PDA

View Full Version : TOY racial abilities?

Rebecca-47
2022-04-25, 04:17 PM
Alright, somewhat misleading title, but bear with me. For a Christmas related one-shot, I want to turn my (6th-7th level) players into toys and shove them into a Toybox dungeon. Their character sheets are probably going to remain intact, but in addition, I want to grant them each an extra feature or two related to the type of toy that they've become. Ideally, I'd let them choose what form they'd take, but I want to have some solid examples prepared for them to get the ideas flowing.

I only have a few so far, but I'm just so excited to brainstorm this with somebody about it, that here I am. :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, if it interests you, help me fill out my list! Let me know if you have any ideas for types of toys, the features they might get, and if you're so inclined, game balance stuff.
And of course, if this turns out well, feel free to steal it all. I absolutely love whacky one-shots, and Holiday themed ones are especially fun.

Here's what I have so far for potential toy types and the features they may have. I realize these aren't all created equal, but at the moment I'm just having fun spitballing.

Toy Features:

Lego Modular: You are proficient with any melee or ranged weapon that can fit in your hand.
Plush: Stitch: Add an extra d6 to any healing done to yourself. In addition, you can use regular healing spells to reattach limbs and cure other nonmagical ailments that would normally require a restoration spell.
Battery-operated: Overload: You have a pool of D6s equal to your proficiency bonus which you can use to add lightning damage to the damage roll of any attack you make. In addition, as an action you can expend a Hit Die to do an HD+CON MOD amount of lightning damage to a foe within 10ft of you, no save or attack roll required.
Wind-up: On your turn, you can take one additional action. You must wait 10 minutes before using this feature again.
Stretchy or springy: For ten minutes, your melee range/threatened space increases by 5 feet. You must finish a short rest before using this again.
Magnetic/suction cups: You gain the spider climb feature and cannot be knocked prone.
Hovering, fluttering, or flying: Once per short rest you can use an action to give yourself a flying speed of 30 ft for 10 minutes. Once the 10 minutes are up, you float harmlessly down to the ground.
Spring/wind up: As a bonus action you can Disengage by jumping out of harm's way. You can land a distance up to half your movement away, or a quarter of your movement up. (eg, if your speed is 40 you can land 20 feet away, or on a platform up to 10 feet up. Up to you and your DM if you'd rather do more math.)
Transformers Transforming: As a bonus action you change your shape, donning a set of heretofore hidden wheels. Your movement speed doubles, but you must succeed a STR, DEX, or CON check of 12 each turn you use this extra movement to avoid spinning out and falling prone.
Rhinestones: You gain a +1 to your Spell Attack Mod and Spell Save DC.

Other potential Toy types:

Paper, with the ability to slide under doors and into tiny spaces
Digital/Virtual, which might blink or teleport around
Jumbo toys, which go up one size category and get a bigger threatened space and a STR/CON boost, but their speed is reduced.

Other ideas:

Wooden toys are resistant to slashing and piercing damage
Plastic toys are resistant to necrotic (and poison?) damage
Metal toys are resistant to poison and slashing damage
Plush toys cannot be frightened of take levels of exhaustion, OR they get +1 to their Charisma.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Shy_Guy%27s_Toy_Box#/media/File:Pm_chap4_shyguytheft2.png

brian 333
2022-04-25, 10:05 PM
Vulnerabilities:

Plastic toys take extra fire/heat damage.

Metal toys subject to rust/acid damage.

Electric toys subject to short circuits/electrical attacks.

Wooden toys cannot sink in water, and take mobility damage from water. Wooden toys take additional fire damage unless already saturated.

Plastic Army Men:
A character turns into a 30 man platoon of plastic army men, but must select the men before play begins.

A leader is required. Bonus applies to unit.
Binoculars Guy = +1 to hit at range.
Pistol Guy = +1 to hit melee

Soldiers do damage. Damage stacks by numbers.

Standing Rifleman = longer range
Kneeling Rifleman = faster firing
Prone Rifleman = reduced movement, increased AC
Every three riflemen gain a D3 for damage. They use the leader's to-hit roll.
Paratroopers use standing rifleman attacks, but gain flanking bonus after paradrop.
Bayonet Guys = d3 melee damage per 3 bayonet guys

Grenade Guy = short range, blast damage, horrible AC.
Bazooka Guy = long range, blast damage, low mobility. Ignores metal armor.
Blast affects up to four squares or three hexes which share a common corner.
Each Grenade Guy or Bazooka Guy gains a D4 damage but uses the leader's attack roll to calculate hits.

Mortar Dude = slow movement, very long range, inaccurate blast damage. Mortar Dude designates target space to DM, round lands in the initiative round of the next turn for D6 damage to all adjacent spaces. Like grenades and bazookas, the blast is centered on a corner, but which corner of the space is determined by a random d4 (square) or d6 (hexagon). The adjacent spaces also suffer damage.

Medic allows one wounded soldier to be revived in battle each turn per medic. Alternately, potions and spells affect the unit rather than individual soldiers.

Courrier allows communication with allies that cannot be seen.
Radioman allows communication with anyone on the battlefield.

Hit points = the character's hp divided by the soldiers. 1 point for each leader, courrier, radioman, medic and mortar dude. 2 points for each rifleman or bazooka guy. 3 points for each paratrooper, Bayonett guy, or grenade guy, add the total points and divide hp by the total. Each figure gets this share of the character's hp. A character must have enough HP to give at least 1 hp per point. If the character has fewer points he must reduce the number of soldiers or choose another toy.

Each soldier has the character's AC, movement, and saves, unless otherwise noted. A unit that fires fast gets a second attack at the end of the round at -5 to hit. Otherwise, a character with multiple attacks/round may have each soldier make multiple attacks in a round based on the single die roll made by the leader for each potential attack.

Example, twelve riflemen, nine bayonette guys, and six grenadiers are in a unit. The leader is entitled to three attack rolls per round. The riflemen and grenade guys make 3 ranged attacks, all at the same Target, but there is no melee target available. In the next round, there is a melee target, so the riflemen and Bayonette guys all attack that target, but the grenade guys don't attack to avoid blast damage to friendlies. The unit can only attack the target designated by the leader. Mortar dude is an exception to this rule, but he never attacks a person, he attacks a space on the map, and in the next turn his round falls in the leader's inniative order. Mortar dude never gets more than 1 attack per round.

Paratroop may drop in at any time and in any space on the map, but once in may not be removed for a second drop. A leader may designate fewer than the total available paratroopers in a drop. Example, if nine are available, the leader may designate five to arrive in one drop and reserve four for a later drop, or three in the first, three in the second, and three in a third drop.

Wow, that's a mini game. I started out saying, "Keep it simple," and look what happened!

You get the idea, though. Perhaps it would be easier with Napoleonic era army men or even tin soldiers.

Rebecca-47
2022-04-26, 09:21 AM
Wow, that's a mini game. I started out saying, "Keep it simple," and look what happened!

You get the idea, though. Perhaps it would be easier with Napoleonic era army men or even tin soldiers.

Wow! Yeah, this is certainly a lot more extra math/bookkeeping than I'd like to press onto my players, but I like your enthusiasm lol
I hadn't considered toy soldiers, but its a good idea-- especially for a swarm monster that might appear in the toybox. I'll definitely steal bits and pieces of this, so thanks!