PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kitsune Druid or Shaman

Maat Mons
2022-05-05, 04:29 AM
I may be joining a game in the near future.

The game is 7th level, and the current characters are an Inquisitor, Paladin, Vigilante, and Warpriest. The DM also allowed one of them to take Leadership for a Wizard cohort, but I've been advised the DM is unlikely to allow two characters with Leadership in the same game.

I've also been advised that my character should at least have Good leanings, if not an actual good alignment, to get along with the existing characters. But then again, I've heard the Paladin literally made a pact with Asmodeus, so apparently straying a little from the straight and narrow from time to time will slide.

I'd like to play a full-caster. I'd also like to play a prepared caster, since this DM has backported 5e-style prepared casting to Pathfinder. I'm playing an Arcanist in my current game, so I'd like this new character to be a little different. But not too different. I like using my spells for attacking, controlling, and debuffing.

Arcanist: The class of my current character; want something different
Cleric: Not really feeling this, but maybe if the build leaned away from buffing, healing, and fighting
Druid: I've been looking into this; the Feyspeaker archetype interests me, and it's the reason I started thinking about being a Kitsune
Shaman: I've been looking into this some because I can't find a way to completely lose Wildshape and also have the Feyspeaker archetype on a Druid
Witch: Maybe; but nothing's really jumping out at me right now
Wizard: Too similar to arcanist, my current character

I'm only going to play a Kitsune if my natural form can look like an anime fox girl. If I have to look like a realistic fox/human hybrid, I'll pick a different race. Yes, I know I can turn into a fully-human form. It would still wreck it for me.

I've never been very fond of Animal Companion or Wild Shape, from a thematic perspective. The one thing that really bugs me about Feyspeaker Druid is that it doesn't get rid of Wild Shape, but it alters it so I can't get rid of it with any other archetype. I guess I could ditch the Feyspeaker angle. But an anime girl should be all about Charisma. Halcyon Druid, Supernaturalist, or Elemental Ally look like reasonable ways to get rid of Wild Shape. Or I could stick with Feyspeaker and just never use Wild Shape.

If I instead play a Shaman, I’d want Speaker for the Past, so I don’t have a familiar that can die and cut me off from preparing spells. The various reroll-abilities, souped-up Mage Armor, and free Commune once per day look nice too. I’d maybe add Serendipity Shaman or Visionary as well.

So,
Charismatic Fox Girl (Feyspeaker Druid)?
Kitsune concerned with the Elements (Elemental Ally Druid)?
Fox Spirit who talks with Spirits (Speaker for the Past Shaman)?
Thoughts?

Kurald Galain
2022-05-05, 04:55 AM
I've heard the Paladin literally made a pact with Asmodeus, so apparently straying a little from the straight and narrow from time to time will slide.
In Golarion lore, Asmodeus is very lawful and has cooperated with the good (and lawful good) gods to seal world-destroying abomination Rovagug. In fact, Asmodeus holds the keys to Rovagug's prison, and is trusted with that even by Sarenrae. If there's one evil god you can work with, it's this guy. Of course, he will give you exactly what you asked for and not what you actually want, because he is an evil bastard.

I'd also like to play a prepared caster,
Note that the Feyspeaker druid is not a prepared caster. Of course, you could use wildshape to solely turn into a fox (turning into a fox normally takes a feat for the kitsune).
If you want to be all about charisma, I recommend getting cha to AC (via one level of monk or oracle), and then there's feats that let you apply cha to initiative, to knowledge skills, and to mind-affecting saves. And then, if you stay away from spells that give a saving throw, the druid has plenty of good spells left and doesn't need a very high wisdom.

Halcyon Druid, Supernaturalist, or Elemental Ally look like reasonable ways to get rid of Wild Shape.Also, the nature fang archetype.

Anyway, I'd go with druid because the druid's spell list is better than the shaman's, and because druid-with-no-animal functions better than shaman-with-no-spirit. HTH.

Maat Mons
2022-05-05, 06:54 AM
Feyspeaker Druid isn’t a prepared caster? I don’t have the books, so I just go off of Archive of Nethys or d20pfsrd.org. I’m not seeing anything about changing to spontaneous casting there, though it’s possible I’m just not looking in the right place. If the books say Feyspeakers are spontaneous, and the SRD doesn’t have that info, that’s a very surprising omission.

If I took Nature Fang, would the part of Studied Target that says it adds to the save DCs of Slayer class abilities instead apply to Druid class abilities? Like spellcasting?

Is losing Spirit Animal that big a deal for Shaman? I’d still get Spirit. Admittedly, I’d lose Wandering Spirit and Wandering Hex. That sucks, because I can’t abuse Arcane Enlightenment.

Kurald Galain
2022-05-05, 07:13 AM
Feyspeaker Druid isn’t a prepared caster?
I've doublechecked and yes it is; I was confusing it for some other archetype that switches casting to cha.

If I took Nature Fang, would the part of Studied Target that says it adds to the save DCs of Slayer class abilities instead apply to Druid class abilities?
I hadn't even thought about that. Yes, that should work.

Maat Mons
2022-05-06, 10:27 PM
Now I'm making two characters. One of them is the one I started this thread about. The other one is a backup character for a game I'm currently in. The DM asked us all to have backup characters ready because he thinks we're all going to die soon.

We each get a free 18, and then roll 3d6 (reroll 1s) 5 times.

7th-Level Goody-Two-Shoes Game
18, 15, 14, 11, 10, 9

8th-Level Feywilds Game (Backup)
18, 17, 16, 15, 11, 7

I need another character idea. Still looking for prepared full-casters.

Maat Mons
2022-05-11, 06:10 AM
For a Shaman, what would be a good use of the Kitsune favored class bonus? It lets me grab some Enchantment spell from the Wizard list. Subtracting out the spells I already get at the same or lower level, my options are:

Bungle
Dazzling Blade
Delusional Pride
Hypnotism
Lock Gaze
Moment of Greatness
Unprepared Combatant

Bestow Weapon Proficiency
Bestow Insight: Only on Wizard list for humans? So I don’t get it?
Compassionate Ally
Daze Monster
Delay Pain
Hideous Laughter: I already get Hold Person at this level. Worth it anyway?
Opressive Boredom: Worse than Hold Person and Hideous Laughter?
Qualm
Ricochet Shot
Seducer’s Eyes
Tactical Acumen
Touch of Idiocy
Unnatural Lust

Heroism: Planning to take Speaker for the Past archetype. So I’ll already have it?
Nixie’s Lure
Rage
Reckless Infatuation
Suggestion: Good choice?
Unadulterated Loathing

Aura of the Unremarkable
Charm Monster
Control Summoned Creature
Confusion: Good choice?
Crushing Despair
Daze, Mass
Forgetful Slumber
Geas-Lesser
Malfunction
Malicious Spite
Moonstruck
Overwhelming Grief
Terrible Remorse

Apparant Master
Constricting Coil
Curse of Disguist
Feeblemind: Good choice?
Hold Monster: Good choice?
Mind Fog: Good choice?
Smug Narcissism
Symbol of Sleep

Cloak of Dreams: Good choice?
Envious Urge: Good choice?
Geas: Good choice?
Heroism, Greater: Planning to take Speaker for the Past archetype. So I’ll already have it?
Serenity
Suggestion, Mass: Good choice?
Symbol of Persuasion
Utter Contempt
Vengeful Outrage

Hold Person, Mass: Good choice?
Insanity
Power Word Blind
Symbol of Stunning
Waves of Esctasy

Antipathy
Binding
Charm Monster, Mass: Good choice?
Demand: Good choice?
Euphoric Tranquility: Good choice?
Power Word Stun
Symbol of Insanity
Sympathy

Advice?

Maat Mons
2022-06-06, 04:10 PM
Okay, I think I've got a basic build outline. Please critique.

Kitsune

Standard Racial Traits
Abilities: +2 Dex, +2 Cha Int, and –2 Str
Size: Medium
Type: Humanoid (kitsune, shapechanger)
Speed: 30 ft
Languages: Common (doesn’t exist in DM’s world, gain regional language instead) and Sylvan + Int mod (1) languages (Elven)
Agile: +2 Acrobatics
Change Shape: Can change between human and anthropomorphic fox kitsunemimi forms
Kitsune Magic: +1 DC of enchantment spells
Bite Attack ???
Low-Light Vision

Alternate Racial Traits
Keen Kitsune: Gain +2 Int; lose +2 Cha
Skilled: Gain +1 skill point per level; lose Agile and Kitsune Magic

Abilities

Str: 15 -2 (race) = 13
Dex: 11 +2 (race) = 13
Con: 14
Int: 10 +2 (race) = 12
Wis: 18 +1 (level) = 19
Cha: 9

(The reason for 13 Str is Blood Money. Ignoring a 5,000 gp component costs 11 Str damage. Then ignoring the component of Restoration costs 1 Str damage. Then Restoration takes effect, and I’m back to full.)

Shaman

Serendipity Shaman?

Speaker for the Past
Extra Class Skills: Linguistics, Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Local), Perception, Use Magic Device
Don’t need Spirit Animal to prepare spells
Lose Spirit Animal
Extra Class Spells

Memory Lapse?, Unseen Servant?
?
Heroism?, Sands of Time*
Spiritual Ally, Threefold Aspect?
Permanency?, Telekinesis?
Contingency?, Greater Heroism?
Disintegrate?, Ethereal Jaunt
Temporal Stasis?
Astral Projection, Time Stop?
Gain Revelations from Time and Ancestor Mysteries at levels 4, 6, 12, 14, 20
Lose Wandering Spirit and Wandering Hex

Hexes
2: Arcane Enlightenment (Blood Money)
4: Benefit of Wisdom

Possible Future Hexes: Chant, Evil Eye, Fortune (regular version), Fortune (Serendipity Shaman version), Misfortune, Spirit Magic (from Serendipity Shaman), Witch Hex (Feral Speech)

Revelations
4: Spirit Shield
5: Temporal Celerity (Extra Revelation)
6: Wisdom of the Ancestors
7: Rewind Time (Extra Revelation)

Favored Class Benefits
1: +1 skill point
2: +1 skill point
3: Add Sleep to Shaman list +1 skill point
4: +1 skill point
5: Add Hideous Laughter to Shaman list
6: Add Oppressive Boredom to Shaman list
7: Add Suggestion to Shaman list

Future Spells: 3rd: Heroism; 4th: Confusion, Charm Monster; 5th: Feeblemind, Hold Monster; 6th: Mass Suggestion, Envious Urge, Geas; 7th: Mass Hold Person; 8th: Irresistible Dance, Mass Charm Monster, Euphoric Tranquility, Demand

Feats
1: Eschew Materials
3: Improved Initiative
5: Extra Revelation (Temporal Celerity)
7: Extra Revelation (Rewind Time)

Possible Future Feats: Abundant Revelations (Rewind Time)

Skills
Handle Animal
Perception
Spellcraft
Survival
1 rank in each Knowledge
others?

Equipment
23,500 gp