PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Advice Wanted: Level 11 Scout Progression & Gear

godros
2022-04-30, 01:23 PM
Greetings all,

TL;DR at the end.

I am looking for advice as to how to min/max my Scout Archer. I am playing in a Homebrew Campaign Setting based on the 3.5 rule set. Pretty much any source book is on the table, even some 3.0 books are permissible, at the DM’s discretion. Alternative sources such as Unearthed Arcana and Dragon Magazines are not expressly prohibited, but they are subject to DM approval. There are some arbitrary class restrictions in this campaign due to the nature of the setting and the DM’s decisions.

My character is Godros Fernvale the Fox. He is a Wild Elf and his class is Scout. Having liberated a major metropolitan city from corrupt rule, we are being allowed a 1yr time skip and have all just been awarded level 12. As it stands, Godros has 11 levels in Scout and the 12th level has not yet been decided, but I am heavily leaning towards Scout. I’ve already got 11 levels there, I don’t see any reason to multi-class. Though I am not by any means opposed to multi-classing or Prestige Classing, I just haven’t found something that resonates with the character. But, at the end of the day, what I’m really looking to do is increase my Base Attack Bonus so that I can hit things more consistently. My damage numbers seem fine so far, but I feel like I miss on my attack rolls far too often and it’s disappointing. I’m also interested in finding ways to allow Godros to move 20ft in a turn and still get to use a Full Attack.

Story-wise, the character has been a mostly peaceful tracker sort who is intent on uniting the elven tribes and promoting peace, harmony, and cooperation between the elves, orcs, raptorans, and other intelligent races on the continent.

I have served as the party’s tracker/scout and the source of ranged physical damage, constantly seeking a height advantage to proc Skirmish, Improved Skirmish, and the Piercer Cloak. I typically ride a horse named Trillwing when we’re on the road, and quickly dismount when we have to fight.

With the time-skip and level up, we are also being afforded the opportunity to re-gear our characters.

It is also important to note that we have some interesting “boons” from the deities of the campaign. My character has been awarded the boon of the Bat, the Swallow, the Fox, and the Octopus.

Bat - Once per day, you may unleash a sonic ray at a target, dealing 1d6 damage/2 levels to creatures and objects it hits. Also gain increasing bonus to Listen skill and become sensitive to subsonic sound.

Swallow - Once per day, gain the ability to rapidly ascend up to 10 ft. per level into the air and hover there for a turn. After this turn, descend up to twice the distance ascended at a rate of 60ft. per turn, with as much as a 5 ft. adjustment laterally for each 60 ft. Also gain an increasing bonus to Survival skill.

Fox - Call upon a foxwoman to negotiate a service. Also gain increasing bonus to Sense Motive skill.

Octopus - Fusion for 1 round + 1 round/5 levels. Take better of both participant's stats. Can only fuse with other Godblessed. Also gain increasing bonus to Decipher Script skill.
** Octopus boon characters in the party include a Knight 9/Ru’athar 3 and a Monk 4/Cleric 4/Shadow Dancer 4. We can all fuse together as 3-into-1, or we can combine any 2 characters for the fusion.

The rest of the party includes a fireball Wu Jen, a trader-Cleric with dual pistols, and a kobold Artificer who wants to blow up the sun (he’s really a freakin’ great character lol).

Now, I do understand that my character has NOT been min/maxed thus far. I have asked the DM and I am unable to retrain the character. That is fine, even if I don’t fully agree with the decision, I will abide by it. This is a long-running group of friends of mine and this is not the first time I have had a differing opinion. At the core of it all, I just enjoy hanging out and playing the game with them.

Anyway, here are the details regarding Godros Fernvale the Fox:

Class: Scout 11

Ability Scores:
STR: 12
DEX: 18
CON: 13
INT: 15
WIS: 13
CHA: 12

** I have already applied the level 12 Ability Score Increase to my DEX score.

Feats:
Point Blank Shot
Precise Shot
Quick Reconnoiter
Track
Dodge
Improved Skirmish
** Level 12 Feat is undecided as of yet.

Equipment:
+1 Darkwood Elvencraft Mighty Composite Longbow (+1), equipped with Alchemical Silver close-fighting blades
Starmetal Tomahawk (qty: 2)
Masterwork Chain Vest with Forestwarden Shroud
Piercer Cloak
Watch Lamp
Boots of Agile Leaping
Handy Haversack
Efficient Quiver (typically stocked with a mix of Steel Arrows, Cold Iron Arrows, Alchemical Silver Arrows, and Adamantine Arrows)
Bracers of Wind
Gauntlets of Extended Range
Safewing Emblem

Most Commonly Used Skills:
Hide: +16 bonus (13 ranks)
Jump: +13 bonus (10 ranks)
Knowledge (Nature): +10 bonus (8 ranks)
Listen: +13 bonus (12 ranks)
Move Silently: +16 bonus (13 ranks)
Ride: +8 bonus (4 ranks)
Spot: +10 bonus (9 ranks)
Survival: +14 bonus (13 ranks)
Tumble: +11 bonus (8 ranks)

So what I’m thinking is take Scout 12, and get some new gear. I’m not completely sure as to what gear I would like to equip Godros with, however. I’m currently considering adding the Blindsighted property to my existing bow. I’m also looking at:

Keep the Piercer Cloak
Bracers of Archer, Greater, with a +4 Dex enchantment
Mithral Armor
Foxhide Armor
Armor of the Unending Hunt
Celestial Armor
Combining Skirmisher Boots, Boots of Agile Leaping, and Boots of Striding and Springing
Belt of Battle

I have 88,000 gold to use for gear, per the Character Wealth by Level chart.

Sorry for the wall of text. Any thoughts/advice/direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to reading your replies.

TL;DR: looking for advice as to what class to take for level 12 and what gear to purchase to help my tracker/scout/archer be more useful and land hits more consistently in combat while maximizing damage with Skirmish & Improved Skirmish & (maybe) Piercer Cloak height advantage