PDA

View Full Version : BIRDMAN- character suggestions

Sherlockpwns
2022-04-28, 12:33 AM
I’ve been kicking around the concept since Tasha’s of a character built around bird companions. I have a few pieces of the puzzle I keep flip flopping on.

The concept is simple: Ranger beastmaster with the sky beast and then summon beast. This allows for 2 summon attacks plus your own attack action (after turn 1).

The two unknown components are the race (yes aaracokra is the obvious choice but level 1 flight races are banned at my table) and the multiclass vs not argument.

The straight forward pure ranger comes online first at level 3 and then fully at level 5. The sky companion becomes the workhorse… bird…and eventually the summon just kinda sucks due to the slow scaling and lack of magical damage. Still should be viable for a while.

The alternative is Ranger 3, druid 3, Probably Druid from here on out, but could also go back to ranger for a bit. In this build it is the summoned bird doing the lifting… flying. This comes online a level later. Could also do Ranger 7 and Druid X, eventually getting the Druid 6 ability at level 13; but at that point is is probably far smarter to just be a ranger and give your sky beast 2 attacks.

“But what about the sky beast terrible hp with just 3 levels in ranger?!” you ask. Well, in theory flyby will keep it safe in most situations. Otherwise it dies in one hit and you bring it back later. Better him than you as they say. The same for the summon, which is what makes this kind of interesting to me. They all have “meh” ac, but what a distraction they’ll make! Two birds swoop in, claw someone, and swoop off in opposite directions while you blast away with a bow or spells or whatnot from a safe distance.

If I can work it in I’d also throw on a bird familiar too, because why not… and I hope to have low charisma being covered in bird feces all the time.

Anyway in general the only leaning I have right now is that Druid taking the first turn to summon hurts less (e.g if you upcast to 4 or 6) than giving up 2 ranger attacks and the Druid is less MAD, but I can certainly be convinced.

So: pure ranger or ranger druid hybrid. Who is the better BIRDMAN? And what race?! And why does my phone capitalize BIRDMAN?! Not that I mind, it’s given the whole post a dramatic flair.

Leon
2022-04-28, 12:47 AM
Play an Aarakocra that cant fly for "plot" reasons till later. Have played two characters over time that were winged but didn't start with actual flight. One of them had a scaling progression to being able to fly and the other had to get the wings magically healed due to injury and loss (Specifically Regenerate)

Pure Ranger also is my vote.

Sherlockpwns
2022-04-28, 01:02 PM
That’s kind of brilliant. I love it.

PhantomSoul
2022-04-28, 02:44 PM
Play an Aarakocra that cant fly for "plot" reasons till later. Have played two characters over time that were winged but didn't start with actual flight. One of them had a scaling progression to being able to fly and the other had to get the wings magically healed due to injury and loss (Specifically Regenerate)

Pure Ranger also is my vote.

An easy excuse can be something cultural or moral -- your wings were clipped {
...because this is what happens to Aarakocra leaving their community, even as political ambassadors
...as punishment for having done something in your backstory (or being blamed for something)
...to protect or control you, e.g. if the Aarakocra are subjugated by some intelligent creature
...in an injury, perhaps even from something like pushing a baby bird out of the nest
}
Curing that too early may be impossible for narrative/moral reasons (maybe you need your people to forgive you, perhaps a clipping involves a curse to bind it) or for mechanical reasons (you need to get to a level when Regenerate and/or Remove Curse is available). And different options have different implications for Aarakocra in the world.

Nefariis
2022-04-28, 03:51 PM
Haha, when I first read this post, I thought you were trying to create Harvey Birdman - which I definitely had some ideas for.

RogueJK
2022-04-28, 04:12 PM
Kenku is a non-flying bird race option...

As for class, I think Druid 2/Beastmaster Ranger X is the sweet spot. Focusing primarily on Ranger gets you ongoing scaling for your Beast of the Sky companion and related subclass abilities, with it only being 8 HP behind. But the 2 level dip into Druid gets you some additional cantrips/spells, some additional upper level slots for upcasting Summon Beast, as well as 2x Wild Shapes per Short Rest each of which can be spent to Find Familiar for an Owl/Raven/Hawk for an hour at a time.

I'd likely do Ranger 5 or 7 -> Druid 2 -> Ranger X.

For your Druid subclass, there's only one real solid option: Stars. This gets you free Guidance cantrip, along with a few free Guiding Bolts per day, the number of which scales with Proficiency not Druid level. Your Wild Shapes are going to be used primarily for Familiars, but can also be spent on Dragon Form for the Concentration boost at times, or you can use Chalice form for boosted healing on occasion. Archer could even be used, by swapping one of your Attacks for a Beast Companion attack and then using your BA for an Archer Form attack, but that's the least compelling of the three Forms for you here.

Something like this:
Kenku or Arakocra
STR 8
DEX 15+1
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 15+2
CHA 8
Defense or Archery Fighting Style at Ranger 2. +1 WIS Half Feat like Skill Expert or Fey Touched at Ranger 4. +2 DEX at Ranger 8.
Ranger Skills: Animal Handling, Survival, and Perception with Expertise from Canny
Background Skills: Stealth and Acrobatics (or if Kenku, Racial Skills of Stealth and Acrobatics and Background Skills of Nature and Insight)

Sherlockpwns
2022-04-29, 02:07 PM
Haha, when I first read this post, I thought you were trying to create Harvey Birdman - which I definitely had some ideas for.

Multiple entendre!

Trust me, one of the birds will be named Avenger.