PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific mapmaking tool

Eldan
2022-04-28, 02:40 AM
So, I'm in need of a very specific tool, or anything that at least gets me halfway there:

I'm trying to make a fantasy city map. However, the city I have in mind very specifically has to be set on a series of islands. Preferably, the map output would also be editable, even better as a vector image. My problem is that all the city map generators I've found put your city on land, on the coast at best. I could draw this in inkscape myself, but city maps are kind of a pain and I already know filling in even vague amounts of buildings could take hours to days.

I have found https://watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator, which is excellent, creates a vector image of a city, very editable. I could use that one, do a lot of pushing around houses and draw island outlines around them, but I was wondering if anyone maybe knows a better tool?

I really just need a map of around ten islands, close together, mostly filled with houses, preferably editable. Think of it as a fantasy Venice.

Saintheart
2022-04-28, 05:31 AM
Make each island city map and then stitch the image files together?

Eldan
2022-04-28, 07:59 AM
Make each island city map and then stitch the image files together?

Huh.
Yeah, that should actually work. Thanks.

Telok
2022-04-28, 03:45 PM
Steal a real world map, Venice comes to mind, and change names &or put it through some image filters.

That's about what I do for supers games based in fictional but realistic cities. Grab something, add/erase & rename some bits, print & go.