PDA

View Full Version : Twilight CD and Skulker feat

RingoBongo
2022-04-28, 08:08 PM
Say for fun I wanted to make a rogue that could just ghost-mode anyone .... (Phantom Rogue / Twilight 2).

Anyways.... Looking at later feats I keep going back to skulker, thinking how bad ass it would be to have this feat while the channel divinity dim light radius is active. Would that mean I can hide in plain sight? What about movement?....

Would they see/sense me as I move, not attacking or spellcasting. Could I be targeted? What is the overall utility of this feat/channel divinity combo?

heavyfuel
2022-04-28, 08:25 PM
Would that mean I can hide in plain sight? What about movement?....

Would they see/sense me as I move, not attacking or spellcasting. Could I be targeted? What is the overall utility of this feat/channel divinity combo?

You could. You'd be lightly obscured after all.

You'd still have to roll Stealth. If you pass their Passive Perception, they wouldn't notice you, unless they spend their action making a Perception check. You couldn't be targeted by things that require enemies to see you, but a lot of things bypass that need.

Corran
2022-04-28, 08:25 PM
It's a very interesting dip. And skuler is a decent feat already and combines very nicely with the hillariously good range of your darkvision (safer and better scouting). Play a (high) elf to get a longbow and better exploit the aforementioned range. Skulker + CD can be great, but beware the DM getting the enemies guessing you are at the center of that area (in which case it most likely easier to target you), cause that may take away nough value from bonus action hiding and from off turn sneak attacks.

As for noticing the CD's sphere, well, the DC is up to the DM when it comes to unsuspecting targets and/or distance. Otherwise it's noticable (exept when already in dim light in which case you dont need it anyway), and then it's up to how the DM plays the enemies to know how valuable something like this would be during combat.

heavyfuel
2022-04-28, 08:31 PM
beware the DM getting the enemies guessing you are at the center of that area

That's a good point. OP would technically be hidden, but he'd be an aura of dim light walking around the battlefield

RingoBongo
2022-04-29, 05:12 PM
It's a very interesting dip. And skuler is a decent feat already and combines very nicely with the hillariously good range of your darkvision (safer and better scouting). Play a (high) elf to get a longbow and better exploit the aforementioned range. Skulker + CD can be great, but beware the DM getting the enemies guessing you are at the center of that area (in which case it most likely easier to target you), cause that may take away nough value from bonus action hiding and from off turn sneak attacks.

As for noticing the CD's sphere, well, the DC is up to the DM when it comes to unsuspecting targets and/or distance. Otherwise it's noticable (exept when already in dim light in which case you dont need it anyway), and then it's up to how the DM plays the enemies to know how valuable something like this would be during combat.

I chose kobold and took ss + archery fs. Right now am twilight 1/ rogue 8. Got a crossbow and a two bird sling.

That's a good point. OP would technically be hidden, but he'd be an aura of dim light walking around the battlefield

Though if I staggered and went it may look less obvious. But I'd say it's still a bad ass ghost move. Especially if you can gat your dm on board with moving as a weird invisible button you can turn on once per short rest.

Not sure if it's worth it but the one level dip has been fun.

Corran
2022-04-29, 08:00 PM
Not sure if it's worth it but the one level dip has been fun.
In even gives prof with all armor and weapons. Not that it's the most exciting thing among what it has to offer, but damn, twilight clerics are loaded. Out of curiosity, which cleric spells have you found most useful so far?

RingoBongo
2022-04-29, 08:46 PM
In even gives prof with all armor and weapons. Not that it's the most exciting thing among what it has to offer, but damn, twilight clerics are loaded. Out of curiosity, which cleric spells have you found most useful so far?
Hands down, healing word or bless (if I can precast). But if you collect a small pile of lvl 1 scrolls, which are pretty cheap in my world, I don't have to worry too much about slots because well most of the time I just pew pew... Though I have used spare the dying more than I have on any other character.

da newt
2022-04-30, 07:11 AM
If you or another PC can cast HEX and choose WIS then the target's Passive Perception gets -5 or their active perception is rolled at DISADV - it can help with your hiding.

While the twilight sanctuary's dim light is fun, it's other benefits are OP.

Corran
2022-05-02, 12:56 PM
Hands down, healing word or bless (if I can precast).
Makes sense. Any success with sanctuary (despite a not maxed DC)?

Cure wounds sounds nice with stacking spell scrolls. Detect magic isn't bad on a rogue either.

Pildion
2022-05-02, 01:42 PM
Say for fun I wanted to make a rogue that could just ghost-mode anyone .... (Phantom Rogue / Twilight 2).

Anyways.... Looking at later feats I keep going back to skulker, thinking how bad ass it would be to have this feat while the channel divinity dim light radius is active. Would that mean I can hide in plain sight? What about movement?....

This combo would work really well with a Wood Elf, grab a longbow to make most use of that 300' dark vision and also get Mask of the Wild. You wouldn't even really need the Skulker Feat at that point.

Corran
2022-05-02, 01:49 PM
This combo would work really well with a Wood Elf, grab a longbow to make most use of that 300' dark vision and also get Mask of the Wild. You wouldn't even really need the Skulker Feat at that point.
That was my first thought, but twilight clerics already get martial weapon proficiency if I am not mistaken.

The skuler feat negates the disadantage on perception checks when using the 300' darkvision, which is pretty good when scouting and which can also be useful during combat too. Moreover, it allows you to use your bonus action to hide when in dim light, which can be pretty nice for playing a rogue in melee.

Pildion
2022-05-02, 02:26 PM
That was my first thought, but twilight clerics already get martial weapon proficiency if I am not mistaken.

The skuler feat negates the disadantage on perception checks when using the 300' darkvision, which is pretty good when scouting and which can also be useful during combat too. Moreover, it allows you to use your bonus action to hide when in dim light, which can be pretty nice for playing a rogue in melee.

The darkvision is from the cleric is taking care of the dim light issue when attacking already,

Eyes of Night TCE p34[–]
1st-level Twilight Domain feature
You can see through the deepest gloom. You have darkvision out to a range of 300 feet. In that radius, you can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

And Skulkers last point is Dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks relying on sight. But for the twilight cleric, dim light is normal, so no penalties anyways.

Also Wood Elf Mask of the Wild; You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena. So other then in the middle of a city, you can bonus action hide with your light obscurment. Not everywhere no, Skulker wouldn't be worthless, but I think Mask of the Wild is good enough to save the ASI.

Chronos
2022-05-02, 02:49 PM
An attack roll isn't a perception (wisdom) check.

Corran
2022-05-02, 03:34 PM
And Skulkers last point is Dim light doesn't impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks relying on sight. But for the twilight cleric, dim light is normal, so no penalties anyways.
You are essentially assuming no synergy between darkvision and skulker, in the sense that darkvision turns darkness into dim light for you and thus making skulker apply after that. I was assuming a DM will run it this way.

RingoBongo
2022-05-02, 06:18 PM
Makes sense. Any success with sanctuary (despite a not maxed DC)?

Cure wounds sounds nice with stacking spell scrolls.
I have sanctuary and other first level scrolls. I prep bless, healing word, and a wild card.

I never really use cure wounds because is expensive and its not a bonus action. I want to shoot every turn.

Moreover, it allows you to use your bonus action to hide when in dim light, which can be pretty nice for playing a rogue in melee.

Heck yeah, the class most capable of doing that whenever! A ranger or druid could too with a special cloak.

The darkvision is from the cleric is taking care of the dim light issue when attacking already,

Eyes of Night TCE p34[–]
1st-level Twilight Domain feature
You can see through the deepest gloom. You have darkvision out to a range of 300 feet. In that radius, you can see in dim light as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

Also Wood Elf Mask of the Wild; You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena. So other then in the middle of a city, you can bonus action hide with your light obscurment. Not everywhere no, Skulker wouldn't be worthless, but I think Mask of the Wild is good enough to save the ASI.

Does wood elf allow hides in dim light? That's pretty good too! Damn. That would have been a better direction with a little more foresight.

The wording is confusing. But the ability to do so in dim light is pretty cool, especially paired with that radius of dim light that the channel divinity provides. Ghost-mode, once per short rest.