PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Skill challenge in 3.5e

Bobur
2022-05-09, 03:23 AM
Hello everyone

I really like the idea of skill challenges in 4 & 5e. And in particular the slightly refined version from Mat Colville on youtube.

The closest in 3.5e is just the aid option, or greater skill checks (or what it was called) when you have to make the same check multiple times to achieve a goal. But thats not what I want, I like that the skill challenges involve the players and forces them to be creative.

The last option that I also like is from Critical role, where you have a really high DC to do something like remove curse or revival and only by working together in different ways you can bring the DC down to where it is doable.

But I am not entirely sure how skill challenges work in action.
Do I call out a single player and describe the problem to him and he has to role or do I let the players decide who rolls for the current problem?
Now that I write it, the 2nd option sounds more fun.

For 3.5e I think allowing spells should work too, but you have to make a check either way. Basically spellcraft 10+ your spell lv or something like that.

Have you used skill challenges in 3.5e? How do you set them up and work through them?

Kurald Galain
2022-05-09, 03:52 AM
For 3.5e I think allowing spells should work too, but you have to make a check either way.

Players should be able to spend limited resources to get a success without a skill check, because this leads to more creativity and engaging gameplay. Only if the spell or consumable or whatever is applicable to the situation at hand, of course; but don't require skill checks for class abilities that normally don't use a check. In some encounters, donating a substantial amount of money should also be a free success.

Bobur
2022-05-09, 04:46 AM
Players should be able to spend limited resources to get a success without a skill check, because this leads to more creativity and engaging gameplay. Only if the spell or consumable or whatever is applicable to the situation at hand, of course; but don't require skill checks for class abilities that normally don't use a check. In some encounters, donating a substantial amount of money should also be a free success.

Thanks, I will try it like that. If it becomes too easy for the wizard/ cleric to never roll, maybe I add somethig later.