PDA

View Full Version : Can ability recover outside of short/long rests work in 5E?

Jervis
2022-05-12, 08:02 PM
This came out longer than expected so skip to the bottom for a TLDR.

Hello all. First I want to say that I thought about putting this is homebrew design but it’s mostly full of finished and useable work, if you want to skip the preamble then feel free to hop down to paragraph 2. This is more a discussion about design space in 5e for classes with abilities on nonstandard recovery/cooldown. If the mods feel this is better served in homebrew design then i’m sorry for the inconvenience.

This post is somewhat inspired by a old Monk fix by ThinkDM, which it changed Ki from a SR recovery to a smaller pool of resources that partially recovers each round. The result was a class that could do a few different things each round, but if they dipped further into resources they could have a few rounds each combat where they could do more, or forgo some abilities one round to use some more powerful options later. This also needed or changed some of the obvious options (stunning strike) to keep with the greater list of resources. The result was a surprisingly dynamic class that wasn’t particularly overtuned in relation to other classes, baring one reaction with the Kensai subclass and monk weapon synergy that let it outdamage a fighter 5 levels higher. But that wasn’t so much a result of the Ki rebalance and more changes made to monk weapons.

The game as it exists has some examples of this recovery in it already. UA has psionics die, which were mostly just disliked because of their random scaling and recovery instead of their power. The Phantom rogue subclass lets it reflectively recover uses of one of their features by killing things, which the subclass does well anyway so it’s effectively infinite once you get the recovery feature. Likewise a lot of subclasses, creation bard as an example, have started letting us burn a separate resource to use SR or LR recovery abilities. It occurred to me while I was making a homebrew related to battle master that recovered superiority dice under certain circumstances that a lot of classes(monk) or subclasses(4 elements monk) that suck do so because their resources just don’t keep up with play.

Likewise Monk and to a much lesser degree Warlock suffer greatly in groups that don’t stick to the often ignored Adventuring Day, either because everyone else plays classes that rely more on long rests and don’t care to stop for one or because the DM runs 5 minute adventuring days or doesn’t allow short rests because they don’t think about the implications. I’ve encountered all of the above and if we’re being honest we all have if we play in groups with people we don’t know personally. Fact is the difference in resource design between primarily short and primarily long rest classes means the latter is much more likely to suffer in a nonstandard adventuring day. Yes the rules work well but the harder something is to break the better.

So that brings me to the question I’ve been dancing around for this post. Does existing 5e class design lend itself well to having a resource on a nonstandard cooldown? An example might be abilities recovering after X number of rounds, either a set number of a number of rounds determined by dice rolls, much like how some monster abilities are on cooldown. A lot of monsters have abilities that would be too good or obnoxious if eased every round but aren’t worth limited them to 1/2 an encounter. Having them recover after a random or short amount of time makes combat more dynamic on the DMs side and gives players something to think about. Yes players play by different rules than monsters, but would this specific design work poorly in player hands?

The obvious downside to this are out of combat abilities being infinite use, which means that you would still need to keep them locked too rests or make them less impactful for the levels you get them at. However the warlock example I’ve previously given has some precedent for this, having abilities that make utility spells at will. Previous editions of the game had martial initiators, which aren’t the paragon of balance but where general better for the game than casters, which 5e has classes have a decent amount in common with. I understand a lot of the choices regarding rests were made for the sake of simplicity, but I don’t see why a different recovery method is break that design principle. Obviously classes that use different recovery methods would need abilities balanced with this in mind, giving wizards free spell slot recovery and changing nothing else would be a disaster, but making new classes around this sort of recovery could lead to some interesting gameplay. I’d like to heard some thoughts on the possible balance concerns and ideas surrounding this, either abilities recovering after a set number of rounds or just having uses recover when a certain condition is met.

TL;DR: Would 5e break too much with the existence of classes whos primary mechanics had a resource economy the focused more on individual encounters than rests? This of course assumes you don’t classes with too much synergy warlock style that let wizards cast shield at will at level 3 or something.

Dork_Forge
2022-05-12, 08:11 PM
The mechanic already exists with the Second Chance feat, so giving 'encounter powers' from 4E basically wouldn't break anything as long as the abilities themselves aren't OP.

ZRN
2022-05-12, 08:26 PM
I think one of the little secrets of 5e design is that it’s more resilient to bending/breaking than people give it credit for.

On the other hand, adding new mechanics for the sake of newness is a bit counter to 5e design as well. So if you’re going to change things up, make sure you have a good reason for it, and just be ready to play test a bit, and to let the DM change things on the fly if somethign proves boring or overpowered or both.

Jervis
2022-05-12, 08:45 PM
I think one of the little secrets of 5e design is that it’s more resilient to bending/breaking than people give it credit for.

On the other hand, adding new mechanics for the sake of newness is a bit counter to 5e design as well. So if you’re going to change things up, make sure you have a good reason for it, and just be ready to play test a bit, and to let the DM change things on the fly if somethign proves boring or overpowered or both.

true, one of the biggies is that this couldn't be tied to healing. Temp HP would probably be find but infinite out of combat healing is probably a bad idea.

Goobahfish
2022-05-13, 03:16 AM
I personally prefer the 1/encounter model. While it runs into some difficulty for 'extended encounters' (i.e. fights that lead into other fights) it is a better metric I find that the short rest mechanic. Our DM basically allows a short-rest after any serious encounter anyway so it is kind of a defacto 1/encounter abilities. Obviously the game isn't entirely balanced around this but if you are too strict in your rests/encounter you are kind of robbing player agency anyway.

Amnestic
2022-05-13, 03:44 AM
A number of high level abilities do so.

Wizards get some spells they can cast infinitely.
Bards+Monks+Sorcerers get some resource back when initiative is rolled, if they didn't have any.
Druids get infinite wildshape.
Warlocks can have a 1 minute 'short rest'.

Unfortunately many of these will come at a point where the party can pick and choose when they fight even more than usual, owing to having more tools to plan ahead, which hinders their uses somewhat.

Kane0
2022-05-13, 03:59 AM
TL;DR: Would 5e break too much with the existence of classes whos primary mechanics had a resource economy the focused more on individual encounters than rests? This of course assumes you don’t classes with too much synergy warlock style that let wizards cast shield at will at level 3 or something.
Nah, it'll be fine.

Aye.

stoutstien
2022-05-13, 04:17 AM
Plenty of ways resource recovery could be modeled really but you always have to cost of complexity to consider. I'm personally a fan of partial pool recovery that is more frequent so PCs rarely are going into danger completely full or empty.