PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Thoughts on the Illrigger class?

Odessa333
2022-05-09, 02:24 PM
Hey all!

I just learned of this class by Matt Coleville, and I am blown away by it. On paper, it seems very powerful, able to do just about everything with little weakness. Has anyone played the class before? I'd like to know if I've been under a rock to not have heard of this, and what people think of this class. My current group swears it's an official class now, but I can't find anything confirming that, and I didn't even hear of it before this.

BoutsofInsanity
2022-05-09, 02:27 PM
I haven't played with it.

It isn't an official class.

It does look pretty strong. I'd be careful with it, and would be ready with the nerf bat as it's being played.

That's the only way you are going to find out about it truly. Would be to play test it and nerf it as it goes.

Kane0
2022-05-09, 03:51 PM
No its not official. I remember skimming it and figuring it about as good or a little better than the Paladin, but that was a while ago. Chances are it wont break anything catastrophically but be ready to make adjustments as necessary for you and your table.

Speely
2022-05-09, 07:48 PM
I hadn't heard of it before this thread! Skimming through, it seems a bit overtuned at a glance, but fun for an evil-ass evil character.

I probably wouldn't allow it outside of a one-shot, but it does look fantastic for creating an evil league of hellish villains for the PCs to contend with. In fact, I just might do that as a way of learning the class better, so thanks for the thread!

tokek
2022-05-11, 04:52 PM
We have one in a game I've been playing for about 18 months.

Its crazy strong - it makes the martial and half-caster characters look puny by comparison.

It has a load of features and they tend to stack. That character can easily throw a seal on an opponent (BA) gain a free attack from doing so at advantage. Then take their normal two attacks at advantage, then action surge for two more attacks, then consume the seal for bonus damage. All with a 2H heavy weapon which they wield using their Cha score so that frees their ASI to take GWM, PAM, the usual optimal stuff. Truckloads of out of combat stuff too.

The class design has character and every feature feels great. It is clearly written and was playtested for clarity of rules. It was not playtested for balance, that is very obvious.

Sigreid
2022-05-11, 04:58 PM
I've looked at some of his stuff in the past. Near as I can tell his design philosophy is "Screw 11, turn it up to 12!!!!!!!!".

tokek
2022-05-11, 05:03 PM
I've looked at some of his stuff in the past. Near as I can tell his design philosophy is "Screw 11, turn it up to 12!!!!!!!!".

Pretty much my experience of it in play in a nutshell.

No brains
2022-05-11, 08:19 PM
It sounds like I might have my games be illrigger-less irregardless of others' feelings.:smalltongue: