PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Best "core" 3.5 psionic power to mimic Hadoken?

Arkhios
2022-05-10, 04:44 PM
What would be the best "core" 3.5 psionic power to mimic Hadoken?

tyckspoon
2022-05-10, 05:11 PM
Assuming you mean the Street Fighter staple fireball? It's probably just Energy Missile (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm). Maybe Energy Ray.htm (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyRay.htm) if you want it to be dependent on the user's ability to aim rather than the target's ability to duck out of the way.

Arkhios
2022-05-11, 12:32 AM
Assuming you mean the Street Fighter staple fireball? It's probably just Energy Missile (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm). Maybe Energy Ray.htm (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyRay.htm) if you want it to be dependent on the user's ability to aim rather than the target's ability to duck out of the way.

I really have no preference on whether it mimics the actual hadoken from Street Fighter or kamehameha from Dragon Ball Z (both blasts, or so I've gathered, are essentially the same? To be perfectly honest, I have not had the luxury of watching the whole series of DBZ, as I've only seen a few episodes in total, and I don't recall having ever played Street Fighter — or maybe I have, but it's been at my childhood friends' places because I never had game consoles when growing up, nor do I remember going to game halls, so I have no vivid memories from it)

Conceptually though, the character I'm playing leans more heavily into DBZ for inspiration, based on a very vague idea I have of super saiyans. However, I'm open for new points of view and suggestions, if it proves too difficult to portray a believable super saiyan within 3.5 system.

...on hindsight, the character's (monk/to-be psionic fist) dexterity score isn't too high and their wisdom is set up to be their best score by the time they get powers outside psychic warrior's list, so in that sense energy missile might be the better option.

loky1109
2022-05-11, 01:40 AM
Not power, but feat - Ki Blast from PHB2.

Arkhios
2022-05-11, 02:14 AM
Not power, but feat - Ki Blast from PHB2.

Thanks for the reminder, and I would love to take that instead, but I cannot, because of reasons. :smallsmile:

Gruftzwerg
2022-05-11, 02:31 AM
Conceptually though, the character I'm playing leans more heavily into DBZ for inspiration, based on a very vague idea I have of super saiyans. However, I'm open for new points of view and suggestions, if it proves too difficult to portray a believable super saiyan within 3.5 system.

If that is you aim, I would suggest to play a clawlock build (monk/warlock).

You'll get high Unarmed Strike dmg via the feats Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike. Combine it with the regular Ubercharger feats (Power Attack, Imp. Bull Rush, Shock Trooper) and go for charge multipliers.

Warlock gives you access to Eldritch Blast which is a perfect tool to resemble a Kamehameha (and its variants). Further Fell Flight gives you a fly speed all day long.

Have a look at my clawlock build in my signature. It contains most of the SSJ stuff you are looking for, but is a bit more predator themed. But it should give you an impression of clawlock builds. You can still tailor it to your needs.

At epic lvls you get access to epic warlock feats. There is one that gives you instant teleport at will like Goku has later in DBZ. So there is much potential here to start from.

Arkhios
2022-05-11, 03:01 AM
If that is you aim, I would suggest to play a clawlock build (monk/warlock).

You'll get high Unarmed Strike dmg via the feats Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike. Combine it with the regular Ubercharger feats (Power Attack, Imp. Bull Rush, Shock Trooper) and go for charge multipliers.

Warlock gives you access to Eldritch Blast which is a perfect tool to resemble a Kamehameha (and its variants). Further Fell Flight gives you a fly speed all day long.

Have a look at my clawlock build in my signature. It contains most of the SSJ stuff you are looking for, but is a bit more predator themed. But it should give you an impression of clawlock builds. You can still tailor it to your needs.

At epic lvls you get access to epic warlock feats. There is one that gives you instant teleport at will like Goku has later in DBZ. So there is much potential here to start from.

Thanks for the idea, but going for warlock would not only be a little too late by now, because the character has had their debut session (therefore I cannot make changes, nor do we have the option to retrain), and their ability scores wouldn't support that very well, but also because there are some other factors such as "no can use warlock" :smallbiggrin: ...but this is a good suggestion anyway.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-05-11, 03:15 AM
If you want a much more abridged DBZ experience, try watching TeamFourStar's DBZ Abridged (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub3pgNSL0S4&list=PL2dSWkwaYkhBXT_4mY9AQyFpXWm_LH_Ln). I linked the playlist with both the episodes and the movies, and they're more or less in chronological order of the series. The movies are all very good, but the first few episodes -- the first things they ever did -- are pretty rough, and not all that good, but they quickly get pretty good, then really good, and they continue to get better, right up until the end.

Seriously, it's to the point where the later seasons are considered better than the originals by a lot of people, very professional and well put together. Just the right blend of humor mixed with seriousness when called for -- at least, later on. Just get past the first two episodes, and you can already see significant improvement.

Anyway, they cut out a ton of filler and add their own swing on things, and it turned out fantastic. Much easier to watch a single 5-10 minute episode than 10-20 of the original episodes.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them.

Arkhios
2022-05-11, 03:29 AM
If you want a much more abridged DBZ experience, try watching TeamFourStar's DBZ Abridged (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub3pgNSL0S4&list=PL2dSWkwaYkhBXT_4mY9AQyFpXWm_LH_Ln). I linked the playlist with both the episodes and the movies, and they're more or less in chronological order of the series. The movies are all very good, but the first few episodes -- the first things they ever did -- are pretty rough, and not all that good, but they quickly get pretty good, then really good, and they continue to get better, right up until the end.

Seriously, it's to the point where the later seasons are considered better than the originals by a lot of people, very professional and well put together. Just the right blend of humor mixed with seriousness when called for -- at least, later on. Just get past the first two episodes, and you can already see significant improvement.

Anyway, they cut out a ton of filler and add their own swing on things, and it turned out fantastic. Much easier to watch a single 5-10 minute episode than 10-20 of the original episodes.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy them.

Thanks a lot! I've been meaning to pay myself sick for the DVD's (or Blurays, if they exist); now I don't have to! :elan:

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-05-11, 03:43 AM
Thanks a lot! I've been meaning to pay myself sick for the DVD's (or Blurays, if they exist); now I don't have to! :elan:Do keep in mind that it's not just "DBZ with the filler cut out." They did their own voice acting, wrote their own jokes, and put in their own interpretations of the characters (including rather extreme exaggerations of their personalities). But they get VERY good at it in short order, and it's hilarious. And sometimes heartbreaking, in ways the original aimed for but didn't always hit.

Arkhios
2022-05-11, 04:00 AM
Do keep in mind that it's not just "DBZ with the filler cut out." They did their own voice acting, wrote their own jokes, and put in their own interpretations of the characters (including rather extreme exaggerations of their personalities). But they get VERY good at it in short order, and it's hilarious. And sometimes heartbreaking, in ways the original aimed for but didn't always hit.

Yeah, I figured they did this with a tongue-in-cheek, but it really doesn't matter if the story remains more or less the same :smallbiggrin: Plus, I would say the abilities the characters have are more important than what they have to say to each other, in regards to serving as inspiration for a character :smallsmile:

Nezkrul
2022-05-11, 08:25 AM
OP: Concussive Blast. Big smash of force damage

Troacctid
2022-05-11, 12:40 PM
Hadoken is a ball of fiery energy that blasts from your hand at a single target. That's just energy ray with a slightly different appearance. Energy push has a more accurate visual, but I don't remember Hadoken having much in the way of knockback.