PDA

View Full Version : Costly Material Spell Focus

Yogibear41
2022-05-05, 07:57 PM
Are there any alternatives to having a particular spell focus for a particular spell?

Say for example I am a high level spellcaster, and I have access to shapechange, which requires a 3000 gp focus to be worn. A savvy enemy might steal or break the focus before I am able to cast my favored spell, what options exist to be able to cast said spell without needing to keep the focus on me?

Endarire
2022-05-05, 08:39 PM
Archangel to make it a SLA. Dweomerkeeper to make it a Su. Ignore Material Components epic feat to possibly do just that.

Biggus
2022-05-05, 10:10 PM
Archangel to make it a SLA. Dweomerkeeper to make it a Su. Ignore Material Components epic feat to possibly do just that.

I'm guessing you mean Archmage for the first one?

Dweomerkeeper works but Ignore Material Components doesn't, it specifically says it doesn't affect focuses.

Maat Mons
2022-05-05, 11:28 PM
A Dragonwrought kobold could use the Embed Spell Focus feat to make it very hard to separate him from his focuses.

The Maho Tsukai PrC has an ability called Blood Component that, despite it's name, also works on focuses.

For the specific case of a divine focus, there's the Worldly Focus feat, Ancestral Speaker Cleric, and an embedded holy symbol body modification.

Endarire
2022-05-06, 08:42 PM
Remember that if you can cast shapechange, you can cast level 9 spells. Ensuring you keep a jade circlet seems easy.

And I meant archmage. I protest auto correct.

Arcanist
2022-05-06, 09:33 PM
I'm guessing you mean Archmage for the first one?

They didn't. (https://youtu.be/zFuMpYTyRjw)