PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Alternate Rest and Recovery Idea (PEACH)

Gungor
2022-04-24, 07:00 PM
Greetings Playground!

I've been working on a new rest mechanic for D&D 5e and I would like some feedback on it. The goal of introducing this rest mechanic is that I want an exploration-heavy campaign where players need to make real choices on how to manage their resources and also how to balance certain risks and rewards.

I think that the "default" rest rules are too lenient on a party that has been, say, slogging for a week through an inhospitable environment. On the other hand, "gritty realism" doesn't match what I'm going for either - I want to draw a distinction between the week of adventuring in the badlands and the week where the party can operate out of the relative comfort of an inn, or even an established base camp. The "natural healing" variant (where you roll to recover HP even after a long rest) is interesting but seems to only level the tax on the martials when I want spellcasters to feel the pain as well.

So, my basic idea is two-fold. First, a long rest only succeeds if a character passes a Survival check, whose DC depends on the circumstances. If the party is resting in a ranger's favored terrain, then every party member gets to add the ranger's proficiency bonus to their check. If the check succeeds, the party member gains all of the benefits of a default long rest. If the check fails, the party member instead gains what I call a "medium rest."

The DC for the Survival check is determined by the environment and modified by how safe or unsafe the area is, as well as additional circumstances like the use of an alarm spell.

Base DC: Environment

Environment
Example
DC

Optimal
A warm bed in a comfortable inn

Hospitable
A well-struck camp with shelter and warmth

Inhospitable
A "cold camp" with minimal shelter or warmth

Threatening
Insufficient shelter for conditions; direct exposure to extreme weather

Modifiers: Surroundings

Surroundings
Example
DC modifier

Friendly
Your "home town" or an area free of enemies

Neutral
A new town or location, not known to be dangerous

Hostile
A dangerous location( e.g. a dungeon) or in the midst of enemies
+5

Modifiers: Circumstances

Circumstance
Example
DC modifier

Exhaustion
As per the condition
+1 per level of exhaustion

Hostile Interruption
Attacked during rest
+2

Non-Hostile Interruption
Non-combat encounter or "false alarm"
+1

Wards
alarm spell, locked door.

Other circumstances can raise or lower the DC at the DM's discretion.

Example: A party is traveling through some woods that they are familiar with, but know is home to some bandits. They decide to make a cold camp to minimize the risk of their being discovered. The party's wizard casts an alarm spell and they spend the night without incident. The DM decides that this was an inhospitable environment, since it is early winter, and that the surroundings were neutral (since the forest isn't teeming with bandits). The overall DC for the rest is 10, taking the alarm spell into account.

A character who fails their Survival check receives the benefits of a medium rest, defined below. They are not able to attempt a long rest for another 24 hours.

Medium Rest: A character who rests for at least 6 hours but fails to achieve a long rest is said to have gained a medium rest. At the end of a medium rest, a character regains 1/2 of their missing hit points, 1/2 of all long-rest recovery abilities (rounded down, minimum of 1), and 1/4 of their hit dice (rounded down, minimum of 1). If a character has more instances of a long-rest ability remaining than they stand to recover, they keep the higher number of uses. A character who completes a medium rest is also assumed to have completed a short rest, regains all short-rest abilities, and can spend hit dice to recover hit points if desired. A medium rest also removes one level of exhaustion.

Example: An 8-th level sorceror with a maximum of 42 HP and a current HP total of 23 completes a medium rest. The sorceror regains (42-23)/2 = 9 HP, bringing their total to 32, and regains 2 hit dice. They also regain 4 sorcery points and can cast (2,1,1,1) spells (listed by level). The player can decide to spend hit dice to raise the character's total HP if they desire. If the sorceror began their rest with 2 3rd-level spell slots remaining, then they would instead have (2,1,2,1) spells they could cast.

I know that the "medium rest" mechanic is a bit fiddly so I'd welcome input on how to modify it. I'd especially like to hear what people think about rolling for rest recovery and how the DCs look. I should mention I don't expect to use such a mechanic past about Tier 2, so I'm less interested in its effectiveness for 20th level characters than, say, 6th level characters.

JNAProductions
2022-04-24, 07:07 PM
It's an idea, but I don't like tying it to Survival exclusively.

Gungor
2022-04-24, 07:36 PM
It's an idea, but I don't like tying it to Survival exclusively.

Any other suggestions?

It seems that maybe CON should play into this as well? Should it be Survival (CON)? That way the CON modifier takes care of the "natural" part of recovery while the Survival proficiency takes care of "making the most of the circumstances"...

JNAProductions
2022-04-24, 07:38 PM
Any other suggestions?

It seems that maybe CON should play into this as well? Should it be Survival (CON)? That way the CON modifier takes care of the "natural" part of recovery while the Survival proficiency takes care of "making the most of the circumstances"...

I kinda think tying it to level or proficiency would be better.

It's so vital for everyone, that I don't think you should be ABLE to dump it.

Rilmani
2022-04-25, 12:22 PM
Option A) You could tie it to an item, like how Healing Kits are tied to Medicine. With a kit you can auto-succeed on a check to stabilize someone. I remember one homebrew idea where a kit lowered the DC to restore hit points to someone; unsurprisingly a target could only receive Medicine-check healing once per long rest (it was also reset if they were restored to their max hit points once).
So for this “Rest Check” look at useful items (Mess Kit, Tent, Non-Armor Clothing, Pillow/Blanket), items one can be proficient with, and one alternative ability check. The alternative option is the last resort, likely survival or Constitution and it’d have a slightly higher DC (or in the case of a Constitution check you wouldn’t add your proficiency mod but you’d be making a check at the existing DC).
If an item can be used to make a sleeping area more comfortable or safer in a short amount of time, then it makes sense to allow it for the check. Just don’t allow woodworking tools in the desert, for example.

Option B) After failing a check, but before choosing to accept that result, a character can choose to spend a hit die. By default they gain a bonus equal to the proficiency bonus (or constitution mod) from spending one hit die. If they have Durable feat, they can roll their hit die and gain that result as a bonus (with the minimum bonus equalling their proficiency mod or constitution mod).

If this is the setup you go with… I think it would be okay to make the Medium Rest’s duration flexible. Just increase the DC if the players want a rest of only X hours.

Option C) If you don’t want to mess with Spell Recovery, I’d say limit the benefits to the following.
-Recover all short rest abilities,
-Recover X hit dice,
-Make a saving throw to recover 1 level of exhaustion (rather than a free recovery like with a long rest),
-Make a charisma check; on a success you gain X temporary hit points and you gain Inspiration.

I’m imagining a scenario like this. A town is under siege and the party is defending it. At 1pm they survive some brutal fighting which cost them some hit points and abilities. They use an item to push the invaders back. The invaders leave and what you know if their behavior indicates they will not return until sunset, at which point they will continue their attack. The party has time for a medium rest, but the conditions aren’t ideal. If the party has to make an ability check to gain the benefits of a medium rest, they should really get something out of it. They are resting instead of pushing themselves to prepare for the next assault. And they might die before getting another long rest. Hence- gaining Inspiration.