PDA

View Full Version : Level 4 advice, descent avernus artificer

Spacehamster
2022-05-04, 12:40 AM
My battlesmith turns 4 at start of next session, ability scores: 10/13/16/17/12/8 standard array, he fights up front with his pet using a great sword.

What would you folks in the playground take with the ASI, even out DEX and INT? A half feat that ups INT?
Or something entirely different?

Mastikator
2022-05-04, 01:05 AM
A half feat or +1 int +1 dex are both good. With a half feat don't take anything that needs a bonus action, battlesmiths already weaponize their bonus action. Skill Expert is a decent option if you feel like you're lacking in any skill, especially if your DM likes to roll on particular skills.

Descent into avernus is a very tough campaign IMO so it may be smart to switch to sword and shield for a little extra survivability (unless you got GWM).

Damon_Tor
2022-05-04, 01:29 AM
even out DEX and INT?

Yes, absolutely

Spacehamster
2022-05-04, 01:53 AM
A half feat or +1 int +1 dex are both good. With a half feat don't take anything that needs a bonus action, battlesmiths already weaponize their bonus action. Skill Expert is a decent option if you feel like you're lacking in any skill, especially if your DM likes to roll on particular skills.

Descent into avernus is a very tough campaign IMO so it may be smart to switch to sword and shield for a little extra survivability (unless you got GWM).

Were actually thinking of taking observant for plus 1 INT at 4 and skill expert for 1 DEX at 8 and expertise in perception to make him a regular Sherlock Holmes. :)

And yeah sword and board have been on my thoughts for a bit. :)

Pildion
2022-05-04, 06:37 AM
My battlesmith turns 4 at start of next session, ability scores: 10/13/16/17/12/8 standard array, he fights up front with his pet using a great sword.

What would you folks in the playground take with the ASI, even out DEX and INT? A half feat that ups INT?
Or something entirely different?

your down an AC with only 13 Dex, you need to go +1Dex\+1Int my friend. Your up front in melee so AC is very important for you, and you could still take Observant at level 8, then finish Int off with another half feat at level 12 if you really want to.

Spacehamster
2022-05-04, 06:45 AM
your down an AC with only 13 Dex, you need to go +1Dex\+1Int my friend. Your up front in melee so AC is very important for you, and you could still take Observant at level 8, then finish Int off with another half feat at level 12 if you really want to.

AC have actually not been much of a problem, sitting at 16, 18 when I swap sword & board, plus I have shield spell and my steel defender imposes disadvantage on an attack against me once per round as well so have rarely been hit. :)

Edit: also saving up to the strongest medium armor so will be up by an additional AC pretty soon.

stoutstien
2022-05-04, 07:06 AM
I'd vote for fey touched if it's available. For a half caster getting 2 spell known and a free casting of each go a long way.

Spacehamster
2022-05-04, 07:14 AM
I'd vote for fey touched if it's available. For a half caster getting 2 spell known and a free casting of each go a long way.

Agree it would work great, sadly he is a dwarf interested in machinery, mead & mining so thematically an elf style feyish feat would suit him badly. :(

Psyren
2022-05-04, 09:49 AM

Agree it would work great, sadly he is a dwarf interested in machinery, mead & mining so thematically an elf style feyish feat would suit him badly. :(

How about Shadow-Touched? Just say you have some Duergar/Underdark heritage or something.

My preferred option would be the +1 Dex/Int though.

stoutstien
2022-05-04, 10:52 AM
Flavor is free. Could be you exposed yourself to a nasty dose of fey magic when you were experimenting around with your boots of winding path or maybe to give your homunculus life you needed to draw on the raw magic of the feywild and you learned to store some if that magic for your personal use. Used some pixie dust when trying to make a potions of flight but instead you can teleport (Misty step) but only if you hold your breath. Have fun with it.

PhantomSoul
2022-05-04, 01:26 PM
Flavor is free. Could be you exposed yourself to a nasty dose of fey magic when you were experimenting around with your boots of winding path or maybe to give your homunculus life you needed to draw on the raw magic of the feywild and you learned to store some if that magic for your personal use. Used some pixie dust when trying to make a potions of flight but instead you can teleport (Misty step) but only if you hold your breath. Have fun with it.

Or even flavouring teleportation as being invisible+moving (and counterspell + being magic still fits that) to make it a shoutout to the duergar abilities, but the potential thematic link between misty step and boots of winding path is a fun link I hadn't thought of...

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-05-04, 02:28 PM
For me I'd be considering where I want to be at level 8.
Option A: level your 2 scores now + an ASI at 8
Option B: level your 2 scores now + Full Feat at 8
Option C: 1/2 feat now and 1/2 feat at 8

If you can't find a 1/2 feat for both scores that you want then you're better with Option A or B.

Spacehamster
2022-05-04, 11:47 PM
For me I'd be considering where I want to be at level 8.
Option A: level your 2 scores now + an ASI at 8
Option B: level your 2 scores now + Full Feat at 8
Option C: 1/2 feat now and 1/2 feat at 8

If you can't find a 1/2 feat for both scores that you want then you're better with Option A or B.

Want Observant(INT) and skill expert(DEX) so should be fine. :)