PDA

View Full Version : Can a Ritual recharge a class ability?

Burley
2022-05-10, 07:28 AM
For example, I've got a 6th level Conjuration Wizard. If I use Benign Transposition, I can't use it again until I short rest or cast a conjuration spell of 1st level or higher. But, maybe I'm out of spell slots and I don't have an hour to wait. I only have ten minutes plus six seconds before I desperately need to switch places with my familiar again.

If I use Benign Transposition and then ritual cast Tenser's Floating Disk, would Benign Transposition recharge? Does a spell slot need to be used to recharge the ability?

Willie the Duck
2022-05-10, 07:36 AM
There doesn't seem to be anything excluding that as an option. Casting a ritual spell is casting a spell, and the spell is level 1+. Not quite the same, but people have been using at-will Mage Armor, gotten by taking the Armor of Shadows invocation via the Eldritch Adept feat, to power up their Abjurer's Arcane Wards.

Composer99
2022-05-10, 07:36 AM
The feature doesn't say anything about spell slots so you're good on that score.

A bigger sticking point with respect to Benign Transposition would be the size restriction on creatures you can swap with.

JackPhoenix
2022-05-10, 07:37 AM
Some abilities specifically require you to cast a spell using slot, like Expert Divination. Benign Transposition is not one of those abilities, so it works. You can even recharge it if you cast the spell from a magic item.

Burley
2022-05-10, 08:29 AM
The feature doesn't say anything about spell slots so you're good on that score.

A bigger sticking point with respect to Benign Transposition would be the size restriction on creatures you can swap with.

Ah, I see. Can't swap with my little ratty. I guess I rather foresee using the ability to swap with the barbarian.

Chronos
2022-05-10, 03:13 PM
You can also recharge many such abilities (though again, not Expert Divination) using a high-level wizard's Spell Mastery ability.

RogueJK
2022-05-10, 03:24 PM
There doesn't seem to be anything excluding that as an option. Casting a ritual spell is casting a spell, and the spell is level 1+. Not quite the same, but people have been using at-will Mage Armor, gotten by taking the Armor of Shadows invocation via the Eldritch Adept feat, to power up their Abjurer's Arcane Wards.

But what is the same is the practice of using the Alarm ritual to power up their Abjurer's Arcane Ward.