PDA

View Full Version : New idea for a team evil trap with Sereni's resources.

Smoutwortel
2022-05-04, 10:43 AM
In order to defeat team evil a good trap can be really useful like it has proven to be against Elan's father.

If you have suggestions, points of criticism or own ideas feel free to post.

A challenge they will face is the need to not reveal the existence of the teleport trap, while still using the surprise effect it grants.
I suggest to do this by using one of the locations it teleports to for a trap, which can be done since team evil recently had to reset their entire search schedule, due to the discovery of the wrongly marked doors.

One of the bigger challenges of the order is that they want so many of their adversaries alive. O'chul and Sereni want the monster in the dark alive, everyone wants Redcloack alive and Oona and their animal companion can probably get at least some sympathy from Sereni, O'chul, Belkar, Durkon and Roy(Not having been a big an active threat to them and mostly just being an bystander who got sucked in).

I think the best way to get rid of the monster of the dark without seriously harming is to use their tankiness to seperate them from the rest.

I suggest to do that by taking a long and complex hallway with many rigid doors, a slow way to drain liquids out of it and two great basins of a liquid(I advice holy water) at both of its ends that can be drained in the hallway from one of the rooms with a by bars obstructed way to drain liquids out of it. Close all doors except for the door of the room from where the basins are operated and place O'chul in another room than that room. Prepare a fast way to sturdily close the door opening(like Stone Shape, Wall of Stone, Sunny's Telikinesis ray and Wall of Force).
If team evil enters the hallway flush the hallway. Thanks to its tankiness the monster of the dark probably has the most stable footing of team evil and will thus flow the slowest making it possible to lock the door opening before they too flow into the room.
After separating them from the rest of the team and waiting until enough of the liquid is drained out of the hallway for O'chul to enter let O'chul explain the situation to them and don't give O'chul the location of the now obstructed control room. Close the door of the control room, so the monster in the dark will have more trouble finding it.

They also have to disable redcloack before Redcloack casts uses a 9th level spell slot.

My suggestion to achieve this:
Make sure this room has a high ceiling.
Install in this room small with Serini's signature poison poisoned pikes on the bars, by the liquid drainage point and have Sunny float high up and aim their anti-magic field at it, so Redcloack doesn't get saved from the poison effect by the Crimson Mantle or any other of his magic items.
First if the liquid is drained from the room have Miranda and the female paladin strip all the unconscious creatures of their magic items and constrain them.
Second have Sunny move the anti-magic field from the area and shoot Redcloack with the petrify ray, shoot Oona with the sleep ray and shoot their animal companion with the paralyzing ray.
At last have Miranda and the female paladin lock cast neutralize poison on them and lock them up somewhere safe.

Xykon is a really strong caster and yet still a lich and thus basically impervious to non-magical attacks.

My suggestions to work around this are
- Surround him when the possibility appears, so less of this area of effect spells will help him.
- Let everyone who faces Xykon carry objects with silence cast on it and communicate with a telepathy spell, so Xykon can't cast verbal spells.
- (only works if liches can't see in the dark, but I thought they couldn't) Cast darkvision on Roy and make the room dark, so he doesn't see his enemies, since he is a human and thus can't see in the dark.
- Try to use dexterity based attacks on him, since that's his weakest stats(petrify ray and clubbing him with a magical sword for example)
- Have Roy focus on pulling spell splinter manouvres, while the rest of the martial characters like Belkar, Haley and Serini try to beat him up.
- Have Sunny focus his anti-magic cone on the faraway casters, since you can still fire spells out of a anti-magic cone, but inside they do nothing.

Xykon can probably teleport good enough on those places he got teleported to by the teleport trap that if he were to try the would succeed.
My suggestion:
Use dimensional lock or use a magic item with a comparable effect. You don't want to deal with the side effects of other dimensional locking spells like hallow(Belkar), forbiddance(They enemy gets thrown out of the room) and Anti-magic field(You can't use magic).

Precure
2022-05-04, 11:10 AM
Who are Sereni and Miranda?

Peelee
2022-05-04, 12:03 PM

Miranda is a planet, not a person.

you can't take the sky from me.

KorvinStarmast
2022-05-04, 01:02 PM
{snip detailed explanation } This suggestion may win the thousand-dollar prize1 offered by the author for ideas and suggestions that improve his story.

1 it doesn't actually exist

Mike Havran
2022-05-04, 04:09 PM
Looks like you really thought about that a lot, but I see it as, well, needlessly complicated. I have no idea how would our heroes craft those basins and concot enough usable liquid in forseeable time. Betting on AMF against Redcloak can backfire easily since Crimson Mantle is an artifact and had already shielded him against epic-level anticaster magic in the past.

I have much simpler proposal. Xykon is the only TE person who uses flight. When they emerge from the dungeon and Xykon spots flying Vaarsuvius, he will get immediately triggered because V pissed him off by escaping him after throwing his phylactery into the sewers. He will start to pursue V, who shall lure him away from the rest of his team who will not be able to follow his pace. Then, ambush him with the rest of the gang, preferably Spellsplintered Roy. After he's dust, approach the rest.

KorvinStarmast
2022-05-04, 06:13 PM
needlessly complicated.
Nale is dead, but the spirit of Nale lives on. :smallcool:

brian 333
2022-05-04, 07:32 PM
G.Gygax concocted a trap for the gods of Elemental Evil and Elemental Chaos. See, there was this universe where the two wanted to rule forever by utterly destroying everything. So the deities of Creation got busy and built a million other universes and never told the bad guys. Safely locked away in one universe where Chaos and Evil won, they then had to deal with each other while the million other universes went on their way without the bad guys. Even the other bad guys never told them because of what happened to the bad guys in the original universe.

So, my new theory I just made up is, while TE is exploring dungeons, everyone else will evacuate to The Snarl's planet. One day TE comes out and realizes they are in an empty universe with no idea where everyone else went.

KorvinStarmast
2022-05-05, 02:46 PM
So, my new theory I just made up is, while TE is exploring dungeons, everyone else will evacuate to The Snarl's planet. One day TE comes out and realizes they are in an empty universe with no idea where everyone else went.
Franjean Xykon: Oh no, where did everybody go?
Rool Redcloak: Maybe it was something we said.

Smoutwortel
2022-05-13, 12:24 PM

Sorry, Serini= epic aggressive female halfling rogue, Miranda = female dwarven cleric

I thought I remembered the names correctly.

Smoutwortel
2022-05-13, 12:36 PM
Looks like you really thought about that a lot, but I see it as, well, needlessly complicated. I have no idea how would our heroes craft those basins and concot enough usable liquid in forseeable time. Betting on AMF against Redcloak can backfire easily since Crimson Mantle is an artifact and had already shielded him against epic-level anticaster magic in the past.

I have much simpler proposal. Xykon is the only TE person who uses flight. When they emerge from the dungeon and Xykon spots flying Vaarsuvius, he will get immediately triggered because V pissed him off by escaping him after throwing his phylactery into the sewers. He will start to pursue V, who shall lure him away from the rest of his team who will not be able to follow his pace. Then, ambush him with the rest of the gang, preferably Spellsplintered Roy. After he's dust, approach the rest.

a. Yes, I think a lot about a lot of things, so my stuff gets needlessly complicated really fast.
b. Aren't you afraid he will simply use distance spells to get Vaarsuvius like meteor swarm(he seems to have a special affinity for that one)
c. I have to confess I assumed a continuously generated anti-magic field as unbeatable, but since epic magic and house rules are in play this is maybe a little presumptuous.
d. The time component is patched by the aggressive halfling rogue's magical trap and the monster in the dark's sabotage, giving them months.
e. They have a cleric and a wizard who could cast create water although a faster way of obtaining liquid is desirable and an epic trap savy rogue.

KorvinStarmast
2022-05-13, 07:47 PM
Sorry, Serini= epic aggressive female halfling rogue, Miranda = female dwarven cleric

I thought I remembered the names correctly. You did not. It is Minrah. Also, please read 1257.

Smoutwortel
2022-05-15, 02:17 PM
You did not. It is Minrah. Also, please read 1257.

Done, but it doesn't actually affect my plan, for I wanted to set the trap in a way later stage and without breaking the teleport trap.

Mike Havran
2022-05-15, 05:54 PM
a. Yes, I think a lot about a lot of things, so my stuff gets needlessly complicated really fast.
b. Aren't you afraid he will simply use distance spells to get Vaarsuvius like meteor swarm(he seems to have a special affinity for that one)
c. I have to confess I assumed a continuously generated anti-magic field as unbeatable, but since epic magic and house rules are in play this is maybe a little presumptuous.
d. The time component is patched by the aggressive halfling rogue's magical trap and the monster in the dark's sabotage, giving them months.
e. They have a cleric and a wizard who could cast create water although a faster way of obtaining liquid is desirable and an epic trap savy rogue.b: Vaarsuvius will certainly approach Xykon buffed up and abjured (Bear's Endurance, Stoneskin, Deathward, Protection from Fire and the likes). They know most of Xykon's spells; that will get him to waste some time and spells.

User24
2022-06-16, 05:47 AM

Relying on Vaarsuvius isn't a good idea for a plan involving the gates, as the IFCC's goal seems to be related to the Snarl + the gates, which Roy and Vaarsuvius (and maybe the other members idk if they were told) are aware of. I'd say Haley should do it instead, as she's the other order member who flies, but your plan at least partly relies on Xykon being annoyed at Vaarsuvius, and Haley hasn't done anything specific to annoy him.
If they really wanted to do a plan like that, Vaarsuvius (or Haley with her wand) could cast fly on O-Chul, who also had a part in Xykon's phylactery ending up in the sewer.