PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Multiple Animate Dead pools? Impossible?

redking
2022-05-03, 12:58 AM
Unlike turning/rebuking pools, multiple animate dead pools appears to be impossible. Is this right?

Gruftzwerg
2022-05-03, 03:23 AM
Unlike turning/rebuking pools, multiple animate dead pools appears to be impossible. Is this right?

"Nothing is impossible" Toyo.. err. I mean 3.5 ^^

If you are up for high TO abuse it's possible:

1. Warlock
2. Obtain Familiar
3. use either "Crawling Eye" or "Disembodied Hand" as guest for the Symbiotic template (Savage Species) on your familiar
4. Extra Familiar (Dragon Magazine IIRC)
5. your first familiar can now use CE/DH on his own to give the symbiotic template to the new (extra) Familiar
6. Extra Familiar
7. see 5.
8. ...

The symbiotic template (+1LA) copies all your abilities over to the host. The warlock basically gives his ability to animate dead to his familiar(s) and thus increases the amount of animate dead pools the build has access to.

You can also give this template to any other willing character/ally. They will all get your warlock abilities. And if you form a "circle" with you as the last link receiving the template (see the build link) everybody shares his abilities to each other in the circle.

The abuse of Crawling Eye/Disembodied Hand with the symbiotic template is showcased in more detail in my BORG Queen (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?643998-quot-I-am-the-BORG-quot-the-BORG-Queen)build. (if you want to read more on that combo).

sleepyphoenixx
2022-05-03, 03:57 AM
You can always control an undead caster (via rebuking, Animate Dread Warrior or Command Undead) with their own Animate Dead pools.
If you go for rebuking there are several templates usable with Create Greater Undead that let a raised caster keep his spellcasting ability like Spectral Mage (LEoF) or Bonesinger (Ghostwalk).

Beni-Kujaku
2022-05-03, 06:47 AM
An easy way to do that would be to buy a Spell Storing weapon in which you put animate dead. Have one of your friends (or one of your animated minions) wield it. Whenever you kill a creature with it, you can discharge the spell and it animates under the control of the wielder. You can have a lot of undead HD pools by using those of the whole party.

Edit: I'm not sure that would really work, since you're targetting "a creature" with the weapon and the spell targets the "corpse of a creature". Anyway. A Minor Ring of Spell Storing is a bit more pricey but works without issue.

Fero
2022-05-03, 07:43 AM
Play a Runesmith and give Animate Dead runes to your allies (or awakened undead).

Imbue Familiar With Spell Ability.

Imbue with Spell Ability.

I believe the Yathrinshee can control unlimited undead (overall weak prc but can do some interesting stuff with necromancy).

If your goal is simply a giant hoard though, Chain metamagic Control Undead is probably the way to go.

Fero
2022-05-03, 08:43 AM
I forgot Similacrum/Ice Assasin and intelligent magic items.

Why do you want so many undead?

Telonius
2022-05-03, 08:48 AM
(Misread the title and thought, "I'd settle for one.")

redking
2022-05-03, 10:17 AM
If your goal is simply a giant hoard though, Chain metamagic Control Undead is probably the way to go.

You are right. And I found this brutal combo on Minmax (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=15368.msg272019#msg272019).

half drow
Wiz, necro variant (Spectral hand w/ Practiced Caster) 1
Cleric 5
Necrotheurge 6
Yathrinshee 5

Bloodlines 3 :)

Enhanced Undead (Ex): Any time a necromancer using this variant creates an undead creature (such as with animate dead , create undead , or create greater undead ), all undead creatures created gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Dexterity, and two additional hit points per Hit Die.

Necromancer (Ex): The yathrinshee has unsurpassed power over death. When she casts spells from the school of necromancy, all her spellcaster levels stack for the purpose of determining her effective caster level.

Curse of the Revenancer (Su): Any creature slain by a yathrinshee of 5th level or higher rises immediately as a zombie under her control.

+ necrothurge stuff

Outer Circle : x5 CL animate

=============
CL wiz 4 cleric 9 yath 6/6 necro 9 : necromancy casting 34

anything you kill rises w/out cost with control.

necrot animate 120 hd