenge, even though Assaf counseled patience, knowing that his student's training was insufficient to the task, however, the newly wed husband was consumed by anger, guilt, and shame.

He tracked the Sandstalkers, fell upon a small scouting party and using the magicks taught him by al-Quereshi, was able to kill most, and interrogate the survivor, who informed the vengeful Kheti that the Badawi slaves had been sold in Katapesh. The magus then killed his prisoner, and stalked the sands towards Katapesh, when he entered the Fleshmarkets he began to ask many questions, seeking slaves, Badawi slaves, who had been sold within the last month. Some remembered the auction, some did not, however, he did discover that the bulk of the Badawi survivors had been purchased by a peculiar man, one Khoury Awad, an elven merchant, so something of an oddity in Katapesh, who was rumored to be employed by the Pactmakers, the odd, alien rulers of Katapesh.

He sought out Awad, discovering his estate, he crept past the Zephyr Guard stationed at it's gates, and drew, both, spell and blade, leveling them against the elven slave-trader. Awad confirmed that he had purchased Zahara for a singular Pactmaker, Xalathir the Itinerant. However, as Awad spoke his master's name, a great ward was triggered, the elf's flesh began to redden and blister as the blood within him boiled, a great flash of light and the tall, gaunt form of a Pactmaker stepped from a gate, surrounded by a retinue of Zephyr Guards, summoned by his agent revealing his identity. A thin, long fingured hand reached out for Kheti, and then there was nothingness.

After his capture, Kheti remembers little and less, a sigil, worked in orichilium, engraved in a stone ceiling, a table, thick iron bands strapping him in place, Xalathir's masked, featureless face, long fingered hands, a crystal, a knife and then blackness. The rest is interspaced light and darkness, a headsman's block, an executioners sword, the flash of the blade, the satisfying impact as keen edge cuts flesh, bone and sinew, the roar, or jeers, of the crowd. Then the stone chamber again, until finally, a familiar face, the older, wizened, a nod, a whisper, 'Do it,' the look implored, and at Xalathir's command, he took the head of Zahara's father, his mentor, and with the old man's life, Xalathir's hold on his soul bound core was broken. The construct was freed, his memories came flooding back, he stumbled, falling to the platform, his body, not one of flesh and bone, as he remembered, but of adamantine and iron, clumsy, slow, and heavy.

Chaos consumed the executioner's platform, Kheti stumbled, ran, fled the city, the Zephyr guards embroiled in a conflict with, suddenly, uncloaked Steel Falcons. The construct, Xalathir's personal executioner, fled into the desert, to collapse. Consumed with guilt and shame, his memories came flooding back to him, for a decade he wandered the wastes, untouched by hunger or thirst, but memories and ghosts haunted him. He visited the Barrier Wall where he had studied with his, now slain, master, the site of the Badawin's slaughter by the Sandstalker gnolls, and, in time, he returned to Katapesh, much had been taken from him, he had been forced to spill blood, his kinsmen's blood, at the behest of his alien master, and debts would be paid.

He lived in squalor upon his return, however, a young child, a girl of no more than thirteen offered him food and drink, not that he needed either. However, upon her outstretched wrist he saw a sigil, one his right wrist had born in life, he inquired as to it's meaning. The girl shrugged, she said it was sported by those who opposed the Pactmaster's rule, it stood as symbol of hope amidst the Fleshmarkets, a symbol of resistance. The young girl's name was Najjar Chaum, and when the Zephyr Guard came for Kheti, it was Najjar who led him to allies, who, too, opposed the Xalathir's flesh trade, the Steel Falcons, Andoran's knights errant, who opposed the very notion of slavery, whether in the Inner Sea or Garund.

Do you know your father and mother? If there are no known natural parents, who raised you? What are their names? Are they alive? What do/did they do? Where did/do they live? What is your relationship with them then and now? Kheti, in life, was a member of a tight-knit tribe of Badawi, and was well known, and loved, by his parents. They fostered in him a sense of community, loyalty and duty, life in the desert is hard, so you must do what you can to ease the way for those that follow. However, now, they are long since dead, and given the transference of his soul into Xalathir's Aluum, most of his memories are imperfect, flashes, memories and dreams.

Do you have any siblings or close extended family members? What are their names? Are they alive? What do/did they do? Where do/did they live? How did they treat you growing up? How did you treat them? What is your relationship with them now? His tribe was killed by Sandstalker gnolls almost a century ago, he has no, living, relatives that he is aware of. However, he has discovered that the betrothal sigil he shared with his wife, Zaharra, has become a symbol of hope for those slaves in Katapesh who seek to escape their masters and live free. He is not sure why that, particular, symbol was chosen, and seeks to determine the truth behind it. While he realizes that Zaharra is gone, a hundred years hence, he hopes that by discovering her story, and giving her the honor she deserves that he can reclaim a portion of himself, his memories, and be worthy of the love she once showed him, despite the horrors that he has been forced to inflict upon his own people at Xalathir's command.

Why is your character in Katapesh? How do they feel about the city? How committed are they to staying there? He travelled to Katapesh to oppose Xalathir's forces, the Zephyr Guard, and the Fleshmarkets. However, he has now made connections with an escaped slave, Najjar Chaum, and has taken her as his ward. He knows he has been the Pactmaster's executioner for decades, taking the blood of those that opposed Xalathir. He hopes, by taking Najjar, as his ward, that by protecting the child's youthful innocence, he can begin to take steps to balance the rivers of blood his soul is awash in. While he despises aspects of Katapesh, the Fleshmarkets specifically, he sees other aspects of it as beautiful, the architecture, it's history, and it's places of learning. It is a jewel that brings together a myriad of ancestries, heritages and cultures. His view of it is multifaceted, a place of grim reminders of a century of service to a cruel, inhuman master, while still viewing it through the innocent, oft naive, eyes of his ward, Najjar.

What did your character do before this? In what way do they interact with their previous life? How did they receive training in their class? What motivates your character to adventure in general? Kheti was a Badawin nomad, a hunter, a scout, and a husband, before becoming apprentice to a magi, he was then taken by a Pactmaster overlord, and his soul bound to an Aluum servant that executed that Master's enemies for nearly a decade, before his slain wife's father, broke the enchantment, setting the Aluum free. During his wandering in the wastes, he meditated in the caves at the Barrier Wall, communing with the spirit, or perhaps just the memory, of his training with al-Qureshi, perhaps even guided by the teachings of Nethys, recalling some, if not all of his arcane power, now blended with the Aluum frame. He doesn't regularly interact with his former life, as it is near a century old, and most, key figures, are now deceased. However, he holds great reverence for the Badawin peoples, harbors a great distrust of Gnolls, the Sandstalkers particularly, and despises the Pactbinders and their rule, which he feels is injust, inhumane, and believes that they are seeking something and subtly binding all of Katapesh under chains, disguised with commerce and trade. As for what motivates him, he seeks, he explores, to find answers, what were Xalathir's goals in binding him to the core that powers his Aluum chassis, why do the freedom fighter's bear his wife's sigil, how did al-Qureshi break the Pactbinder's hold over him, what has become of his tribe, and how best to reclaim his humanity.

What are your character’s long term goals (‘no goals’ is a fine answer)? How committed are they to these goals? What might cause them to change these goals? His current goals are to connect with the freedom fighters that bear his wife's sigil, to aid the Steel Falcons in their fight against the slave traders and the flesh markets, and to, at all costs, protect Najjar from harm. Given the opportunity, he would rejoin the Badawin peoples, however, he feels he would never be accepted due to the rivers of blood that stain his soul.

Is there anyone who your character hates or who hates your character? What did they do to your character? Are you jealous of them, are they jealous of you, or are you rivals? If none of those apply, how would you best describe your relationship or lack thereof? Kheti hates Pactmaster Xalathir, and will oppose him and his Zephyr Guards at any opportunity, as long as doing so would not place Najjar, or any other innocent at risk. Xalathir enslaved Kheti, bound his soul to a murderous, Aluum construct, and had him act as executioner for a century, he is not jealous of Xalathir's power, nor does he seek it for himself, but he does wish to see it torn down, to discover the truth about the Pactmasters and discover their reasons for taking control of Katapesh. Byron Graves, a member of the Steel Falcons is very distrustful of Kheti, and while the organization does work with Xalathir's former executioner, Ser Graves is the first to remind his cohorts that the Aluum could well have hidden, or secret, orders from Xalathir, perhaps even still being under his control. And while Kheti does not, fully, discount this line of thought, wishes to find some way to earn Graves' trust.

What are your character's hobbies? Are there any particular reasons your character enjoys these things? If not, why does your character do these things? As with most Badawin, pesh holds a religious significance, allowing one to commune with one's ancestors. While he is, now, unable to partake in that, specific, ceremony, he still enjoys the ambience of hookah lounges, the smoke, the quiet conversation, and, oft times, peaceful plucking of an oud. He also enjoys senet an Osirion game of strategy in which one moves pieces of their army to surround, isolate, and conquer spaces on the board. These oth bring him back to his time as a Badawin nomad, reminding him of a simpler time, removed from the guilt and shame he carries for years of, bloody, service to a tyrant.

One stranger in trouble asks your character to help them, why do you help? Another stranger in trouble asks your character to help them, why don’t you help this one? Trust is a hard thing to earn with Kheti, however, the first stranger could well remind him of a face of a Badawin clan-mate, half remembered from some fragmented dream, or another of a face turned on the block pleading, to whom, he feels, he owes a debt. Or the first stranger could ask him to oppose a cause with which he has already vowed vengeance, and so the task is a step towards, his own, goals, and the aid rendered is not for the stranger, but for his own, perhaps, selfish, reasons. The second stranger could remind him of the manipulations of the Pactmasters, the Zephyr Guards, or the task could be one that, ultimately, aids either of the two, or brings him into contact with slave traders, flesh markets, or the Sandstalker gnoll clan. However, if the second stranger were to know of Kheti's sworn enemies, he may be able to manipulate the Aluum into acquiescence by deceiving him as to the nature of the request, instead relying upon the Aluum's nature and desire to provide aid to the downtrodden, the slaves, and their allies.

An opportunity arises that your character is uniquely poised to capitalize on - it could be very dangerous, but there could be a sizable reward. What makes your character want to do it? What makes them go along with it despite initial reservations? What fails to motivate them to go for it? What forces them to turn the opportunity down? The opportunity to perform a task that would disrupt the slave trade, hurt any Xalathir trade agreements, or disrupt the Zephyr guard would be difficult for Kheti to turn down. The reward could be well spent on providing aid to Najjar and her resistance, provide food, shelter, or smuggle wanted members of the organization from Katapesh, perhaps even embed them within a Badawin tribe for protection, or concealment. If there were to be reservations, it would be about backlash against his allies, Najjar's nascent organization smuggling slaves from Katapesh, the Steel Falcon's resistance, and if that backlash were to be too great, he would, perhaps, exercise caution, not fearing retribution against himself, but against allies who were less equipped to suffer such an attack.

Hook tie-in: Your character is somehow acquainted with one Sofh al Ustadh, an academic who has done a lot of field research studying ancient Osirion ruins. She will recommend you to join on an short expedition going to one (which she will not personally be joining). Why does she recommend you specifically (some suggested ideas below)? How do you know her (and/or her spouse, Zetath, a Professor of Mathematics and Numerology)? Sofh al Ustadh is a researcher whom Kheti met at a grand bazaar, where she sought to discover the writings of one Assaf ibn al-Qureshi, a Badawin Magi who had, allegedly, discovered a rite that would grant a bound soul it's freedom, this rite was based on certain Osirion funerary rituals, and so, during her research Kheti discovered a scholar was asking about his former master. The Aluum followed the scholar, meeting her at a hookah lounge, where he shared his connection to the subject of her research. At first intimidated by Kheti's Aluum chassis, the two began to develop an academic interest in one another, she in his first-hand knowledge of the Badawin magi, and he, in her knowledge of ancient Osirion and the God-King Nethys. They, too, began to play a game of senet, moving a piece once every two or three weeks during their regular visits at a small, local, hookah lounge. The expedition concerned her, but she was confident with Kheti's arcane knowledge and durable, Aluum chassis, that he would be able to protect the team of scholars and investigators in their journey, as well as provide some knowledge given his association with the learned al-Qureshi and knowledge of local Badawin customs.

I'll be making some superficial tweaks to the backstory to fit into the game more easily, however, I need to run to work so that will have to wait until tonight ... super excited for the opportunity to join you and look forward to playing with you all.

Gwynfrid
2023-11-27, 09:54 PM
Greetings, and welcome!

Starbin
2023-11-27, 10:16 PM
Heyo Zero - welcome to the show!

DrK
2023-12-16, 11:00 AM
After a quiet hiatus Sadar will be coming back. I'm catching up on the IC and will be levelling him up to Level 3

Gwynfrid
2023-12-16, 02:41 PM
After a quiet hiatus Sadar will be coming back. I'm catching up on the IC and will be levelling him up to Level 3

Great! Welcome back!

SanguinePenguin
2023-12-17, 12:47 AM
Glad to have you back! There is a loot sheet, ooc post #4 and pinned in the discord chat. If Sadar (or Kharesh) would like to claim anything, go ahead.

SanguinePenguin
2023-12-17, 10:48 PM
Kheti has definitely heard of the Al Izarin Organization. Even back when Kheti was human, it existed in Katapesh, but it is much bigger now. Though housed in Katapesh, it has dealings throughout the inner sea region. The current head is Saqr al Izarin. It deals primarily in pesh, other drugs, and slaves. Were that the whole story, there would be nothing illegal about the business in the city at least, however, it is reputed (unproven) to engage in activities that are very illegal in Katapesh, such as (in escalating order of severity) bribery, extortion, business acquisitions through force, murder, price fixing, counterfeiting, and tax evasion.

farothel
2024-02-03, 02:30 AM
reroll the damage as something went wrong with the code in the IC
[roll0] sonic
[roll1] fire

Prehysterical
2024-02-05, 09:20 PM
Devise a Stratagem toward d2: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2024-02-05, 11:20 PM
d2 reflex: [roll0]
d4 reflex: [roll1]
d5 reflex: [roll2]
d6 reflex: [roll3]
d7 reflex: [roll4]

Prehysterical
2024-03-14, 01:10 PM

SanguinePenguin
2024-04-01, 03:59 PM
Damage [roll0]

Zero Prime
2024-04-04, 05:06 AM
Lost my original Treat Poison check due to bad formatting ... didn't like square brackets within the roll commands description. So here goes again, sorry, 1d20+6

Zero Prime
2024-04-04, 05:07 AM
Apparently I thought you could put in descriptions. [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2024-04-06, 05:22 PM
As a circumstance bonus, treat poison bonuses won’t stack. I will apply sequentially until a success and the move on. If Sadar drops below 13 HP, I’ll assume he is healed and appropriate resources are docked

Net 7 damage to Sadar - not too bad!

Fort [roll0] —>stage 3 [roll1] or [roll2]
Mauricio [roll3] Kharesh [roll4] Kheti [roll5]
Fort [roll6] +2 —>stage 1 [roll7] or [roll8] crit
Mauricio [roll9] Kharesh [roll10]Kheti [roll11]
Fort [roll12] +2 —>stage 0 [roll13] or [roll14]
Mauricio [roll15] Kharesh [roll16] Kheti [roll17]
Fort [roll18] [roll19] or [roll20]
Mauricio [roll21] Kharesh [roll22] Kheti [roll23]
Fort [roll24] [roll25] or [roll26]

SanguinePenguin
2024-04-15, 01:34 PM
Magic item IDs:

Mesmerizing Opal (https://2e.aonprd.com/Equipment.aspx?ID=225)
2 Lesser Healing potions (2d8+5)
1 vial of holy water