PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Tenebrous Binder, Cleric, Anima Priest = decent levels of rebuking?

redking
2022-05-09, 06:30 AM
Has this been written about anywhere? Tenebrous Vestige -

Turn/Rebuke Undead: You can turn or rebuke undead as a cleric of your effective binder level. As with a cleric, you turn if you are good and rebuke if you are evil. If you are neutral, you choose whether to turn or rebuke upon binding with Tenebrous and cannot later change your mind. If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead from other classes, your levels in those classes stack with your effective binder level for the purpose of determining your turning ability. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

Everyone focuses on the fact that it the rebuking is unlimited every 5 rounds, but no one I can see talks about how high you can get Effective Turning Level with this. Let me see.

Cleric 3, Binder 1 (with Improved Binding), Anima Priest 10, Tenebrous Apostate 5.

The math: 3 from Cleric + 15 from EBL = 18th Effective Turning Level.

Only 1 level of ETL lost. Alternatively, if you don't take any levels of Tenebrous Apostate, you lose no levels of ETL. Tenebrous Apostate also seems ripe for an arcane Dread Necromancer adaption.

Any way to make this even better?

Tzardok
2022-05-09, 06:49 AM
Where's the anima priest from? I didn't hear about it before.

redking
2022-05-09, 06:54 AM
Where's the anima priest from? I didn't hear about it before.

Its an official adaption of Anima Mage from Tome of Magic.

EDIT: There is also this semi-official Vestige from Dungeon Magazine (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2he3y?Stats-for-Tyralandi-Scrimm#9). Pretty neat and similar to Tenebrous Apostate.

pabelfly
2022-05-09, 07:11 AM
Has this been written about anywhere? Tenebrous Vestige -

Everyone focuses on the fact that it the rebuking is unlimited every 5 rounds, but no one I can see talks about how high you can get Effective Turning Level with this. Let me see.

Cleric 3, Binder 1 (with Improved Binding), Anima Priest 10, Tenebrous Apostate 5.

The math: 3 from Cleric + 15 from EBL = 18th Effective Turning Level.

Only 1 level of ETL lost. Alternatively, if you don't take any levels of Tenebrous Apostate, you lose no levels of ETL. Tenebrous Apostate also seems ripe for an arcane Dread Necromancer adaption.

Any way to make this even better?

Depending on how your DM wants to calculate your amount of Turning uses you get per five rounds, you can use it to fuel Devotion feats - Animal, Law
or Travel Devotion stand out specifically but there are other good ones - or you can get more uses of persisted Divine Metamagic.

redking
2022-05-09, 07:24 AM
Depending on how your DM wants to calculate your amount of Turning uses you get per five rounds, you can use it to fuel Devotion feats - Animal, Law
or Travel Devotion stand out specifically but there are other good ones - or you can get more uses of persisted Divine Metamagic.

Interesting.

Special: If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each three daily turn or rebuke uses you expend.

I guess the question is if you have to expend them all at once, or if you can expend three rebukes over time.

pabelfly
2022-05-09, 12:17 PM
Interesting.

I guess the question is if you have to expend them all at once, or if you can expend three rebukes over time.

It would be all at once, but even having a single Turn/Rebuke Undead use every five rounds means you can start using Nightsticks or the Extra Turning feat, or getting cheaper metamagic. It's just a lot easier if you're getting more uses every five rounds.