PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 - Ancestral Relic and Epic Item Costs?

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-27, 06:43 PM
So, anything that costs more than 200k gp has an automatic x10 multiplier on costs, due to the epic item rules.

How, exactly, are you supposed to use the Ancestral Relic feat at higher levels, when you've got more than 200k to spend on one item, but less than 2 million?

Biggus
2022-04-27, 07:05 PM
There are some abilities with a flat GP cost you can add on, the MIC has several. A lot of them allow a fixed-DC saving throw so are of limited value at epic levels, but they're better than nothing.

If you're starting at epic level you could start with your relic being a +6 without special abilities for 720,000GP and upgrade as you go along, but obviously that's going to be pretty non-optimal for the first few levels.

But in general, yeah the 10x jump at epic sucks for characters who depend on their weapons. I've tried other ways of pricing epic items but I haven't found a way that works well for all item types.

Troacctid
2022-04-27, 07:24 PM
So, anything that costs more than 200k gp has an automatic x10 multiplier on costs, due to the epic item rules.
No, anything that grants a bonus beyond the usual limit has an automatic x10 multiplier on costs due to the epic item rules. Not the same thing.

Ramza00
2022-04-27, 07:39 PM
Ancestral Relic is merely the 3.5 wealth by level rules but with the maximum relic value being 1/2 your WBL while normally items are 1/4th WBL max.

Thus if we extend the table the max ancestral relic benefit is 600,000 gp at level 22 under 3.5 rules.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-04-27, 07:42 PM
No, anything that grants a bonus beyond the usual limit has an automatic x10 multiplier on costs due to the epic item rules. Not the same thing.Huh. You're right. That certainly flies in the face of every group I've been with that has done anything in epic (not that there have been that many), as well as numerous comments on these boards.

So Ancestral Relic gives you access to epic items at 18th level. Good to know.

Crake
2022-04-27, 08:50 PM
Huh. You're right. That certainly flies in the face of every group I've been with that has done anything in epic (not that there have been that many), as well as numerous comments on these boards.

So Ancestral Relic gives you access to epic items at 18th level. Good to know.

Keep in mind that the list of what qualifies an item as epic is merely a guideline: "The following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general, an item, with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item."

Merely having a market value over 200k is not NECESSARILY a quality of being an epic magic item, as there are a myriad of nonepic magic items in the DMG that have a market value over 200k.

Biggus
2022-04-27, 09:07 PM
Merely having a market value over 200k is not NECESSARILY a quality of being an epic magic item, as there are a myriad of nonepic magic items in the DMG that have a market value over 200k.

There's only one in the DMG (Staff of Power). There are a fair few in 3E as a whole though.