PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Demon Lord Welcome?

Afro_Goblin
2022-05-07, 05:36 PM
HAIL and good day to the GiTP Community, I was curious how welcome other RPG's (especially SoTDL) are to this Forum in general?

It is my intent to find a Forum to post about various topics about SoTDL, and it looks like I'll be encouraged to keep the system to one Thread.

I know GiTP from years back, I generally recall it being the standard of RPG Forum conduct, and people generally being nice. Since it is a forum based on the Old Comic, I also know this is going to be a predominantly a D&D Forum, so I know there likely isn't much traffic on this part of the forum. I was also not sure if I should post on Older D&D/AD&D and Other Systems Sub-Forum, since SoTDL uses a D20, is not a D20-system per-se, it would be rules-stuff, but also that Sub-Forum doesn't seem to get much traffic either.

Grod_The_Giant
2022-05-07, 06:34 PM
I know nothing about Shadow of the Demon Lord (except that it sounds like a cheesy black metal song and I love it), but this is def not a D&d-only forum. I've had plenty of good discussions about Mutants and Masterminds, Fate, Exalted, even Deadlands roundabouts these parts.

Anonymouswizard
2022-05-07, 07:26 PM
It's a primarily D&D forum, and sadly the days of the Warhammer RPG and WoD General threads are long gone. But it's definitely not all we talk about, and sone of us are stubborn enough to regularly bring up other systems.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is, as I understand it, a fantasy heartbreaker, but not particularly close to 3rd, 4th, or 5th edition D&D? Then I think convention puts it in the Other Systems forum, as AGE tends to be placed.

LibraryOgre
2022-05-08, 11:27 AM
The Mod Ogre: There are few hard limits on games we cannot discuss in-depth (don't get started on FATAL, for example). I don't know Shadow of the Demon Lord, but assuming it isn't more-or-less inherently against the rules (i.e. explicit and integral rules on sex, explicit racial stereotypes), then it's fine. Generally, questions and discussion about specific games are either in their edition's D&D subboard or the "Older D&D and Other Systems (https://forums.giantitp.com/forumdisplay.php?60-Older-D-amp-D-AD-amp-D-and-Other-Systems)" sub-board. The general board is more for general questions applicable to RPGs.

oxybe
2022-05-08, 11:18 PM
I'd imagine SotDL should be fine. I have the player's book and my group got a couple of sessions in, it was fun.

For those unaware the core setting, think of it a bit of a kitchen-sink typical D&D one... until the eponymous Demon Lord appeared. And the heroes, whomever they were, lost. Thus the world as a whole is under the Shadow of the Demon Lord (title drop). So it's definitely a bit of a darker and edgier setting, but nothing about how it was presented immediately assaulted my sensibilities, unlike other systems that are better left unmentioned. It's bleak, but the PCs are basically doing the best they can in a bad situation.

System-wise, it's made by Robert Schwalb, one of the 4e D&D guys and the game doesn't shy from that lineage and condenses a lot of it's concepts to it's more fundamental elements. Where 4e would spend 30 levels to explore your class, paragon and divine paths, SotDL cuts it all down to 10 levels. You have your typical Human and Dwarves, but can also choose from Orcs, Goblins and Warforged with serial numbers filed off. power-level wise, you're not a D&D character, or at least not a high-level one, so it doesn't seem to get too crazy, though there are enough options in that main book to fuel many a campaign.