PDA

View Full Version : TWF Gnome Barbarian

CTurbo
2022-04-26, 12:22 AM
Like most of us here, I'm always thinking about my next character, and this time, I've been thinking about a gnome Barbarian that uses two handaxes. I like the idea of a tiny warrior zipping around the battlefield slashing enemies legs up haha

1. I can start with good stats. I could even use the pre-racial stats from my current character which are 18, 16, 15, 13, 12, 6 and I could take -2 from the 18 and add it to the 6 if I want.
2. I want this character to be "fast" so Mobile is almost necessary and possibly even Squat Nimbleness too if I can fit it in. I may even consider Totem Barb Elk at level 3.
3. Despite being a Gnome, I still want Str focused. Stats are good enough to make this a non issue.
4. I definitely want some Barbarian, but I wonder if this wouldn't be better off taking only 1-3 levels of Barb and then continuing as a Battlemaster Fighter. There are some fun maneuvers what would fit this concept. Sweeping Attack, Trip Attack, Disarming Attack, Brace, and Riposte. I'm also considering the Barb/Monk route. Monk gives me the speed I want, and it won't break anything to let me TWF as a Monk.
5. Do I need the TWF Fighting Style? I do kinda want it. It's only +5 dpr though.
6. Another potential multiclass option would be 3 levels of Hunter Ranger for Horde Breaker. Horde Breaker fits the concept and gives the extra attack.
7. If I go mostly Barb, which subclass best fits?
8. I prefer unarmored defense, but it's not a deal breaker to wear breastplate or something. Half-plate or Plate doesn't fit the concept.
9. I prefer Gnome, but would consider a different small race except Halfling because I'm played a Halfling Barb before. I figured Gnomes were the smallest race.

Bosh
2022-04-26, 01:09 AM
For a barbarian gnomes aren't bad since they help with a barbarian's biggest weaknesses (magic). Having GWM taken off the table hurts since it's such a good fit for a barbarian, however TWF isn't bad for a barbarian since you get rage damage to each attack so getting more attacks is nice.

One good subclass is Ancestral Guardian since you can even reflavor it as you annoying enemies so much that they get pissed and have to attack you.

Sherlockpwns
2022-04-26, 01:35 AM
I’m no longer sure at all if gnomes are the smallest race, but harengons are more… fast with movement abilities.

I’d actually consider monk as the preferred “twf” model here. One of the more fun and likely insane things to do would be picking up a way to cast jump or have jump cast on you. Combined with step of the wind and you can bonus action leap 30x your proficiency bonus… if I did my math right. No opportunity attacks either. That’s 90ft at level 5 and topping out at 180ft at max level. This costs the jump spell and a ki; with jump alone at 15x and KI alone at 10x. That’s a fun way to get around problems!

That said you could splash 6 levels of barbarian first. Obviously not min/maxed but who cares. I’d say guardians or totems are your best bet. Even if you use your current plan guardian plus high speed means you can give someone disadvantage and half damage and be so far away from them they have no way of even targeting you. Totems of course gives you either the 15ft speed or full resistances, can’t go wrong with that.

Basically with mobility at 4 you are base moving 50ft. So you can slap someone next to you and just move away. By level 8 (Barb 6 / monk 2) you are now moving 60 and can bonus action rabbit kick someone in the face for good measure.

If I were aiming for the jumping harengon I’d probably not take barbarian so you can leap around more, but since you want a Barb, we will leave that build for another day.

I think the last thing to consider is the ultimate debuff power of artificer (armorer) as the splash. Combine that with elk totem and dual wielder feat instead of mobility. Add in boots of the winding path to start. Next ASI grab mobility and change boots to something else.

This lets you play the ultimate game of tag for disadvantage, coming online fully at level 8 as well (Barb 5, art 3). This has a few interesting angles, continuing with the harengon thing. First; it gets jump! Sadly only 15x prof bonus. Could be good for pre combat or RP (jumping a cliff etc). Mostly though the point is to move 55ft and hit up to 3 targets, giving disadvantage to all. If you know you are going into combat you can even long strider for an hour to 65ft.

That all said I keep coming back to the idea of a tiny rabbit person with two axes running up to someone, cuts their Achilles, leaving them wounded and prone and hamstrung, and keeps going ending out of their reach laughing maniacally.

I’ve never even considered a harengon until just now.

da newt
2022-04-26, 07:20 AM
You could play a gnome dhampir if it suits you - 35 base speed, small, and scamper across the ceiling ... but you do give up the magic resistance.

MC BM is nice for maneuvers and extra ASI. I like Barb-Rogue MC for SA w/ reckless (change to throwing knives) and CA can be so handy (although you will have plenty of BA options).

An ancestral guardian who throws axes/knives and sticks to the ceiling could be a very handy party member.

If I was playing a pissed off gnome I wouldn't aim for the legs but for where the legs join the torso ... speed bag the bad guys.

KorvinStarmast
2022-04-26, 07:27 AM
... speed bag the bad guys.
Amusing visual, but called shots in 5e aren't a thing.

solidork
2022-04-26, 08:08 AM
When our Abjuration Wizard got petrified, he played a temporary character that combined Barbarian, Hunter Ranger and Rogue with TWF and he did deal a lot of damage for his level. I want to say it was like 5 Ranger, 2 Rogue and 2 Barbarian? He had extra attack, cunning action and reckless attack.

Boverk
2022-04-26, 08:43 AM
Fairy Barbarian...We all know this is Tinkerbell's class

Also, if you're ok with a different fighter, 3 levels of Rune Knight makes for some hilarious large tiny person moments...if you're a fairy, you can even be huge once a day

Psyren
2022-04-26, 09:14 AM
Amusing visual, but called shots in 5e aren't a thing.

Not explicitly, but you can improvise any action or contest your DM is willing to let you get away with (PHB 193/195). That can (and imo should) include called/cheap shots and dirty fighting for scrappy characters.

da newt
2022-04-26, 09:32 AM
"Amusing visual, but called shots in 5e aren't a thing." - concur 100% but I'll flavor/fluff my attacks however I choose in order to amuse myself (with absolutely zero mechanical consequence). :smallbiggrin:

RogueJK
2022-04-26, 10:45 AM
I’d actually consider monk as the preferred “twf” model here.

Agreed. Something like this:
Forest or Deep Gnome Monk/Barbarian
STR 16+2
DEX 15+1
CON 18
INT 12 or 6
WIS 13
CHA 6 or 12
Taking Mobile at first ASI, Squat Nimbleness (+1 STR) at next ASI, then +1 STR/WIS at next ASI, and +2 CON at next ASI.

Start with Barbarian 1, then Monk 2, then take Barbarian to 6. From Monk 2/Barbarian 6, determine whether you want more Barbarian levels or more Monk levels. I'd probably do Barbarian 6/Monk X.

Fight with a Battleaxe (using Monk's Dedicated Weapon ability) in two hands for 1d10+STR+Rage for 2x attacks, followed by a headbutt/kick BA Martial Arts "offhand attack" for 1d4+STR+Rage. Or Flurry for 1 Ki for 2x headbutt/kick BA attacks. Or, at times when you're unarmed (like at a dinner party or if thrown in jail), you're still combat effective with multiple raging unarmed strikes and Unarmored Defense.

Your speed will be 35 after hitting Monk 2, then 45 after taking Mobile, then 55 after hitting Barbarian 5, then 60 after taking Squat Nimbleness. Plus you can Step of the Wind BA Dash for 1 Ki, for up to 180' movement in one turn (Move+Action Dash+BA Step of the Wind).

For Barbarian Subclass, Ancestral Guardian is an excellent choice to combine with your really high speed and free Disengage from Mobile, to act as a kiting Tank. But if you want to focus specifically on maximizing your speed, then Elk Totem Barbarian gets you up to a 75' movement speed while Raging.

If going additional Monk levels past 2, Kensai is the obvious thematic choice for a weapon-wielding Monk, but Long Death is also an decent choice here, and a Drunken Master Barbarian could be really fun. Plus your speed continues to increase by a further 5' every 4 Monk levels.

A Soulknife Rogue/Barbarian is also a good option for efficient TWF, and Rogue/Barbarian is a great combo anyway. Like this:
Forest or Deep Gnome Rogue/Barbarian
STR 16+2
DEX 15+1
CON 18
INT 12 or 6
WIS 13
CHA 6 or 12
Taking Mobile at first ASI, Squat Nimbleness (+1 STR) at next ASI, then +1 STR/WIS at next ASI, and +2 CON at next ASI.

Start Rogue 1/Barbarian 1 by Level 2 (in whichever order you prefer), then Soulknife Rogue to 3 or 4, then Barbarian to 6. Decide from there if you want more Rogue or more Barbarian levels. I'd likely go Barbarian 6/Rogue X.

Psychic Blades allows you to TWF with full offhand bonuses without taking a Fighting Style, so you'd have have 1x-2x Attacks for 1d6+STR+Rage and then a BA Offhand Attack for 1d6+STR+Rage, as well as additional d6s of Sneak Attack damage on one of your attacks. Plus you can do fun stuff like Advantage+Expertise on Athletics to Prone an enemy to generate Advantage for additional Sneak Attacks, plus then Grapple them to hold them Prone for subsequent turns. And like the Monk/Barbarian combo, you can wander in someplace totally unarmed/unarmored, and still wreck stuff with your Psychic Blades and Unarmored Defense.

Ancestral Guardians Barbarian is still a great subclass option here, for hit-and-run kiting/tanking as well as thrown Psychic Blade debuffing at 60' range.

CTurbo
2022-04-27, 01:29 AM
I've been thinking about this. I already have a Gnome Monk character concept on the shelf so I think I'll save that for another day.

Right now I'm debating between starting and going Barb 1, 2, 3, 5, or 6, and then jumping ship to Fighter for Battlemaster. For Barb I'd probably either go Totem or Zealot. Ancestral G sounds good, but I don't like Spirit Shield for this concept. I know if I go Barb 5, and then Fighter 5 would be a dead level, but the bonus ASI at Fighter 6 kinda makes up for it. I may just start with 1 level of Barb for unarmed defense and a couple of rages a day, but I do like Danger Sense and Reckless Attack. I don't want to prolong my second attack too much.

Slasher would be a great feat for this. Combined with Squat Nimbleness that gives me +2 Str too. Mobile is a must. Fell Handed could be flavorful if I do end up going Barb 2. A 4th feat would be forever away though.

Schwann145
2022-04-27, 02:44 AM
Most Barbarians, without GWM and/or a Fighting Style, are staggeringly bad if you're not prepared for it. They are so hard-coded to be "big strength, use heavy weapon" that, with the exception of very specific subclasses (namely Ancestral Guardian and Beast), that not following the programing means you should *really* want something specific from the class or you're probably better off just not taking it.

The idea/flavor/etc of a TWF Barbarian is so good and so on-point, and such a disappointment to actually try and play once pen has hit paper. :(

CTurbo
2022-04-27, 01:11 PM
Most Barbarians, without GWM and/or a Fighting Style, are staggeringly bad if you're not prepared for it. They are so hard-coded to be "big strength, use heavy weapon" that, with the exception of very specific subclasses (namely Ancestral Guardian and Beast), that not following the programing means you should *really* want something specific from the class or you're probably better off just not taking it.

The idea/flavor/etc of a TWF Barbarian is so good and so on-point, and such a disappointment to actually try and play once pen has hit paper. :(

I don't need to play the most optimized character. I think a TWF Barb would be "good enough". I'm curious why you think it would be so bad? I know I won't be able to use the off hand attack the same round I rage, but after that, assuming 20 Str and the TWF style, which are easily attainable, I'd be dealing 1d6+7 x3 damage each round at level 5 or 6 which isn't terrible all while having the Barb's usual toughness and Monk-like mobility. I've twice played unarmed Barbs that started off dealing 1+Str+rage damage each turn until grabbing Tavern Brawler. This would out damage both of those builds while also having a semi-reliable 30-60ft ranged attack if needed.

So yeah this isn't going to be the king of DPR but I'm ok with that.

Nefariis
2022-04-27, 07:44 PM
I don't need to play the most optimized character. I think a TWF Barb would be "good enough". I'm curious why you think it would be so bad? I know I won't be able to use the off hand attack the same round I rage, but after that, assuming 20 Str and the TWF style, which are easily attainable, I'd be dealing 1d6+7 x3 damage each round at level 5 or 6 which isn't terrible all while having the Barb's usual toughness and Monk-like mobility. I've twice played unarmed Barbs that started off dealing 1+Str+rage damage each turn until grabbing Tavern Brawler. This would out damage both of those builds while also having a semi-reliable 30-60ft ranged attack if needed.

So yeah this isn't going to be the king of DPR but I'm ok with that.

I can say why I think it's lacking - "1d6+7 x3 damage each round at level 5 or 6" is good for T1, but when you hit level 11-12, you will still only be doing ~1d6+9ish x3 which is fairly lackluster. In addition to that, if you are still not concerned with DPR - moving 9,000 ft on a turn is only useful if you are doing something useful with that movement. I would think Battlemaster would be more useful as you could trip three different opponents on three different attacks, run back to safety, and let the rest of your party go to town - I think Elk Barb/BM would give you more options than just speed and it would give you more attacks/feats/dice if you decided to go 11 fighter.

However, I like Elk Barbarian/Swashbuckling Rogue (with or without mobile feat) as it still give you tons of movement (cunning action dash), give you the same three attacks that you have above, but also you would get SA damage and a free way to process it (swashbuckler) - and obviously sneak attack damage does scale with level - and as a bonus, the rogue kit is great both in and out of combat (expertise/reliable talent) which you can run around people AND be great at everything.

**Edit - I forgot to mention the awesome synergy of Reckless attack, sneak attack, and mobile/swashbuckler.... instant advantage on all three attacks, then you can just straight up leave.

CTurbo
2022-04-28, 01:03 AM
I can say why I think it's lacking - "1d6+7 x3 damage each round at level 5 or 6" is good for T1, but when you hit level 11-12, you will still only be doing ~1d6+9ish x3 which is fairly lackluster. In addition to that, if you are still not concerned with DPR - moving 9,000 ft on a turn is only useful if you are doing something useful with that movement. I would think Battlemaster would be more useful as you could trip three different opponents on three different attacks, run back to safety, and let the rest of your party go to town - I think Elk Barb/BM would give you more options than just speed and it would give you more attacks/feats/dice if you decided to go 11 fighter.

However, I like Elk Barbarian/Swashbuckling Rogue (with or without mobile feat) as it still give you tons of movement (cunning action dash), give you the same three attacks that you have above, but also you would get SA damage and a free way to process it (swashbuckler) - and obviously sneak attack damage does scale with level - and as a bonus, the rogue kit is great both in and out of combat (expertise/reliable talent) which you can run around people AND be great at everything.

**Edit - I forgot to mention the awesome synergy of Reckless attack, sneak attack, and mobile/swashbuckler.... instant advantage on all three attacks, then you can just straight up leave.

I agree that TWF in general is lackluster by tier 3. Like most campaigns, we'll probably never get there. If we do, I'll likely have a 3 main attack(see below)
I agree that Battlemaster would be best for what I want. The more I think about it, the more likely I'll only take a couple Barb levels and then go Fighter from there.
I agree that Barb+Rogue has some great synergy. I'm questioning whether or not it fits this concept though. Cunning Action conflicts with the TWF which I'm completely sold on. Sneak Attack doesn't play nice with handaxes anyway.

I have considered swapping handaxes for scimitars. They deal the same type of damage and are both d6s. Scimitars lose the thrown property, but allow me to dump Str and concentrate on the superior Dex stat. I could still start Barb 1 for a really high unarmored defense. Slasher and Squat Nimbleness both work with Dex so no biggie there. I do lose a bit of DPR by going Dex though. Rage bonus damage is not a lot, but does add up when considering the off hand attack.

I'm fine not being the top DPR character in the group as long as I'm not WAY behind the curve. Battlemaster adds a bit of extra DPR and can be disruptive enough for enemies to counterbalance some loss of DPR. I could drop Barb altogether and just RP an angry Fighter. I'll probably stick to taking at least some Barb.

Barbs aren't really meant to played as skirmishers and that's pretty much what this character will be. It's always better to attack 1 enemy 3 times than 3 enemies 1 time each, but that's exactly how I'll play it.

I appreciate the replies and input. You guys give me a lot to think about which is exactly why I post, but I don't want to get away from the main concept. When I close my eyes, I see a pissed off little 2-2.5ft tall Gnome whirling around the battlefield with a handaxe in each hand slicing up enemies. "Regular" handaxes would look larger than normal in little Gnome hands haha. I guess I would dump Cha. I could make him a crusty old grumpy Gnome so a low Cha would make a bit of sense.

Dinjaren
2022-04-28, 01:46 AM
Double down on the twm fairy barbarian.
I play one at my AL table and he’s a fan favorite, he’s been dubbed the “glitter bomb”.

All levels are barbarian Primal path, except 2 lvl dip into ftr to get twm & action surge. The primal claws give you an extra attack just because. At lvl 3 that is a main attack, extra primal attack, and bonus action off hand attack. At higher levels (5+) that is 4 attacks and an action surge as needed.

Dmg = 1d6 + str + 2 twm + 2 rage
I average just over 10 per hit . And when I reckless attack, I usually hit all 4 times, which is consistently over 40 dmg per round. Gwm misses more often than twm barbarians.

Oh, and another fun trick is to grapple attack, and then he fly up 40’ just to drop the target, who becomes prone.

Nefariis
2022-04-28, 04:35 PM
I thought of another Barbarian/Rogue possibility last night - I know you are already leaning against it, but I am including it to be thorough

Instead of swashbuckling, rogue scout might be more inline with what you are looking for

Skirmisher - Starting at 3rd level, you are difficult to pin down during a fight. You can move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 feet of you. This movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks.

Most people think that this is just good for getting away from people, but this is also good for setting up your next series of attacks as it free movement that doesn't take any of your on-turn actions.

An 5th level Raging Elk Barbarian with mobile will have 65ft of movement, meaning you get a 30 foot reaction move ability.

agree that Barb+Rogue has some great synergy. I'm questioning whether or not it fits this concept though. Cunning Action conflicts with the TWF which I'm completely sold on

I really don't think you are going to use cunning action that much with 65ft of movement every round and mobile. The primary reason to use it would be for the disengage, and if you choose Rogue Scout, you could have it as a reaction instead of a bonus action. The issue that you are going to have as a straight fighter or barbarian is that when three monsters stand next to you, you are essentially stuck in place UNLESS you either give AOO's to all three monsters or you have the mobile feat and you attack each target that is next to you in order to proc mobile (which would prevent you from going after a single high level target that turn). Rogue scout would let you move after the first monster finished their turn, not even allowing the other two monsters to get next to you, so then you can focus your three attacks against anyone that you want.

I definitely agree that 3 attacks are going to be necessary to keep this build competitive at Tier 2 & 3 - but the thing about cunning action, is that you never need it until you do, and as a straight fighter or barbarian, you will never have it.

There is something to be said for double moving 130ft and then dashing for another 65ft on a single turn when you absolutely have to get the get TFO of someplace. If you did the reaction move before that you just moved 225ft in a round without expending any resources.

I have considered swapping handaxes for scimitars. They deal the same type of damage and are both d6s. Scimitars lose the thrown property, but allow me to dump Str and concentrate on the superior Dex stat. I could still start Barb 1 for a really high unarmored defense. Slasher and Squat Nimbleness both work with Dex so no biggie there. I do lose a bit of DPR by going Dex though. Rage bonus damage is not a lot, but does add up when considering the off hand attack.

I would stick with STR and go medium armor (as a side note, sneak attack can process using STR - sorry, it was tough to tell from this sentence if you were speaking as a general idea or if you were speaking to the rogue specifically)

Anyways - he sounds like a fun character, I just wanted to throw another option your way which might "get a little more mileage" (pun intended)