PDA

View Full Version : Lore-Forgotten Realms-Most famous characters in each class?

Forechosen
2022-04-25, 07:35 AM
Hi there!

So I didn't think my lore was that bad, but then I was trying to think of really famous characters for each of the classes, just so I could read about them for fun - and I realised I could hardly think of any.

I mean, for Wizards there's Elminster. For Rangers there's Drizzt.. and then.. uhhm...

So who would you guys say are *the* most famous characters for each class?

Unoriginal
2022-04-25, 07:59 AM
Hi there!

So I didn't think my lore was that bad, but then I was trying to think of really famous characters for each of the classes, just so I could read about them for fun - and I realised I could hardly think of an.

I mean, for Wizards there's Elminster. For Rangers there's Drizzt.. and then.. uhhm...

So who would you guys say are *the* most famous characters for each class?

Do you mean the most famous characters who happens to belong to a specific class, or those who are most famous for belonging to said class?

Also, do you mean famous in-universe or not?

Minsc is a famous Ranger/Barbarian, for example, but he's more known for his work kicking evil's backside with his associate Boo, the miniature giant space hamster, and sometime with the Bhaalspawn.

Forechosen
2022-04-25, 08:06 AM
Do you mean the most famous characters who happens to belong to a specific class, or those who are most famous for belonging to said class?

Also, do you mean famous in-universe or not?

Minsc is a famous Ranger/Barbarian, for example, but he's more known for his work kicking evil's backside with his associate Boo, the miniature giant space hamster, and sometime with the Bhaalspawn.

Hmm that's a good point/question - I suppose I meant the latter, although aren't they entwined a bit?

Minsc is a great example, although he's famous for Boo and his escapades in Baldur's Gate etc. - he's also famously prone to 'raging' and being very barbarian-ey in general, so he's quite famous for 'being a barbarian' too, isn't he?

Honestly my train of thought was: in real life if we think of a famous spy, we get James Bond. Or a famous artist we get Picasso - the list can go on and on - But now in D&D if I think of a famous fighter... I can't think of one.

I was just wondering who were *the* most famous fighters, monks, rogues etc etc.

Lastly, if I understand you correctly I absolutely did mean 'in universe'. Forgotten Realms only. (If that's what you meant).

Edit: Oh, I think you mean if they're well known in the Realms, or just well known to us. I definitely mean famous to 'us'. I imagine the 'most famous' rogue might be completely unknown to most people in the Forgotten Realms.

Edit 2: Having said that, I also imagine the most famous characters to us might just be a list of the NPCs from the most successful computer games. Which isn't what I'm looking for. So I suppose after all I *do* mean in universe. I think. Gosh this is more to think about than I imagined.

Unoriginal
2022-04-25, 08:15 AM
Hmm that's a good point/question - I suppose I meant the latter, although aren't they entwined a bit?

Minsc is a great example, although he's famous for Boo and his escapades in Baldur's Gate etc. - he's also famously prone to 'raging' and being very barbarian-ey in general, so he's quite famous for 'being a barbarian' too, isn't he?

Honestly my train of thought was: in real life if we think of a famous spy, we get James Bond. Or a famous artist we get Picasso - the list can go on and on - But now in D&D if I think of a famous fighter... I can't think of one.

I was just wondering who were *the* most famous fighters, monks, rogues etc etc.

Fair.

In that case I would say the most famous FR Fighter is likely to be Bruenor Battlehammer, the most famous FR Rogue would likely be Jarlaxle Baenre. The most famous FR Cleric would likely be Elminster.

Lastly, if I understand you correctly I absolutely did mean 'in universe'. Forgotten Realms only. (If that's what you meant).

I meant in-universe as "the people living on the world of Toril would consider X the most famous", rather than "the readers/RPG players would consider X the most famous".

Forechosen
2022-04-25, 08:20 AM
Fair.

In that case I would say the most famous FR Fighter is likely to be Bruenor Battlehammer, the most famous FR Rogue would likely be Jarlaxle Baenre. The most famous FR Cleric would likely be Elminster.

I meant in-universe as "the people living on the world of Toril would consider X the most famous", rather than "the readers/RPG players would consider X the most famous".

Ah thank you that's just the sort of information I was looking for. I've heard of Jarlaxle (a tiny bit) but I don't think I've heard of Bruenor - those give me something to look up!

And yeah as I wrote in my messy edits I've been pondering that - I do think I mean in-universe, or otherwise we'd just end up with a list of characters *only* famous because of a video game.

KorvinStarmast
2022-04-25, 08:29 AM
The most famous FR Cleric would likely be Elminster. Probably Cadderly Bonaduce from the Cleric Quintet. :smallwink: (I certainly enjoyed them as they came out in paperback).

nickl_2000
2022-04-25, 08:32 AM
-Volo would be a decent choice for a wizard too, although not as famous as Elminster.
-Same for Mordenkainen
-Same for Tasha
-Imoen is BG famous as a Rogue, but still pretty famous.
-Also, any character who has been promoted to a diety.

Pretty much anyone who has spells with their name on them would be famous. Any of the Blackstaffs from Waterdeep would be as well.

Forechosen
2022-04-25, 08:32 AM
Probably Cadderly Bonaduce from the Cleric Quintet. :smallwink: (I certainly enjoyed them as they came out in paperback).

Ok that's somebody I definitely haven't heard of xD

Christew
2022-04-25, 08:38 AM
Barbarian - Wulfgar son of Beornegar, Obould Many-Arrows
Bard - Finder Wyvernspur, Storm Silverhand, Joel the Rebel Bard
Cleric - Fzoul Chembryl, Cadderly Bonaduce
Druid - Jaheira, Pikel Bouldershoulder, Robyn Moonsinger
Fighter - Bruenor Battlehammer, Artemis Entreri
Monk - Danica Maupoissant, Grandmaster Kane
Paladin - Gareth Dragonsbane, Piergeiron Paladinson, Keldorn Firecam
Ranger - Drizzt Do'Urden, Dove Falconhand
Rogue - Mirt the Moneylender, Regis Rumblebelly
Sorcerer - The Simbul, Emrikol the Chaotic, Delina
Warlock - Ammon Jerro, Farideh
Wizard - Elminster Aumar, Khelben Arunsun, Laeral Silverhand, Gromph Baenre

Unoriginal
2022-04-25, 08:45 AM
-Same for Mordenkainen
-Same for Tasha

Mordenkainen and Tasha are from Oerth, though. They are known in FR, but far less than the local Super Friends.

Pretty much anyone who has spells with their name on them would be famous. Any of the Blackstaffs from Waterdeep would be as well.

True. Also noteworthy are Halaster Blackcloak, master of Undermountain, Laeral Silverhand and the other six members of the Seven Daughters of Mystra (Laeral Silverhand being more famous than the others due to being Open Lord of Waterdeep), Manshoon, founder of the Zentharim and doofus who waged a whole war against himself due to a massive Clone spell problem, and Szass Tam, leader of the magocracy of Thay.

RogueJK
2022-04-25, 08:49 AM
Artificer: None to my knowledge, since there are so very few in FR
Bard: Finder Wyvernspur
Barbarian: Wulfgar or Obould Many-Arrows
Cleric: Cadderly Bonaduce or Fzoul Chembryl
Druid: Robyn Moonsinger or Christine Dragonsbane
Fighter: Bruenor Battlehammer or Artemis Enteri (Fighter/Rogue)
Monk: Danica Bonaduce (not many famous monks in FR)
Paladin: Gareth Dragonsbane or Piergeiron Paladinson
Rogue: Jarlaxle Baenre (although while he's a Rogue in 5E, he was a Fighter in previous editions...)
Ranger: Drizzt, duh
Sorcerer: The Simbul
Warlock: Farideh? (not many famous Warlocks in FR, since it's a relatively new class)
Wizard: Elminster, clearly (Lots of contenders for "2nd Most Famous", though.)

Millstone85
2022-04-25, 09:35 AM
In FR, such fame does not belong to mortals.

Artificer: Gond
Barbarian: Malar
Bard: Milil
Cleric: Kelemvor
Druid: Silvanus
Fighter: Tempus
Monk: Ilmater
Paladin: Torm
Ranger: Mielikki
Rogue: Mask
Sorcerer: Mystra
Warlock: Asmodeus
Wizard: Azuth

Forechosen
2022-04-25, 09:41 AM
Oh wow, these are exactly the sort of answers I was looking for - exactly! I have a lot of names to look up now 😃

nickl_2000
2022-04-25, 09:42 AM
Mordenkainen and Tasha are from Oerth, though. They are known in FR, but far less than the local Super Friends.

True. Also noteworthy are Halaster Blackcloak, master of Undermountain, Laeral Silverhand and the other six members of the Seven Daughters of Mystra (Laeral Silverhand being more famous than the others due to being Open Lord of Waterdeep), Manshoon, founder of the Zentharim and doofus who waged a whole war against himself due to a massive Clone spell problem, and Szass Tam, leader of the magocracy of Thay.

Halaster would definitely be famous, although infamous may be more accurate for him :smallbiggrin:

ProsecutorGodot
2022-04-25, 09:43 AM
My knowledge of the deep lore is a bit lacking, but I'm pretty up to date on what the 5e adventure modules give you at least and that leads me to look up past information on characters that show up in them.

Hlam could work for Monk, he's been alive for at least 120 years and spent time in both Neverwinter and Waterdeep being friendly with high up and important people.

Compared to Danica though he doesn't really have "deeds" to his name, his only advantage is that we know he's still around while I can't find any mention of Danica past 2009 in a Drizzt book taking place 107 years before 5E's timeline.

Psyren
2022-04-25, 10:21 AM
I think the FR video games count as well, characters from them are possibly even more well-known that some of the novels. The video games also feature cameos by some of the major players like Drizz't and Elminster.

So for Paladin I would add Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande (Devotion then Oathbreaker?), for Monk I would add Grimgnaw (Dwarf Long Death Monk), for Bard I'd add Deekin, and for Rogue Imoen was already mentioned and I'd add Neeshka etc. There are also some gnomish artificers mentioned in NWN2 DLC by their inventions - Baldric and Gurn.

If Baldur's Gate 3 takes off and introduces a bunch more people to the realms, you'll likely get some more there.

paladinn
2022-04-25, 10:28 AM

Umm.. forgive my ignorance, but I didn't realize Elminster was a cleric. Chosen Of Mystra yes.. but a cleric?? And the most famous cleric in the FR??

Warder
2022-04-25, 10:31 AM
Umm.. forgive my ignorance, but I didn't realize Elminster was a cleric. Chosen Of Mystra yes.. but a cleric?? And the most famous cleric in the FR??

Elminster has rogue and fighter levels too, he's unburdened by such things as level limits. And Drizzt is a ranger/fighter/monk.

Psyren
2022-04-25, 10:36 AM
Elminster is an artifact from a time in the game's history when the only mechanical way to represent a character with a very diverse/eclectic upbringing was to just pile more levels in there. This is not to say his build is wrong, merely messy and inelegant, and you could accomplish something similar with him in 3.5 using retraining rules and custom PrCs and the like.

RogueJK
2022-04-25, 10:48 AM
And Drizzt is a ranger/fighter/monk.

Monk?

According to his "official" stats, he used to be a Ranger 10-16 (1E and 2E), and then Fighter 10/Ranger 5/Barbarian 1 (3E), and is currently a Fighter 11/Ranger 8 (5E).

Dr.Samurai
2022-04-25, 10:55 AM
Hey let's not forget Thibbledorf Pwent for a famous barbarian!

Warder
2022-04-25, 10:56 AM
Monk?

According to his "official" stats, he used to be a Ranger 10-16 (1E and 2E), and then Fighter 10/Ranger 5/Barbarian 1 (3E), and then a Skirmisher 21 (4E), and is currently a Fighter 11/Ranger 8 (5E).

Yeah, he received his monk levels during 5e. He went through some stuff and needed to train with the monks of the Yellow Rose in Damara to regain his balance. Of course he was super awesome at it and got personal training from Grandmaster Kane, so he was fasttracked through monk college.

Unoriginal
2022-04-25, 11:03 AM
Warlock: Asmodeus

I don't think Asmodeus would be known as a Warlock.

Hlam could work for Monk, he's been alive for at least 120 years and spent time in both Neverwinter and Waterdeep being friendly with high up and important people.

Compared to Danica though he doesn't really have "deeds" to his name, his only advantage is that we know he's still around while I can't find any mention of Danica past 2009 in a Drizzt book taking place 107 years before 5E's timeline.

Well Hlam is known for having an unique fighting style that he refused to teach to the many, many hopeful who asked him, so that's still a deed.

Another contender for the title of most famous Monk in the Forgotten Realms would be Bak Mei, from Candlekeep Mysteries, who is both directly noted as having once been "famous for upholding justice and helping the needy in his distant homeland to the east of Faerûn", and also as being "notorious among the monks of Faerûn". But it's a complicated case because:

a) while he has fame (and infamy, nowadays) in-universe, he appeared in one adventure in an anthology module and not many people in real life would know him as a D&D NPC.

b) Bak Mei is a real-life historical/legendary figure who has been fictionalized time and time again, so people in-real life may know of him but not as a D&D NPC (as wikipedia notes, in the West he is mostly know for his role in the Kill Bill movies under the name of Pai Mei).

Millstone85
2022-04-25, 11:22 AM
I don't think Asmodeus would be known as a Warlock.Of the power-stealing kind, his victim being Azuth.

Unoriginal
2022-04-25, 11:35 AM
Semi-unrelated to the thread, but now I definitively want to DM a fight between Hlam and Bak Mei.

Christew
2022-04-25, 01:41 PM

Elminster has rogue and fighter levels too, he's unburdened by such things as level limits.
This. In Elminster: The Making of a Mage, Ed Greenwood walks him through all the major classes. He begins as a rogue on the streets, spends time as a resistance fighter, and becomes a cleric of Mystra (resolving his anti-magic biases) before becoming the #1 wizard. There's some lost crown stuff and even some time spent as a woman, IIRC. Really a kitchen sink approach to character background.

Naanomi
2022-04-25, 02:32 PM
The Harples would probably be wild-magic sorcerers in this edition

JackPhoenix
2022-04-25, 04:02 PM
The most famous warlock would be Larloch. A wizard, you say? Why would a wizard unlive in Warlock's crypt?

LibraryOgre
2022-04-26, 12:17 PM
Probably Cadderly Bonaduce from the Cleric Quintet. :smallwink: (I certainly enjoyed them as they came out in paperback).

I think Fzoul Chembryl might be more well-known than Cadderly.

tomjon
2022-04-28, 04:10 PM
Shandril spellfire wielder

Schwann145
2022-04-29, 03:35 AM
The most famous warlock would be Larloch. A wizard, you say? Why would a wizard unlive in Warlock's crypt?
Larloch would be very vexed to hear you call it that, however. ;)

Anyway...

Top of my head, the most famous, IMO, of each "class" in the Realms, with a shoutout for a secondary option, would be:

•Artificer: N/A (they exist, in small numbers, with no one of any particular notoriety standing out)

•Barbarian: Wulfgar (member of The Companions of the Hall; friend to Drizzt Do'Urden; adopted son of Bruenor Battlehammer)
~Obould Many-Arrows (founder of the Many-Arrows orc kingdom; Exarch of Gruumsh)

•Bard: Storm Silverhand (Seven Sister; child and Chosen of Mystra; Harper)
~Danilo Thann (apprentice to Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun; companion of Arilyn Moonblade; ex-Harper; one-time Masked Lord of Waterdeep)

•Cleric: Fzoul Chembryl (Chosen [and later Exarch] of Bane; second in command of the Black Network, the Zhentarim, under Manshoon)
~Erevis Cale (trained thief and assassin of the Night Masks of Westgate; head butler of the Uskevren family of Sembia; First among the Chosen of Mask)

•Druid: Pikel Bouldershoulder (brother of Ivan Bouldershoulder; sometimes ally of the Companions of the Hall)
~Robyn Kendrick (Queen of the Moonshae Isles)

•Fighter: Bruenor Battlehammer (King of Mithral Hall; adoptive father of Wulfgar and Cattie-brie; friend of Drizzt Do'Urden and Regis; member of The Companions of the Hall)
~Artemis Entreri (assassin of Calimport; rival of Drizzt Do'Urden)

•Monk: Grandmaster Kane (Grandmaster of Flowers of the Order of the Yellow Rose [monks of Illmater]; hero of Damara; companion to King Gareth Dragonsbane)
~Danica Maupoissant (companion, and eventually wife, of Cadderly Bonaduce [cleric and Chosen of Oghma])

•Paladin: Piergeiron Paladinson (formerly the Open Lord of Waterdeep and leader of the Lord's Alliance)
~Dragonbait (Saurial paladin and companion and soul-brother of the adventurer Alias)

•Ranger: Drizzt Do'Urden (drow renegade of Menzoberranzan; member of The Companions of the Hall; legendary hero of the North)
~Dove Falconhand (Seven Sister; child and Chosen of Mystra; Harper; member of the Knights of Myth Drannor adventuring group)

•Rogue: Mirt "the Moneylender" (very wealthy and successful adventurer of Undermountain; one-time Masked Lord of Waterdeep)
~Regis (Halfling thief and member of the Companions of the Hall; friend to Drizzt Do'Urden)

•Sorcerer: Alassra "The Simbul" Silverhand (Seven Sister; child and Chosen of Mystra; Witch-Queen of Aglarond; lover of Elminster; serious contender for unofficial title of "most powerful spellcaster of the Realms")
~Galaeron Nihmedu (moon elf Tomb Guard of Evereska; Shadow Adept [caster of the Shadow Weave]; central figure in the Return of the Archwizards, the return of the phaerimm, and the return of the floating Netherese enclave of Thultanthar from the Plane of Shadow)

•Warlock: Farideh (tiefling and descendant of Bryseis Kakistos [leader of the "Toril Thirteen," a group of warlocks famous for originally making pacts with Asmodeus, said to be partially responsible for Asmodeus' ascension to godhood])
~Japheth Donard (one-time acolyte and librarian at Candlekeep; companion of Raidon Kane)

•Wizard: (Frankly, too many to list!)
•Elminster Aumar (Sage of Shadowdale; Chosen of Mystra; decent contender for unofficial title of "most powerful spellcaster of the Realms")
~Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsen (Chosen of Mystra; husband to Laeral Silverhand; Mage Lord of Waterdeep; Masked Lord of Waterdeep; ex-Harper; founder of the Moonstars)
~Alustriel Silverhand (Seven Sister; child and Chosen of Mystra; former ruler of Silverymoon)
~Laeral Silverhand (Seven Sister; child and Chosen of Mystra; Witch-Queen of the North; Lady Mage of Waterdeep; wife of Khelben Arunsen)
~Manshoon (archmage and leader of the Zhentarim; unworthy rival of Elminster)
~Halaster Blackcloak (The Mad Mage of Undermountain; insanely powerful and ancient archmage of Imaskar; serious contender for unofficial title of "most powerful spellcaster of the Realms")
~Larloch the Shadow King (ancient lich Netherese Arcanist; Sorcerer-King of the enclave of Jiksidur; ruler of Warlock's Crypt; master of countless spell-slaved undead, many of which are also Netherese Arcanists of incredible power; serious contender for unofficial title of "most powerful spellcaster of the Realms")
~Szass Tam (one-time Zulkir of Necromancy in Thay; now absolute ruler of Thay)
~Sammaster (one-time Chosen of Mystra; leader of the Cult of the Dragon)
~Vangerdahast (Royal Magician of Corymr; friend and ally of Elminster)
~Karsus (legendary Netherese Arcanist who is famed as the most powerful mage of all time; stole the divinity of Mystryl, goddess of magic, to save Netheril but ended up being it's downfall)
~Telamont Tanthul (powerful Netherese Arcanist; founder and leader of the floating enclave Thultanthul, known more commonly as Shade)
~Ioulaum (ancient Netherese Arcanist and rival of Karsus; currently exists as an Elder Brain (illithid) Lich; serious contender for unofficial title of "most powerful spellcaster of the Realms")
~Oluevaera "Srinshee" Estelda (ancient elven Balenorn and council to three Cormanthyran Coronals; helped raise the mythal at the creation of Myth Drannor; taught magic to Elminster; is probably the actual most powerful spellcaster of the Realms)
And just so many more...

Enjoy!

Kane0
2022-04-29, 04:23 AM
I think the FR video games count as well, characters from them are possibly even more well-known that some of the novels. The video games also feature cameos by some of the major players like Drizz't and Elminster.

So for Paladin I would add Lady Aribeth de Tylmarande (Devotion then Oathbreaker?), for Monk I would add Grimgnaw (Dwarf Long Death Monk), for Bard I'd add Deekin, and for Rogue Imoen was already mentioned and I'd add Neeshka etc. There are also some gnomish artificers mentioned in NWN2 DLC by their inventions - Baldric and Gurn.

My vote absolutely goes to Deekin, but I think Tomi also deserves an honorable mention.

Rukelnikov
2022-04-29, 07:11 AM
Most of the people that came to mind has already been mentioned.

Curious seeing Artemis listed as a Fighter, I always think of him more of as a Rogue. Same with Volo as a Wizard, always thought of him as being a Bard.

The somewhat notable characters I haven't seen mentioned yet are:

The Mistmaster, Cleric/Wizard (technically an Illusionist, but that's still a Wizard)

Turlang, treant Druid

Kethryllia, Elven Fighter/Mage

Christew
2022-04-29, 08:12 AM
Curious seeing Artemis listed as a Fighter, I always think of him more of as a Rogue. Same with Volo as a Wizard, always thought of him as being a Bard.
Entreri certainly has some rogue credentials and is most commonly referred to as an assassin, but his defining characteristic has always been his obsession with perfecting his martial prowess. 3E statted him as Rog4/Rgr1/Ftrl2/Asn1.

Volo is definitely very bard-presenting (and was impersonated by a bard on one occasion), especially in some appearances like BG3, but I think his lore has always been travelling scholar and minor wizard (ToA statted him as a CR 1/4 who prepares wizard spells -- though all the spells listed are also on the bard list).

Schwann145
2022-04-29, 03:15 PM
Same with Volo as a Wizard, always thought of him as being a Bard.

Volo is a Wizard in the same way that Shandril Shessair is a Thief: Technically accurate stats, but definitely not what they're known for.

Rukelnikov
2022-04-29, 03:30 PM
Entreri certainly has some rogue credentials and is most commonly referred to as an assassin, but his defining characteristic has always been his obsession with perfecting his martial prowess. 3E statted him as Rog4/Rgr1/Ftrl2/Asn1.

Yeah, Artemis is an assassin, I remembered he had lvls in both Ftr and Rog in 3e, but thought he was more heavily leaned to Rogue (I imagined like Rogue 11/Ftr 4 or something like that)

Volo is definitely very bard-presenting (and was impersonated by a bard on one occasion), especially in some appearances like BG3, but I think his lore has always been travelling scholar and minor wizard (ToA statted him as a CR 1/4 who prepares wizard spells -- though all the spells listed are also on the bard list).

Volo is a Wizard in the same way that Shandril Shessair is a Thief: Technically accurate stats, but definitely not what they're known for.

Maybe Volo was created before Bards were a thing and they just left him as a Wizard?

Schwann145
2022-04-29, 03:43 PM
If we're being totally honest, Entreri and Drizzt are both much more "Fighters" than anything else.

Drizzt being a Ranger was just a hack into old edition TWF without penalties. He's nothing like a Ranger in actual narrative.
Entreri is an assassin, but that's his job, not how he does it. He does it by being an incredibly skilled Fighter.

Chronos
2022-04-29, 03:49 PM
Minsc is a tricky case: His definitive canonical appearance is from Baldur's Gate, which gives him explicit stats, and calls him a ranger... but the only reason they called him a ranger was because the barbarian class didn't exist at the time. 3rd edition was still in development, and they probably knew more or less what they were planning for the barbarian, but ranger was the closest approximation they could do in 2e rules.

As for Jarlaxle, I wouldn't say that 5e "made him a rogue". 5e doesn't have classes for NPCs. He does have some roguish abilities like Sneak Attack and Evasion, but he also has a three-attack multiattack option. To get both that and his 7d6 Sneak Attack, he'd need at least 24 levels total. And then he also has things like legendary resistance, legendary actions, and Cha to AC, which can't be gotten from any class.

Rukelnikov
2022-04-29, 03:57 PM
Minsc is a tricky case: His definitive canonical appearance is from Baldur's Gate, which gives him explicit stats, and calls him a ranger... but the only reason they called him a ranger was because the barbarian class didn't exist at the time. 3rd edition was still in development, and they probably knew more or less what they were planning for the barbarian, but ranger was the closest approximation they could do in 2e rules.

No, actually Minsc was always a Ranger, he had the Feralan kit, which allowed him to rage, here's his actual 2e sheet:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Minsc_Character_Sheet_from_Cameron_Tofer_pen%26pap er_game.jpg

He was a Mul though, which they seemingly changed.

Unoriginal
2022-04-29, 05:13 PM
As for Jarlaxle, I wouldn't say that 5e "made him a rogue". 5e doesn't have classes for NPCs. He does have some roguish abilities like Sneak Attack and Evasion, but he also has a three-attack multiattack option. To get both that and his 7d6 Sneak Attack, he'd need at least 24 levels total. And then he also has things like legendary resistance, legendary actions, and Cha to AC, which can't be gotten from any class.

Jarlaxle can also attune to like 5 magic items. He's quite crazy.

Kane0
2022-04-29, 05:40 PM
He must be Gestalted

RogueJK
2022-04-30, 02:01 PM
Yeah, Artemis is an assassin, I remembered he had lvls in both Ftr and Rog in 3e, but thought he was more heavily leaned to Rogue (I imagined like Rogue 11/Ftr 4 or something like that)

In 3E he's about 66% Fighter as a Fighter 12/Rogue 4/Ranger 1/Assassin 1. But in 2E it was closer to 50/50 as a dual-classed Thief 11/Fighter 15.

Scots Dragon
2022-04-30, 02:42 PM

Because 'Warlock's Crypt' is a corruption of 'Larloch's Crypt' in setting.

Anyway.

Barbarian: Wulfgar
Bard: Storm Silverhand
Cleric: Fzoul Chembryl, Qilué Veladorn
Druid: Jaheira
Fighter: Bruenor Battlehammer, Arilyn Moonblade, Alias
Monk: Danica Maupoissant
Paladin: Dragonbait
Ranger: Drizzt Do'Urden, Minsc of Rashemen, Dove Falconhand, Florin Falconhand
Rogue: Artemis Entreri (assassin)
Sorcerer: The Simbul
Warlock: Farideh
Wizard: Elminster, Larloch, Khelben, Alustriel

LibraryOgre
2022-05-01, 10:38 AM
•Druid: Pikel Bouldershoulder (brother of Ivan Bouldershoulder; sometimes ally of the Companions of the Hall)
~Robyn Kendrick (Queen of the Moonshae Isles)

Since we're talking in the Realms (as opposed to among real-world people familiar with the Realms), I'd switch this.

Schwann145
2022-05-01, 01:25 PM
Since we're talking in the Realms (as opposed to among real-world people familiar with the Realms), I'd switch this.

OP first said they were interested in who was famous among us, IRL.
If the interest was in who was the most in-Realms famous, then absolutely switch those! And probably several others as well. :smallwink:

Edit: Oh, I think you mean if they're well known in the Realms, or just well known to us. I definitely mean famous to 'us'. I imagine the 'most famous' rogue might be completely unknown to most people in the Forgotten Realms.

Edit 2: Having said that, I also imagine the most famous characters to us might just be a list of the NPCs from the most successful computer games. Which isn't what I'm looking for. So I suppose after all I *do* mean in universe. I think. Gosh this is more to think about than I imagined.