PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit lonely

Jimp
2007-11-25, 07:36 PM
So I'm feeling pretty lonely. Most of my friends from high school have moved on. I have maybe 4 friends in college at the moment, a buddy who I go cruising with on sundays and 2 internet friends.
Any advice on meeting new people?

List of college soceities I have joined:
[spoiler]
Animé&Graphic Novel: I go to the showing every wednesday night and small talk a little beforehand but haven't really made any friends there apart from the 4 I have already.
Drama: I was in charge of music and sound but had to leave because I wasn't good enough at it. The director was nice about it.
Choral: Again I was in charge of music and sound but got kicked out because I wasn't good enough. The director was very mean about it lol.
Gaming: My 4 friends run this soceity and I'm the tresurer of it. Again, I small talk a bit at it but haven't made any real headway.
DJ: Had to leave this one since all the workshops are on during my lunch times so I never get a chance to go to it.
Film: The showings are nearly always on during my lunch time and I'm really not fond of skipping a lecture just to catch the last 30-50 minutes of a film.
Music: The soceity actually does very little. Apparently the guys in charge haven't been doing a great job with it the past 2 years. Hopefully it will pick up the new year.
/[spoiler]

reorith
2007-11-25, 09:48 PM
you should do everything in this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63570)

Serpentine
2007-11-25, 10:10 PM
Joining these groups is about as good a start as you can get. Maybe you should ask a few likely folks to join you for a cuppa or somesuch outside of the groups, to get to know them properly.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-25, 11:45 PM
I know what you feel like.

I found that friends are best met when you don't look for them, though. The guy whose locker is next to yours, the girl who sits next to you on the bus..........

But joining those groups is a good start! Now I'd suggest trying to ask them to go out somewhere outside the group.

Felixaar
2007-11-26, 07:32 AM
you should do everything in this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63570)

For Steve's sake, dont do anything that came out of that thread.

Like Haruki said, best friends are made when you dont mean to make them - if you go looking for friends (or group, if that satisifies my webcomic-reference need) you can seem desperate and clingy. My best idea would be to just enjoy the friends you already have. Do they have other friends? Maybe you could be friends with their other friends. Basically just do things that interest you and involve other people, the groups you joined are a good way to start, when people are involved in group activities your bound to meet atleast one person who isnt a total jerk.

loopy
2007-11-26, 10:38 AM
I know the feeling man. I finished high school and suddenly found that I only had one friend that I still hung out with recently.

I don't know where I picked up my current mates... I think it was at a local net cafe, which is strange, cos none of them are really gamers. You don't try to make friends, they just happen.

SDF
2007-11-26, 12:20 PM
You don't try to make friends, they just happen.

That isn't true, or rather, I wouldn't use it as advice. While waiting around for something to happen can on the off chance work, it is much better to take action and make them work for you.

While I might be considered a "social butterfly,"(That is to say, I generally don't feel too much anxiety, or have a hard time talking to strangers) I make an active effort to go out and do things, and I have a lot of friends to show for it.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-11-26, 12:28 PM
I'm feeling the same way right now... it's not the lack of friends. For me it's more like homesickness with what feels like anxiety disorder (which is weird, I've never had it), and it's killing my sleep pattern... I can't sleep and I don't feel like doing anything the last week or so (as in apathy).

Jimp
2007-11-26, 12:48 PM
*Group hug*

NotAboutBalance
2007-11-26, 07:32 PM
Know your pain. Doing stuff is great, and if you keep it up, something'll happen soon!:smallbiggrin: Just be optimistic!

loopy
2007-11-27, 07:24 AM
And... now I find out that my mate, my best mate, the only friend that I've kept from high school, is moving away. His parents are divorcing :smallfrown: .

Well, there goes my last chance of remaining mentally stable. :P

EDIT: Oh, sorry. Not really my place to co-opt a thread with my own self pity. :smallredface:

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-28, 12:01 PM
And... now I find out that my mate, my best mate, the only friend that I've kept from high school, is moving away. His parents are divorcing :smallfrown: .

Well, there goes my last chance of remaining mentally stable. :P

EDIT: Oh, sorry. Not really my place to co-opt a thread with my own self pity. :smallredface:

Well, you still have the current mates you met in the net café, right?

And @ Jimp: You're doing pretty well, joing the groups and all. I agree you should now make the step of actualy meeting some of those people outside those activities. Going to parties is also a good idea, you can always meet lots of new people there.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-11-28, 03:25 PM
Well, you still have the current mates you met in the net café, right?

And @ Jimp: You're doing pretty well, joing the groups and all. I agree you should now make the step of actualy meeting some of those people outside those activities. Going to parties is also a good idea, you can always meet lots of new people there.

Doubt it.

At the party: "Duudee!!" -"Duude!!" "Okay duudee... lets trade phone #'s, we should hang out sometime"

Next day looking at my cell: "Okay who the *bleep* is John Doe?"

A few days later bumping into John: "Dude... I swear I've seen you somewhere..."

Although this probably only applies to Rez parties where people get really *bleeped* up because they don't need to worry about getting home.