PDA

View Full Version : what does "extraplanar" interact with?

Dimers
2022-05-13, 05:05 PM
The spelltouched feat Naturalized Denizen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#naturalizedDenizen) makes you never count as "extraplanar" regardless of what plane you're on. So far, I've only found a few things this changes:
immune to dismissal and banishment
immune to the calling version of gate
immune to Khyber trap
immune to the banishment part of blasphemy/dictum/holy word/word of chaos

Is that all? One single non-core effect? As broad as 3.X is, I'd expect there to be something else out there.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-05-13, 05:46 PM
It prevents the subject of a binding (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/binding.htm) spell from being immune to "dismissal, banishment, or a similar effect." So those effects will send them back where they came from.

Dispel water (Sandstorm) can basically act as dismissal against extraplanar [water] creatures.

Planar exchange (Planar Handbook) and the summon monster spells call or summon extraplanar creatures. Oddly, if the creature doesn't have the extraplanar subtype, these won't work on it. So it only pulls creatures off of planes they are not native to. Any such creature that has that feat can't be pulled in by those spells.

Tomb of light (BoED) works on evil extraplanar creatures.

The psionic versions of dismissal and banishment, of course, act as the spells, and so they interact with the subtype like you'd expect.

The blade of light power (Player's Guide to Eberron) functions against extraplanar creatures, as well.

I'm sure there are PrCs (and possibly a base class or two) out there that interact with the [extraplanar] subtype, but none are coming to mind, off-hand.

[edit] Hmm. The divine mind's the planes mantle works on extraplanar creatures.

The jade phoenix mage's emerald immolation dismisses them.

The seeker of the song has a song that banishes them.

The sybil contacts extraplanar creatures with its koan ability.

Dimers
2022-05-13, 08:58 PM
Thanks!

I missed tomb of light in my list because I was originally thinking about this for a particular character whose alignment makes him immune anyway. Hadn't even heard of blade of light or the Sybil, but I feel a little silly missing the divine mind's mantle. (Only a little, though. Divine mind is kinda crap.)

redking
2022-05-13, 10:36 PM
Naturalized Denizen [spelltouched]
You are unusually anchored to your location.

Prerequisite
Exposure to dimensional anchor spell.

Benefit
You are never treated as an extraplanar creature (and you lose the extraplanar subtype). Thus, you can't be affected by a banishment or dismissal spell or similar effects that send extraplanar creatures back to their home planes.

I don't think naturalized denizen counts for preventing planar binding. Outsiders can be subject to planar binding, but merely being extraplanar does not make you subject to it. So a naturalized denizen is called to the Prime Material plane, but does not get the extraplanar subtype. I don't see why it should affect planar binding at all.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-05-13, 10:52 PM
I don't think naturalized denizen counts for preventing planar binding. Outsiders can be subject to planar binding, but merely being extraplanar does not make you subject to it. So a naturalized denizen is called to the Prime Material plane, but does not get the extraplanar subtype. I don't see why it should affect planar binding at all.You are correct. But nobody said anything about planar binding and its derivatives.

St Fan
2022-05-14, 02:59 AM
You also don't sustain extra damage from a Starmetal weapon while on the Prime Material Plane.