PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making Moon Knight?

Citadel97501
2022-04-28, 03:16 PM
Hello all, I was wondering how you all feel you would make Moon Knight from Marvel's tv show? I was thinking Hexblade & Twilight Cleric with the Tavern Brawler feat for the unarmed combat, eldritch blast can work for the returning moon-a-rangs?

I am pretty sure you could easily replace the Hexblade with Undying Warlock which might make more sense for the armor, and that he was almost dead before being chosen?

strangebloke
2022-04-28, 03:31 PM
Moon Knight as he appears in the show is mostly mundane outside from regeneration and kung-fu power. Being a full-classed full caster seems way out of line with what you want to be doing.

Twilight Cleric 2, Shadow Monk x

This build is hyper stealthy, hyper mobile, and has advantage on initiative. You can use martial weapons, heck, you can take the gunner feat if you like. If you spend ki you can throw shurikens with KFA, and you can cast bless or shield of faith on yourself for a little cleric goodness.

UA revenant for flavor, MPMM bugbear for power, Dhampir for compromise.

Citadel97501
2022-04-28, 03:38 PM
Good points all, I was mainly thinking of Warlock due to the voice of Khonshu always nagging and blackmailing you into things.

Damon_Tor
2022-04-28, 03:49 PM
I would make him an unarmed battlemaster fighter and vengeance paladin.

Use the quick toss maneuver to toss darts: EB as a stand in for a weapon attacks is too much reflavor for my taste, and would lead to a situation where there's no reason to punch guys anymore. Moonk Knight's darts are not the main focus of his combat style, he's an unarmed combatant first with the darts only serving a minor utility role. EB would steal the show.

Damon_Tor
2022-04-28, 04:00 PM
Good points all, I was mainly thinking of Warlock due to the voice of Khonshu always nagging and blackmailing you into things.

As a God, this would call for cleric or paladin flavor, not warlock. Strangebloke is correct, twilight cleric makes them most thematic sense for the servant of a moon god if you go the cleric route. A monk/cleric as he suggests would work fine, but the battlemaster and quick toss gets you to integrate the throwing weapons in a more complementary way.

At the end of the day his mission and powers have more to do with vengeance than they do with the moon in particular.

Rashagar
2022-04-28, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure I know enough about the character to be honest, but from the bit I have seen of the show I'm not sure I'd pick a wisdom based class anyway haha!

I suppose the first place I'd start is asking what part of the character you want to emulate?

If it's just the god-armoured fighting style, I think there's some good suggestions above, but there's a few other options for parts of the character you could be looking to emulate.

Quick-changing between armour and no armour is something you could look to the Armourer Artificer to give. The armour is meant to give him durability and regenerative powers if I remember one of the episodes right, so Heavy Armour Master and/or some source of temporary hit points could be good (Eldritch Adept for at-will False Life? There's probably better options but to properly emulate it you'd want a selfish source of temp hp rather than one that is designed to give them to self+allies). Artificer would also have the added benefit of incentivising Intelligence investment, for those history and religion/arcana checks that the bookish persona is so good at, would give you a Returning weapon, and be generally useful for whatever firearms malarky the action-man persona gets up to. The bad thing about Armourer specifically is that you'd probably need to houserule the thunder fists and lightning launcher to some other kind of damage type, and spells would require another bit of reflavouring. (For example, while it's perfectly fitting for a moon god to give you the power to cast Faerie Fire, or for that effect to be created by some kind of disorienting explosive device, I don't know if that's something the character is really shown as doing much, either in moon-mode or commando-man mode.)

I personally don't see anything wrong with picking levels in Warlock instead of Cleric if you're wanting to represent being influenced by a deity, it is a banished and disgraced god if I heard rightly, which is perfectly warlock-y.

stoutstien
2022-04-28, 04:56 PM
Long death monk is probably the easiest option.

YoungestGruff
2022-04-28, 06:19 PM
There's a few options. I was considering making Moon Knight for my own game, so I could deviate from RAW in one respect and turn the Hexblade's weapon into armor. For my game, it wouldn't be too much of a buff to just say that with the armor summoned and hands empty, his fists deal 1d6/1d8 damage.

Thematically, Twilight Cleric is a great call. Servant of the Moon God and all that. As mentioned before, though, he isn't a fullcaster type by any means.

If I'm honest and ignore my love of Warlocks, Vengeance Paladin with Unarmed Fighting style is probably the most on point with the single reflavor (if it's even that) that the oath was taken unwillingly.

loki_ragnarock
2022-04-28, 06:58 PM
Which class is the best at collecting money from Dracula?

I guess some kind of rogue/monk multiclass.