PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on characters and campaign

Sir Edgen
2022-05-01, 08:17 AM
Hello everybody! Me as Dm and my group have just started PF adventure path Kingmaker. So far we're having a blast, this is most crazy pre-written campaign I've ever had - some weird cross between Adventure Time and Borderlands.
However, there is a big problem and it is 100% my fault. I've failed to emphasize enough that characters are expected to take leading roles in the growing country - roles that suggest commitment, responsibility, good organizing skills and some in-character paperwork. None of the characters has motivation, attention span and/or traits to be in serious charge.
Forcing players to start over or changing core of their characters is out of question. Is it possible to somehow downgrade the seriousness of the leading roles or do something else to make this all work? Thanks in advance

Saintheart
2022-05-01, 09:19 AM
Pretty sure the AP has notes about how you can make the campaign more one where the kingdom sort-of runs in the background while the characters continue on their merry way poking their noses in dark basements marked "Keep ye outte", or alternatively - find a few competent NPCs, the first part of the adventure has several of them who can be foisted into leadership responsibility positions.

Mordante
2022-05-03, 05:06 AM
Why not just created a NPC for all these boring jobs.

Seward
2022-05-03, 08:08 PM
Better still, use getting such competent NPCs as an adventure hook, after they get a brief taste of how boring it will be to actually run their kingdom. Rescue them, get the stuff to raise them from the dead, marry a princess who is an able administrator, whatever it takes....