PDA

View Full Version : Help finishing this L20 barbarian for a fun 1shot/Mini campaighn

Jgosse
2022-05-14, 05:10 PM
I don't want advise on how to build something else just looking for help finishing this build . Tried posting on redit and the only res ponces I got were from people saying "this is how I would do it , ignoring the questions I ask after the build details and just posting completely different builds.

I am taking part in a balls to the wall **** it lets have fun mini campaign/1 shot.

I am not going for a broken character but I am trying to make some good choices don't want to fully waste anything.

We are level 20 Free bonus starting feat and free dragon mark feat I am choosing aberrant.

I have chosen an out lander, warforge totem barbarian going bear tiger and eagle. we are rolling stats I rolled 16/15/15/14/13/13
Str 16/Dex 13/Con 15/Int 13/Wis/15/Cha14 STR +1 warforge and +1 Tavern brawler / CON +2 Warforge +1 Aberrant Dragon mark. starting me at 18/13/18/13/15/14

We get 4 uncommon /3 rare / 2 very rare or 1 legendary + a free custom item/weapon. For my custom I have the shifters axe a +3 axe that as a free action can shift between hand-axe, battle axe or great axe.

I have been given permission to have an Item of increased dex modeled after the amulet of health.

Skills Acrobatics /Athletics/Nature/perception/Stealth/Survival. I have 1 more from WF debating Insight or performance.

for Aberrant dragon mark I was randomly rolled , Boon of Undetectability

You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks, and you can't be detected or targeted by divination magic, including scrying sensors.

I will grab fire bolt for my cantrip, no idea what 1st level spell I will get.Suggestions ?

I think that is all info you guys may need.

so some questions.

I have 5 ASI/feat slots should I bump con and Str to 20 to get the 24 ? Is Resilient (Wis) worth it to get a +8 wisdom save vs my current +2 and not worry about getting compelled/taken over. I am thinking of garbing Eldritch Adept for Devil site.

Also thinking Alert, fighting style initiate, and Great weapon mastery?

What 1st level sorcerer spell should I grab for Aberrant Dragon mark?

What magic item is my best bet to boost defense?

RogueJK
2022-05-14, 05:27 PM
should I bump con and Str to 20 to get the 24 ?

Definitely yes.

Is Resilient (Wis) worth it to get a +8 wisdom save vs my current +2 and not worry about getting compelled/taken over.

Definitely yes. You're going to be very hard to kill with a hefty damage output... You really don't want to be turned against your own party to unleash multiple Raging Reckless Great Weapon Master Brutal Criticals on your friends. (With GWM and 24 STR, you'd be looking at 1d12+24 damage on each +3 Greataxe hit while Raging, plus another +4d12 added on a critical hit that you're twice as likely to roll thanks to at-will Advantage.)

Also thinking Alert, fighting style initiate, and Great weapon mastery?

Great Weapon Master is a must-have for you. Reckless Attack's at-will Advantage, the +3 magic greataxe, and your 24 STR all serve to offset the -5 penalty, and +10 is a big damage boost even at Level 20. Plus, it gives you a frequent use for your otherwise unused Bonus Actions.

So the question comes down to which one of the other two are you going to spend your 5th ASI on?

Alert pairs well with Feral Instinct's Initiative Advantage and your magically boosted DEX, to ensure that you usually go first. But the "can't be surprised" portion is a little redundant with Feral Instincts' similar capability.

Fighting Initiate would mostly be useful for Blind Fighting Style, but I think you have that covered elsewhere. Unseen enemies don't get Advantage if you have the Alert feat anyway. And if you need to be able to hit a nearby unseen enemy, you can always just Reckless Attack to make straight rolls.

So I'd go 20 STR, 20 CON, Resilient WIS (16 WIS), GWM, and Alert.

What 1st level sorcerer spell should I grab for Aberrant Dragon mark?

Well, it's usable once per rest. And Barbarians can't cast spells or Concentrate on spells while Raging. So you're looking at a non-Concentration buff or a utility spell... There aren't really any great options for Rage-friendly buffs in the Sorcerer 1st level spell list for you, since the usual suspects of Shield/Absorb Elements/Silvery Barbs aren't an option because you can't cast them while Raging (which you'll be doing all combat long), your Unarmored Defense greatly outclasses Mage Armor, and at Level 20 the extra 5-8 Temp HP from False Life isn't very useful at all.

Therefore, I'd probably go with the out of combat utility of Disguise Self or Fog Cloud, either of which could pair well with your Stealth boon for infiltration purposes.

With Fog Cloud, you have a means to generate obscurement in which you can Hide and take greater advantage of your high Stealth.

With Disguise Self, you can sneak when you want to, and can appear like you belong with a magical disguise other times. If you go this route, I'd take Deception as your final skill selection, which paired with your moderate CHA means you'll be able to really sell the disguise.

Pyrophilios
2022-05-14, 05:36 PM
For the spell take Fog Clouds - it's useful even at high levels - especially if you take the blind fighting style to mitigate reckless attack.

Incidentally, an eversmoking bottle as an item has the same effect and prevents quite a few spells being cast on you.

RogueJK
2022-05-14, 05:43 PM
For the spell take Fog Clouds - it's useful even at high levels - especially if you take the blind fighting style to mitigate reckless attack.

Except that he'd lose Concentration as soon as he Rages, which he's certainly going to be doing during every combat. So Fog Cloud would be relegated to an out of combat obscurement option.

The_Jette
2022-05-14, 06:06 PM
Disguise Self would be a fun one that nobody would see coming. It would be entirely useful outside of combat, obviously. Running from, or after someone? Duck around a corner and cast the spell. Someone chasing after you will lose you. Whoever you're chasing will think they lost you. And, nobody expects a Barbarian to be casting spells in the first place. So, you'll have the advantage on them.

ender241
2022-05-14, 06:24 PM
Do you know what the rest of your party looks like? It might help to know that so you can potentially fill in gaps with feat/spell selection.

Foxydono
2022-05-14, 06:43 PM
Definitely yes.

Definitely yes. You're going to be very hard to kill with a hefty damage output... You really don't want to be turned against your own party to unleash multiple Raging Reckless Great Weapon Master Brutal Criticals on your friends. (With GWM and 24 STR, you'd be looking at 1d12+24 damage on each +3 Greataxe hit while Raging, plus another +4d12 added on a critical hit that you're twice as likely to roll thanks to at-will Advantage.)

Great Weapon Master is a must-have for you. Reckless Attack's at-will Advantage, the +3 magic greataxe, and your 24 STR all serve to offset the -5 penalty, and +10 is a big damage boost even at Level 20.

So the question comes down to which one of the other two are you going to spend your 5th ASI on?

Alert pairs well with Feral Instinct's Initiative Advantage and your magically boosted DEX, to ensure that you usually go first. But the "can't be surprised" portion is a little redundant with Feral Instincts' similar capability.

Fighting Initiate would mostly be useful for Blind Fighting Style, but I think you have that covered elsewhere. Unseen enemies don't get Advantage if you have the Alert feat anyway. And if you need to be able to hit a nearby unseen enemy, you can always just Reckless Attack to make straight rolls.

Well, it's usable once per rest. And Barbarians can't cast spells or Concentrate on spells while Raging. So you're looking at a non-Concentration buff or a utility spell... There aren't really any great options for Rage-friendly buffs in the Sorcerer 1st level spell list for you, since the usual suspects of Shield/Absorb Elements/Silvery Barbs aren't an option because you can't cast them while Raging (which you'll be doing all combat long), your Unarmored Defense greatly outclasses Mage Armor, and at Level 20 the extra 5-8 Temp HP from False Life isn't very useful at all.

Therefore, I'd probably go with the out of combat utility of Disguise Self or Fog Cloud, either of which could pair well with your Stealth boon for infiltration purposes.

With Fog Cloud, you have a means to generate obscurement in which you can Hide and take greater advantage of your high Stealth.

With Disguise Self, you can sneak when you want to, and can appear like you belong with a magical disguise other times. If you go this route, I'd take Deception as your final skill selection, which paired with your moderate CHA means you'll be able to really sell the disguise.
I agree with all this, although i prefer lucky above alert. As for a magical item you have a few options. Cloak of invisibility is awesome, but at that level most monsters have true sight. The other option is scarab of protection. If you are fighting powerful undead, take it without a second thought.

The other good option is a dragon mask. More AC, legendary saves, resistance and maybe even immunity, whats not to like!

Edit: you cant go wrong with a rod of security either.

Jgosse
2022-05-14, 07:34 PM
Definitely yes.

Great Weapon Master is a must-have for you. Reckless Attack's at-will Advantage, the +3 magic greataxe, and your 24 STR all serve to offset the -5 penalty, and +10 is a big damage boost even at Level 20.

Thank you this is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. With some great feedback reinforcement of things I already thought.

Jgosse
2022-05-14, 07:51 PM
Do you know what the rest of your party looks like? It might help to know that so you can potentially fill in gaps with feat/spell selection.

We have a paladin of glory, circle of fire druid, Assassin Rogue, and a forge cleric. if I recall. but I am checking.

ender241
2022-05-14, 08:22 PM
We have a paladin,fire druid, Assassin Rogue, and a forge cleric. if I recall. but I am checking.

I like the Disguise Self idea as well for the spell then. Charm Person or Silent Image could be other good out of combat options.

Jgosse
2022-05-14, 08:58 PM
I think I will go with disguise self.