PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody like a Mountain dwarf Swashbuckling Samurai multiclass?

Rtgamer
2022-04-28, 11:44 AM
I’ve not seen anything online.. high dex con and cha. Med Str and wis. Low Int. Get a free feat to build and starting out character level 3. Lucky as my pick and next level Squat nimbleness. I was also considering taking the unarmed fighting style for non lethal engagements..
Lol originally thought of as a lawful good female who would punch you in the mouth if she thought you were being rude

Hairfish
2022-04-28, 11:57 AM
Unless immediate face-punching is the proscribed legal remedy for actions or speech the executor interprets as "rude", then you're describing chaotic behavior, not lawful.

RogueJK
2022-04-28, 01:34 PM
high dex con and cha. Med Str and wis. Low Int.

That's pretty MAD. You won't really be able to pull off 5 good ability scores. As a result, you'll need to dump STR in order to manage the other 4 more relevant ability scores that you're needing, so Unarmed Fighting Style won't really be a viable choice. You can't Sneak Attack with Unarmed Strikes anyway...

With Point Buy:
Mountain Dwarf
STR 8
DEX 15
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 14
Racial +2 to DEX and +2 to either WIS or CHA. Take Dueling or Blind Fighting Style. You'll want to wear Studded Leather and wield a Shield and a Rapier. I'd suggest Squat Nimbleness (+1 DEX for 18 DEX) at 1st and then Lucky, followed by +2 DEX.

Level progression would be something like Swashbuckler 3 or 4 -> Samurai 7, and then decide from there if you want more Swashbuckler or more Samurai levels. (I'd suggest Swashbuckler.)

If you're dead-set on making Unarmed Fighting Style work, and are willing to sacrifice your Initiative, DEX saves, Sneak Attacks, and Stealth to do so, you could also do this:
STR 15
DEX 8
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 14
Racial +2 to STR and +2 to either DEX/WIS/CHA. Unarmed Fighting Style. You'd need to start with Fighter for Heavy Armor Proficiency, and wear plate armor. You could still take Squat Nimbleness at Level 1, just putting the +1 to STR instead.

If this is the route that you want to go, I'd recommend not investing many levels in Rogue since you won't be utilizing Sneak Attack often. Instead, I'd go: Fighter 1 or 2 -> Swashbuckler 3 -> Samurai X.

That gets you that "punch in the face" angle, but at the heavy cost of the "nimble swordsman" angle (and again, no Sneak Attacks on your punches to the face). Instead, you're a heavily armored but mobile behemoth with a nasty right hook, like a UFC Heavyweight in Plate Mail. You'd be a very proficient Grappler, with a high STR and Expertise in Athletics and some bonus grapple damage from your Fighting Style. Plus with your ability to Cunning Action Dash, you can move your full 30' in a turn while dragging a grappled foe.

Rtgamer
2022-04-28, 01:58 PM
Unless immediate face-punching is the proscribed legal remedy for actions or speech the executor interprets as "rude", then you're describing chaotic behavior, not lawful.

Face punching not required. My afterthought became blind fighting

Rtgamer
2022-04-28, 02:06 PM
That's pretty MAD. You won't really be able to pull off 5 good ability scores. As a result, you'll need to dump STR in order to manage the other 4 more relevant ability scores that you're needing, so Unarmed Fighting Style won't really be a viable choice. You can't Sneak Attack with Unarmed Strikes anyway...

With Point Buy:
Mountain Dwarf
STR 8
DEX 15
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 14
Racial +2 to DEX and +2 to either WIS or CHA. Take Dueling or Blind Fighting Style. You'll want to wear Studded Leather and wield a Shield and a Rapier. I'd suggest Squat Nimbleness (+1 DEX for 18 DEX) at 1st and then Lucky, followed by +2 DEX.

Level progression would be something like Swashbuckler 3 or 4 -> Samurai 7, and then decide from there if you want more Swashbuckler or more Samurai levels. (I'd suggest Swashbuckler.)

If you're dead-set on making Unarmed Fighting Style work, and are willing to sacrifice your Initiative, DEX saves, Sneak Attacks, and Stealth to do so, you could also do this:
STR 15
DEX 8
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 14
Racial +2 to STR and +2 to either DEX/WIS/CHA. Unarmed Fighting Style. You'd need to start with Fighter for Heavy Armor Proficiency, and wear plate armor.

If this is the route that you want to go, I'd recommend not investing many levels in Rogue since you won't be utilizing Sneak Attack often. Instead, stick to a 1 level dip into Rogue for Athletics Expertise: Fighter 1 or 2 -> Rogue 1 -> Samurai X. Take the Mobile feat instead of Squat Nimbleness, to gain extra movement and a free Disengage after attacking like the Swashbuckler subclass gets.

That gets you the "punch in the face" angle, but at the heavy cost of the "nimble swashbuckling swordsman" angle (and again, no Sneak Attacks on your punches to the face). Instead, you're a heavily armored but speedy behemoth with a nasty right hook. You'd also be a proficient Grappler, with a high STR and Expertise in Athletics and some bonus grapple damage from your Fighting Style.

Good info thank you. I neglected to note ability scores were rolled and bonuses allocated: Str14 Dex18 Con17 Int8 Wis10 Cha16. Punching isn’t all that important.. probably going with blind fighting.