PDA

View Full Version : Movies The Northman

Catullus64
2022-05-04, 11:28 AM
Went to see Robert Eggers' latest film, The Northman, in theaters last night. I adored this film to pieces, so I'm gonna gush about it here for a bit.

The Northman is the story of Amleth, a Nordic prince in the ninth century who, as a child, sees his uncle Fjollir kill his father the king, and abduct his mother. As a grown-up marauder, he learns that said uncle has been banished to Iceland, taking the hero's mother and younger brother along with him, giving him a chance to pursue his long-delayed revenge. The movie that follows involves prophecies, communion with the dead, magic swords, ancient tombs guarded by undead warriors, midnight raids, human sacrifice, hallucinogenic visions, field hockey, sex, love, and betrayals. It also ends with a duel in a volcano (not as big a spoiler as it sounds, since said duel is prophesied about ten minutes into the movie). If that description doesn't already have you buying tickets, this movie probably isn't for you.

Don't think from that description that it's a fun-for-the-whole-family adventure romp, though, it definitely earns its R-rating. It's a warts-and-all-with-extra-warts portrayal of a historical society, and it's got blood, guts, and nudity aplenty. But it's not just exploitation-grade thrills, it's a movie with real substance, see the What I Loved tab for more information on that.

The spoilers in the above tab are pretty light, very little you wouldn't pick up from the trailers or the first 10 minutes of the movie. But there are bigger spoilers from here on in.

Firstly, this is just a gorgeous movie. I'm usually not a huge fan of historical films where everybody dresses in browns and greys and is covered in mud all the time, but most of the film is actually quite nice to look at. It knows when to use saturated colors in key moments, even though most of the film is in a muted palette; the landscapes of Ireland and Iceland are wonderfully photographed and worked into the geography of the scenes. Many indoor sequences do a great job of making you feel like you're in a world where fire is the only source of nighttime light, and a dim, smoky one at that. And some scenes, like Amleth's battle with the barrow-wight or some of the night scenes, actually make good use of a nigh-monochrome color scheme.

I'm not a cinematography buff by any measure, but even I could tell that this movie was masterfully shot and edited. It's replete with these sharp, inhumanly graceful camera movements and intense long takes that build such a palpable intensity. The shots will often add dread, suspense, and even humor by artfully revealing new information, sometimes gradually, sometimes suddenly. This may sound pretentious, but I almost think the camera in this film works kind of like the narrator of a mythic saga, moving dispassionately and all-knowingly across space and time. Editor Louise Ford and cinematographer Jarin Blaschke deserve all the awards.

Wonderful cast, each of whom is bringing something really good to the table. A lot of people are going to be talking about the performances of Anya Taylor-Joy (the hero's lover), Ethan Hawke (the murdered king), Nicole Kidman (the hero's mother), and rightly so, for all of these actors give performances capable of both quiet nuance and mythic bombast. Kidman in particular really gets to show off, and thus I forgive her for the cheesy AMC promo she delivers at the start of the movies these days. You also get Willem Dafoe giving his characteristic 150% in the brief role of a jester and shaman. I think many will undersell the performance of Alexander Skarsgard as the hero Amleth, because his character is mostly drawn in the two colors of grim determination and screaming blood-fury. But he manages to infuse these two emotions with a wonderful sense of raw emotion and vulnerability, as well as warmth in his scenes with Taylor-Joy. That kind of humanity is essential when you have a hero as brutal and harsh as this one. As the film goes on, you also start to get a similarly rich performance out of Fjollir, the villain of the piece played by a Danish actor named Claes Bang.

In terms of the script and story, it's refreshing to get a historical-fantasy film that neither shies away from fantastical weirdness, nor feels the need to couch it in ironic self-aware camp. The film does play around with the reality of some of its more out-there sequences, suggesting some of them to be the result of superstitions and hallucinogens, but it's got such a charge of the otherworldly that you can't help but take the fantasy seriously all the same. It also presents a particularly nasty and unromantic picture of viking life and culture, without ever feeling preachy or moralizing; it very much presents a complex and lived-in world full of supernatural and human dangers. Fans of Robert Eggers' two previous directorial credits, The Lighthouse and The Witch, will feel right at home (in a deeply disturbing way). Hey, I just realized all three of this guy's films have the same title structure!

Like the story Hamlet which draws upon the same mythic source, it's a story that is deeply troubled by its main subject of blood revenge: both the suffering inflicted on those who get caught in the crossfire (usually women and children), and the psychological damage inflicted on the men (and it is always men) who carry it out. How well the film ultimately addresses these problems begins to shade into some of its weaknesses, see below.

On a more animal level, the film has some really excellent action sequences, which are expertly choreographed but still feel messy and brutal. Also, Alexander Skarsgard and Anya Taylor-Joy are two very beautiful human beings, and this movie lets you see... quite a lot of them. :smallwink:

While I enjoyed the film's challenging and thoughtful script, I don't think it actually dealt with its central problem in a particularly satisfying way. In the end, I'm not sure it really made Amleth's choice to pursue his revenge instead of staying with Olga and his children seem like the right one, even though it clearly wants that to seem the case with him receiving dying visions of Valhalla. I've heard the director isn't completely satisfied with the cut of the film that hit theaters, so I'd be really keen to see what got cut. At two hours fifteen minutes, the film feels either slightly too long, or slightly too short.

In terms of historical fidelity (which I try to avoid nitpicking overmuch), it did in places fall into the "medieval people wore grey and were always covered in mud" aesthetic that pervades so many films about the period. But at other times, it has people in well-made, brightly colored outfits appropriate to the period. As far as buildings, weapons, ships, and other props, it mostly seemed attractive to look at, and nothing stuck in my amateur eye as egregiously ahistorical, except for those elements which were more obviously fantastical.

Getting into really small nitpicks here, but I found the title-cards which establish time, location, and chapters to be unnecessary and intrusive. There's plenty of context in the film itself to work out the passage of time and distance without them.

What drew me in to this film was twofold: firstly, discovering that this movie shares a director with 2019's The Lighthouse, which I loved, and some comparisons I saw in reviews with last year's excellent mythic adventure The Green Knight. The comparisons to that latter film are both apt and misleading in different respects.

The Northman definitely bears some comparison to The Green Knight on paper. Both are European fantasy-mythic dramas absolutely drenched in surreal atmosphere and rich imagery. Both of them are gorgeously shot and boast phenomenal casts. Both films occupy similar thematic territory, being tales about men grappling with the brutal demands of their particular culture of warrior-masculinity, albeit of very different kinds. The real difference between the films is in details of tone, performance, and emphasis. The Green Knight was, true to its source material, a mythic morality play. The Northman is an epic saga, and with that comes a greater emphasis on spectacle, action, and playing its fantastical elements much straighter. I think that The Green Knight is overall the stronger, smarter picture, but The Northman is also more animally satisfying and sensually spectacular. I love them both, but they are very different experiences.

Misereor
2022-05-05, 03:12 AM
Don't really have much to say, except I enjoyed your description of the piece.
Thumbs up!

GentlemanVoodoo
2022-05-05, 10:16 AM
Agreed Catullus64. The movie was enjoyable and personally I got my money's worth. It definitely subverts expectations though in this instance in a good way. Was expecting a big viking action movie akin to Conan the Barbarian but instead got a more Shakespearean style of story.

My only real complaint was Nicole Kidman's performance which felt really out of place and perhaps she wasn't the best choice. My most surprised moment was seeing Bjork act, and dang did she nail it!

Clertar
2022-05-05, 11:12 AM
My most surprised moment was seeing Bjork act, and dang did she nail it!

Björk is very talented. If Lars von Trier aligns with your tastes, the classic Dancer in the Dark has an outstandinc Björk.

The Glyphstone
2022-05-05, 11:24 AM
Agreed Catullus64. The movie was enjoyable and personally I got my money's worth. It definitely subverts expectations though in this instance in a good way. Was expecting a big viking action movie akin to Conan the Barbarian but instead got a more Shakespearean style of story.

My only real complaint was Nicole Kidman's performance which felt really out of place and perhaps she wasn't the best choice. My most surprised moment was seeing Bjork act, and dang did she nail it!

From what I've read here, it's basically Viking Hamlet (and may even be the root story that led to Hamlet). So a Shakespearean feel is unsurprising.

The Troubadour
2022-05-06, 07:40 AM
It is, indeed, the story that served as the basis for Hamlet's plot - Shakespeare probably had access to translations of the "Gesta Danorum", and even if he didn't, he at the very least had access to François de Belleforest's adaptation.

Catullus's summary makes me both more and less interested in the movie. "More" because it sounds like a kick-arse action movie in a Norse setting, and I crave those, and "less" because it sounds like the adaptation removed all the nuance and larger implications of the original in favour of a straightforward revenge story. And mind, that's *Saxo Grammaticus* we're talking about here; any nuance and implication found in his writings is more likely than not to have been accidental holdovers from the oral traditions he based himself on rather than from his own mind.

Tvtyrant
2022-05-06, 10:27 AM
It's closer to an edda instead of a Hollywood movie about Vikings, which I honestly didn't think you could get away with. It was not the movie I sat down to watch, but it was the one I kind of hoped someone would make.

Also you can see the damage smartphones are doing to us, the nerd neck on the younger actors compared to the posture of the older actors is real.

Misereor
2022-05-10, 02:24 AM
It is, indeed, the story that served as the basis for Hamlet's plot - Shakespeare probably had access to translations of the "Gesta Danorum", and even if he didn't, he at the very least had access to François de Belleforest's adaptation.

Catullus's summary makes me both more and less interested in the movie. "More" because it sounds like a kick-arse action movie in a Norse setting, and I crave those, and "less" because it sounds like the adaptation removed all the nuance and larger implications of the original in favour of a straightforward revenge story. And mind, that's *Saxo Grammaticus* we're talking about here; any nuance and implication found in his writings is more likely than not to have been accidental holdovers from the oral traditions he based himself on rather than from his own mind.

Haven't seen it yet, but if it takes place in Iceland rather than Old and New Anglia and Scot-/Pictland, I kinda doubt if it's not just another rewrite that isn't all that accurate.
But Gesta Danorum did have a three page speech of Amled justifying the killing of his uncle to the people. I like to think that is where old Shakey's version got his culturally unusual penchant for excessive monologuing from. :)

Say what you will about Saxo, but the was very conscientious though.
When he found two versions of the samy story, he would write down both stories instead of trying to amalgamate them.
Screwed up his line of kings somewhat, but both that and the geography was screwed up long before him, so meh...

The Troubadour
2022-05-12, 05:42 AM
See, I don't mind plot rewrites by default, but I'm concerned that the filmmakers might have turned a story about being clever and relying both on old friends and societal perceptions of what constitutes strength and weakness into an ode to a certain type of masculinity in which pride, stoicism and anger are all equated with strength; that is, that in order to craft a kick-arse Norse action movie, they completely missed the point of the story.

Dragonus45
2022-05-12, 08:54 AM

Oh, it really did not skip on nuance here. I only finally got to see it last Sunday, and I'm not as familiar as the original source material as you seem to be, but it's not just a straight forward action flick.

Tvtyrant
2022-05-12, 10:44 AM
See, I don't mind plot rewrites by default, but I'm concerned that the filmmakers might have turned a story about being clever and relying both on old friends and societal perceptions of what constitutes strength and weakness into an ode to a certain type of masculinity in which pride, stoicism and anger are all equated with strength; that is, that in order to craft a kick-arse Norse action movie, they completely missed the point of the story.

The main character ruins his and everyone around him's lives. I don't see how being an exact copy of his father who his mother explicitly hates is an ode to anything. He helps to enslave his own girlfriend, and abandons her and his kids out of fear that a sheep farmer in Iceland will somehow come kill them.

The Troubadour
2022-05-12, 09:52 PM
Oh, it really did not skip on nuance here. I only finally got to see it last Sunday, and I'm not as familiar as the original source material as you seem to be, but it's not just a straight forward action flick.

Awesome! Will eagerly await for it to be available on streaming, then. Thanks!

And "thanks" for not avoiding spoilers, Tvtyrant. Very considerate of you.

Tvtyrant
2022-05-13, 10:26 AM
Awesome! Will eagerly await for it to be available on streaming, then. Thanks!

And "thanks" for not avoiding spoilers, Tvtyrant. Very considerate of you.

I apologize, I misread your comment and thought you had watched the movie. Deepest mea culpa.

The Troubadour
2022-05-13, 07:22 PM
It's OK. These things happen. :-)

Warlawk
2022-05-14, 10:53 PM
So I sat down with the wife and watched this movie tonight after seeing some positive posts about it here. I can't say I was terribly thrilled by it. The acting and script were just not good enough for it to take itself as seriously as it did. If it had been ~30 minutes shorter and embraced the action a bit more, and just generally had fun with the movie I think I would have enjoyed it a fair bit. I'm not invested enough to nitpick specific things and really dive into it. It wasn't awful by any means, but just not particularly good either.

I don't think I've ever noticed this to any degree in any other movie, but the protagonist's posture absolutely drove me insane throughout the whole movie. Shoulders and arms held in the caricature 'tough guy' pose with his head held down and forward? That was just painful to watch for someone who supposedly knows how to fight. I assume this is what someone above referred to as 'Nerd Neck', but man was it jarring for me. I've never had it stand out in another piece of media (though I don't watch a lot these days) but this really stood out to the point where my wife suggested that maybe he had an injury or disability.

Catullus64
2022-05-15, 08:06 AM
I don't think I've ever noticed this to any degree in any other movie, but the protagonist's posture absolutely drove me insane throughout the whole movie. Shoulders and arms held in the caricature 'tough guy' pose with his head held down and forward? That was just painful to watch for someone who supposedly knows how to fight. I assume this is what someone above referred to as 'Nerd Neck', but man was it jarring for me. I've never had it stand out in another piece of media (though I don't watch a lot these days) but this really stood out to the point where my wife suggested that maybe he had an injury or disability.

I definitely read that posture as deliberate characterization with a few different interpretations. The first is that it's meant to be a more animalistic posture, a reflection of how Amleth, having spent most of his life brooding on revenge (and partaking in literal berserker ceremonies), is for most of the movie more of a beast than a man. Another possibility is that the posture is part of his disguise, a way of averting suspicion by carrying himself like a stooped-over slave. Or maybe it's both. I'm now real keen to rewatch the film and see if there are key moments when he sheds this posture.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it, but I can understand why it wasn't to your taste, even if I think you should give the actors' performances a little more credit.

Tyndmyr
2022-05-16, 09:58 AM
Catullus's summary makes me both more and less interested in the movie. "More" because it sounds like a kick-arse action movie in a Norse setting, and I crave those, and "less" because it sounds like the adaptation removed all the nuance and larger implications of the original in favour of a straightforward revenge story.

Nuance remains, I think. It's not hinted at in the trailer, but it takes the time to build up complexity, and it is not all action, though it certainly doesn't pull punches in the more actiony parts.

I quite liked this film, though I immensely hated Green Knight. I didn't expect it to be great going into it...I admit to being a bit jaded by most fantasy films loving the "rags covered in muck" sort of bleak aesthetic, and that's what I was figured would be the case here. It isn't, though, it's...much more intense. Color is well used, but not overused.