PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Christmas gifts vs a single big present

Quertus
2022-05-13, 08:12 PM
Some people complain about Christmas, about characters decked out in more magical bling than most fiction they’re used to thinking in terms of.

Some people complain about characters focusing more than a small fraction of their wealth into a single item, feeling that this is unrealistic, or breaks the rules.

But it’s not trivial to have it both ways (or, perhaps more accurately, to not have one or the other, if not both).

So my question is primarily a simple poll: which do people prefer? Which do people hate more? Is it conditional; ie, does it vary by system or setting?

If, in session 0, someone asked, “Christmas or big items”, which would you choose? Why?

Jay R
2022-05-13, 08:41 PM
I can enjoy having lots of items.
I can enjoy having a great single special items.
I can enjoy having very little magic available.
I can enjoy games with no magic at all.

In all cases, a good GM can do it well, and in all cases, a poor GM can do it poorly.

The essential thing is to make sure the PCs have enough power and options that they can overcome the challenges, but not enough that it's obvious that they will overcome the challenges.

Pauly
2022-05-14, 04:25 AM
If I wanted to play an inventory management game I’d play Settlers if Cataan.

Put me in the one big present list. Keeping track of many different items with many different abilities is a chore for me.

Dimers
2022-05-14, 06:45 AM
I like generalists, regardless of the setting or system -- because even though I like to synergize with other PCs, I don't want to be dependent on them for survival. It strains my immersion to think that a party would want someone who can't take care of herself. (And of course if there's no party, you'd better be able to handle everything yourself!) So I try to have good mobility, good senses, good offense and defense, good social ability, good understanding of the gameworld, at least a little self-healing, et cetera. Lots of small gifts is the way to go for me.

Anonymouswizard
2022-05-14, 06:48 AM
I like being able to fill out my carrying capacity with a ton of items. However I have no desire to have even a single magic item.

If I'm a wizard I don't want to be carrying around six wands. I want a tome or e-reader, a decent pen and notebook, chalk, some kind of knife*, salt, incense, matches, waterproof matches, iron filings, and various other odds and ends.

Will I take a magic item if it suits my needs? Yes, but it's less enjoyable than writing down 10kg worth of odds and ends I keep in my satchel.

* Actually the character who had all of this was afraid of blades, had to make self control rolls to even hold it.

Pex
2022-05-14, 10:56 AM
I tend to prefer lots of little gifts because there is joy in the receiving. What the gifts are matters, but that they existed at all is the fun part. The downside is being given too much too soon and/or too often. The problem isn't even becoming too powerful. The problem is in having too many you can't use them all. You gravitate to the more powerful/useful ones, yet the others left behind are still cool to use but you don't get the fun of using them because they are made obsolete.

The single big present is also cool. It's a defining feature and helps you feel bada$$. The downside is not receiving any more presents. It's fun and great to play, but not getting anything for the effort takes away the sense of accomplishment. A pat on the back from NPCs for a job well done is all good, but not every PC is in it for the virtue and even playing such a character of virtue the player is looking for more than just thanks.

The also not so perfect solution is to have both. Run the game accumulating a small number of gift along the way, then at some point but still far from the campaign finale get your big present. You still have your other presents to play with, and you have your big toy. Another gift here and there after is fine, but the player has already moved on to Boxing Day fully engrossed in the campaign plot to defeat the Ultimate BBEG. New Year's Eve is the penultimate, perhaps getting his greatest wish of legendary proportions then New Year's Day arrives, face the Ultimate BBEG and save the world.

False God
2022-05-15, 07:52 AM
My answer would be "relevant items", so I guess that falls under "single big present".

I like to get, and give as DM, items that are relevant to the game as a whole and to the characters at play. I've no real interest in items that will sit around in my bag, or be hocked at the nearest merchant. That's what IMO more generic non-equipment "loot" is good for, old gold coins, statues, etc... I still like to think of my characters as the kind of folks who will carry only what they need and very little else.

And I feel sad, both as the DM and for the DM, when something interesting "drops" but noone has any real use or want for it. Yes the helm made of pure emerald is cool and all, but we don't really have anyone who likes emerald or anyone who needs it. If the item is some sort of McGuffin thats fine too of course, we're expected to keep it around until we reunite it with the Emerald Armor or whatever and bring the Green Knight back to life.

I like to put effort into the items I give out to players, something that will be fitting for someone or something.

Kane0
2022-05-15, 07:26 PM
I would generally choose Christmas if given the option, I like having a bundle of questionably useful things i can sort through and pull out for that one time it seems applicable rather than one signature hammer that gets applied to all things that look like nails.

Edit: but if its just a sack full of minor passive benefits or wastes of my turn then id pick the one cool thing and try to get creative with it.

Eldan
2022-05-16, 02:36 AM
I always took the Christmas Tree Effect as mainly being about useless ornaments that just look pretty. I.e. all the +4 stat items you just had to have at the mid levels in 3.5 to compete. Things that just make your numbers bigger because you are expected to have bigger numbers at higher levels.

I don't really care what the number of magic items is, but I want them to be interesting. Having them should change the story in some way.

Anonymouswizard
2022-05-16, 03:34 AM
I always took the Christmas Tree Effect as mainly being about useless ornaments that just look pretty. I.e. all the +4 stat items you just had to have at the mid levels in 3.5 to compete. Things that just make your numbers bigger because you are expected to have bigger numbers at higher levels.

I don't really care what the number of magic items is, but I want them to be interesting. Having them should change the story in some way.

Heck, sometimes even a character's big stat boosting item isn't the most interesting one that they have. Every high level fighter has a +5 sword, so it's more interesting if you also have a Coat of Many Pockets or a Ring of Fire Suppression.

LecternOfJasper
2022-05-16, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I'll +1 the Christmas tree, as long as the things I have are situationally useful and not just passive number bonuses. I like having a tool belt and being Batman.

Easy e
2022-05-17, 02:37 PM
I guess I prefer one thing, over a bunch of little things. Something I can use frequently, as opposed to a bunch of things I lug around and forget to use all the time.

I have to admit, my characters are rarely motivated by loot. They will leave that for others, unless there is something particularly relevant to them or the campaign.

Raunchel
2022-05-18, 03:14 AM
I like items to be meaningful, so they shouldn't just provide a number or something like that. They should open up new options for characters, in whichever way fits them best. That can mean a magical axe that returns after throwing, it can mean a pouch that creates smoke, or anything really. Just not 'and this ring gives me a bit of extra armour, and this sword makes me hit harder' because those don't really give options or the like. They don't feed creativity.

Stonehead
2022-05-18, 12:44 PM
If I wanted to play an inventory management game I’d play Settlers if Cataan.

Put me in the one big present list. Keeping track of many different items with many different abilities is a chore for me.

I like Catan, so throw me into the Christmas list. :smallwink:

More seriously, I like looking over my character's inventory and reminiscing over all of the different places they've been. Only somewhat related to the question, but I also usually prefer finding items to be used, rather than gold or items to be sold. Using the sword I found in the necromancer's lair is more fun than using the sword I bought at the magic shop.