PDA

View Full Version : Immortal [PrC]

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 09:28 AM
The Immortal

this highly trained fighter is a guardian, used to block the enemy at his tracks and forbid him from advancing, while not as destructive as other classes, the immortal, like their name suggests, are nearly impossible to kill, as they can take anything you throw at them.

REQUIREMENTS

Base Attack Bonus: +4
Feats: Endurance, Diehard, Combat Expertise.
Proficiency: Heavy armor, Tower Shields.

Hit Die d12

Skills: 4+Int for level.
Class skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Gather Information, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Use Rope.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Deathpoint

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Fast Healing|-10

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Fearless +2|-15

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1|Solid Stand|-15

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Fearless +4|-20

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Regrow Limbs|-20

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+2|Force March|-25

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|True Fearless|-25

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+2|Magical Shunt|-30

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+3|Deathless|-30

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+3|Self Resurrection|-35[/table]

Deathpoint:
The Immortal can take hits harder then others would consider deadly and survive, deathpoint represent how many hitpoint does the immortal need to drop to before he truly dies (instead of the normal -10)

Fast Healing: (Ex)
Each round, an Immortal heals damage equal to his immortal class level.

Fearless
A second level Immortal gains a +2 moral bonus versus fear effects. this bonus increases to +4 at level 4. at level 7 the Immortal is completely immune to fear effect.

Solid Stand:
A third level Immortal gains +3 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Regrow Limbs: (Ex)
Starting in 5th level, an Immortal can regrow lost limbs in 3d6 hours. only one limb can be regrown at a time, so if several are lost the immortal needs to grow them one by one. (he can choose the order.)

Force March:
A 6th level Immortal can make a force march special attack.
As a full round action, if wielding a tower shield, he may advance in half speed in one direction, pushing away anything in a square he enters one square to the direction of the march, provoking no attacks of opportunity. each creature pushed by this is considered to be struck by a heavy shield bash. (multiple pushed on the same creature are doing several attacks.)

Magical Shunt: (Su)
Starting from 8th level every spell cast upon the Immortal have a chance to fail equal to the Immortal's class level. this include both friendly and hostile spells.
The immortal can take a concentration check (DC= 20+immortal class level) to remove it for 1 round, this check takes a full round.

Deathless: (Ex)
When an effect is to take the 9th level Immortal to 0 hit points or lower (for example, massive damage or a death spell) instead the Immortal is lowered to 1 hit point, and the original effect is canceled.
This ability can trigger only once every day for every six levels of Immortal. (so a level twelve immortal will trigger it twice.)

Self Resurrection: (Su)
A 10th level Immortal can resurrect himself if all of these conditions are met:
-His body has not been disintegrated or devoured.
-His soul is not trapped or destroyed.
-He is dead for no more then a week.
-He has not self-resurrected himself in a week.
The resurrection take immediate effect and the immortal returns to life with 10 hit points.

Adumbration
2007-11-26, 09:54 AM
You know... I actually like the consept very much.

"Why" hack "can't" slash "you" squishy sound "die!!!!"

I can so imagine it during a TPK.

The_Gleeman
2007-11-26, 09:57 AM
I enjoy the idea of the class. It's well thought out, but I find it to be a bit powerful what with the Deathpoint and Fast Healing Ability. To calm it down a bit I would suggest Deathpoint increasing by 5 points every three level to a total of -30(which still might be too high), and the fast healing I would suggest to be usable once a day maybe increasing throughout the level progression. Or change the fast healing to Con mod or Cha mod. Other than that I enjoy the PrC and might use it in one of my games if you don't mind.

Kraggi
2007-11-26, 09:58 AM
I see black knight esque villains in your future.

Xefas
2007-11-26, 10:41 AM
You're missing skill points per level, and a list of class skills.

Also, I'm pretty sure most prestige classes are suppose to be designed to be entered by 6th level, whereas this one seems to be designed for entry at 5th level.

Anyway, balance wise, even with a possible Fast Healing 10, it looks fine as is. The concept is cool and all, and so is not dieing, but I think you'll find that eventually the class would become rather useless and a drag for the party as a whole unless you gave it skill-monkey prowess. The thing is, the character who plays this doesn't die, sure, but he also doesn't contribute. The party doesn't need a guy who never dies and but can't accomplish anything. Heck, you're liable to be out-damaged by a straight fighter and that's saying something.

Maybe give them a (6 + intelligence mod) skill point deal, so they have some other way of contributing besides standing there not dieing.

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 11:53 AM
Well. the Immortal function best in armies (a phalanx of these guys is improbable to get by anytime soon.) where not everyone can be a high-powerful sorcerer/wizard, and nobody thinks of way to abuse feats. and then they are quite a problem to get by, and provide a sacry force to handle. (well. you can get in at level 5. so level 9 battalion of them means they are level 5 Immortals. nightmare military group.)

In party's he is the security guard. making sure nobody GETS to the casters while they rain evocation (and others) on the field. and they can clear paths with the forced march (works best on narrow corridors or bridges.)

Skills, I keep forgetting to put that up on every class I make. fixing now.
Not much of a skill monkey, but has a handful of skills. most are physical work, but sense motive, listen/search/spot and intimidate/gather information are handy to have and heal is good to have if you are in low-magic setting.. he also have a not-too-bad amout of skillpoint for level.

besides, think epic levels. even greater deathpoint and fast healing, this might turn to bee too much in the super-high levels. (say, level 25 Immortal. fast healing 25. deathpoint -70. silly powerful. and with that high hit die, even your wizard will find it troublesome to defeat him. ever.)

In some way, he is anti-caster. because they might run out of spells before he runs out of hitpoints.

I am afraid of turning it higher, and making it too good.

Adumbration
2007-11-26, 11:57 AM
Maybe you could add a few skills that took advantage of the Immortal's physical endurance? Say, you break a door without caring for your own health, +something to check and minus a few hitpoints?

Kaelaroth
2007-11-26, 12:57 PM
I like this. I like this a lot. :smallamused:

Evil Blackguards who just won't die. That bard who keeps coming back. That short, hairy monk, with claws that come out of his knuckles, who cannot be killed even by a cosmic being who was ruined in the third film. :smalltongue:

I like it a lot.

Xefas
2007-11-26, 01:40 PM
Well. the Immortal function best in armies (a phalanx of these guys is improbable to get by anytime soon.) where not everyone can be a high-powerful sorcerer/wizard, and nobody thinks of way to abuse feats. and then they are quite a problem to get by, and provide a sacry force to handle. (well. you can get in at level 5. so level 9 battalion of them means they are level 5 Immortals. nightmare military group.)

Ah, right, so they're powerful when fielded in mass quantities. That just brings the running count up to All Classes + Immortals now.

In party's he is the security guard. making sure nobody GETS to the casters while they rain evocation (and others) on the field. and they can clear paths with the forced march (works best on narrow corridors or bridges.)

Yes, lets just hope the entire campaign is based around monsters who are too stupid to sidestep the guy in full armor who regenerates like mad, who are all inexplicably placed in chokepoints favourable to the party, and have no alternative means of movement.

besides, think epic levels. even greater deathpoint and fast healing, this might turn to bee too much in the super-high levels. (say, level 25 Immortal. fast healing 25. deathpoint -70. silly powerful. and with that high hit die, even your wizard will find it troublesome to defeat him. ever.)

You're absolutely right. The wizard who has access to epic spells capable of ending whatever planet they happen to be on will assuredly quake in fear of that fast healing.

In some way, he is anti-caster. because they might run out of spells before he runs out of hitpoints.

Actually, that just makes him the anti-purposefully-handicapped-caster. All a caster has to do is chuck a single will-based save-or-lose your way, and that's the end.

-------

The idea is cool, but within the context of a D&D adventure, being really hard to kill via hit point damage and nothing else isn't very useful. At best, you'll be the last party member standing, and so when the monsters have looted your friends' corpses and walked away ignoring you because you're still only doing pinpricks of damage, and they're too frustrated to bother finishing you off, then you can write everyone's epitaph.

At worst, they had a caster or scroll of <insert will-save spell here> and you're dead too.

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 02:21 PM
Anti-magic items.
Owned?

The point is, Immortals, has they have very simple requirements, can be trained in masses. they are not hard to be trained in betalions, jest grab a group of low-level fighters with 13 Int (or 12, you can make them improve it at level 4.) and send them into factory-like training camps.

Casters on the other hand, much harder to find them in masses, as they need high ability scores to be effective.

Besides, you are overlooking some possible fighting methods used with multiple Immortals.

Shove your enemies. all the way. into a pit, cliff, wall etc. using the forced march.

Block roads with nigh-unkillable soldiers.

Make a party of them. virtually unbeatable if they keep striking down casters first.

Build a food factory for cannibals....

all sorts of thing.

Alex12
2007-11-26, 03:06 PM
Maybe you should also give them something like the Stand Still feat (it's in the SRD under Psionic Feats, but it's a General feat)
It seems like it fits with the flavor and intent of the class.

Xefas
2007-11-26, 03:17 PM
Anti-magic items.
Owned?

So, now, not only must they be used in overwhelming numbers, but the class also requires the use of high level magic items to be effective? These don't seem like flaws to you?

Not to mention that covered with an anti-magic field, a caster can just fly over them.

The point is, Immortals, has they have very simple requirements, can be trained in masses. they are not hard to be trained in betalions, jest grab a group of low-level fighters with 13 Int (or 12, you can make them improve it at level 4.) and send them into factory-like training camps.

Casters on the other hand, much harder to find them in masses, as they need high ability scores to be effective.

Right, so after you've trained them en mass, and emptied the coffers of your entire nation to outfit them in anti-magic items which you've said they need, then they have a "point".

Not that this has any baring on an actual campaign, where they'll be used in an adventuring party.

Besides, you are overlooking some possible fighting methods used with multiple Immortals.

Shove your enemies. all the way. into a pit, cliff, wall etc. using the forced march.

Its a good thing all your enemies are standing exactly 15 feet away from a pit or cliff, are idiots, can't make overrun attacks, and have no other means of travel even though they're being pitted against lvl 12 minimum characters.

Block roads with nigh-unkillable soldiers.

You know what else is unkillable and blocks roads? Walls. People seem to find ways around those pretty easily. You never hear an adventuring party exclaim "Oh no, there's a stationary, non-threatening target blocking off that small section of space. Retreat!"

Make a party of them. virtually unbeatable if they keep striking down casters first.

Lets just hope none of those casters have Fly, because that would render your entire party almost entirely useless.

Build a food factory for cannibals....

What?

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 04:04 PM
Well...they can regrow limbs...

About the blocking thing-walls don't strike back. or follow you. or try to push you off a cliff. or such things.

And 15 feet from a cliff is dumb? well. not if there is no other way.
Castles build on mountains can use them as a fearsome defense.

Anyway, I never said that they are perfect. But they are very good.
In warfare they provide great tactical advantage.

And being overshaded by casters at high levels does not count.
Every melee combat class is overshaded by casters due to the way the system is built.

Xefas
2007-11-26, 04:12 PM
And being overshaded by casters at high levels does not count.
Every melee combat class is overshaded by casters due to the way the system is built.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm saying. By 10th level, full casters are the undisputed masters of the game power-wise, and quite possibly long before, so don't worry about overpowering this class in its later levels by giving it a few abilities that will make it more fun, interesting, and useful.

Maybe give it some sort of ability that intercepts attacks, or forces opponents to choose them as a target over others. Really, anything that has some utility that helps the party as a whole rather than them as an individual, because very few games out there feature only one player.

Its okay if a class can't stand up to another class in direct combat, so long as they're able to contribute meaningfully.

Sol
2007-11-26, 04:19 PM
Anyway, I never said that they are perfect. But they are very good.
In warfare they provide great tactical advantage.

Sure...they provide tactical advantage in warfare.

But they don't provide tactical advantage in an adventuring party.

They need some sort of taunting ability that causes enemies to focus on them as opposed to killing the squishies.

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 04:21 PM
Right.

So...maybe I'll move Forced march to level 6 (instead of the improved solid stand) and make 2 new battle move in level 8 and 9 (replacing solid stand again)

Innis Cabal
2007-11-26, 05:00 PM
someone has been wacthing 300 a good deal i see

on the class itself.......it really dosnt look over powered...id even call it a bit weak, even if they cant die in single numbers or even small groups...they wouldnt be hard to pick off...lots of ways to disable rather then kill

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 05:07 PM
True. but disabling can be outdone.

And to say the truth? I haven't seen 300 yet. I was sick the day my friends went to see it and now I'm waiting for it to be on TV as I am too lazy to go alone.

Balkash
2007-11-26, 05:43 PM
Despite anyone else's complaints, I think it is a worthwhile PrC. I know one of my players who would love it. And just because it has been nagging me, the name didn't happen by chance to have come from 300, would it?

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 05:52 PM
As said, haven't seen 300 yet. so thats a no.

Anyway, its a fun thing to play (you can't kill me, ever, even if I don't respond, you silly goblin...)

It will truly shine in low-magic setting, where raising the dead is not common. in these settings you want to be harder to kill, and this PrC takes it as far as possible.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-11-26, 06:16 PM
To be true immortals, one should probably also include provisions against ability damage, level drain, and disease/poison.

Fast healing at higher levels could be beefed to include healing some ability damage on some sort of timescale starting at level 3 or 4, maybe immune to poisons/disease around 6 or 7, and at level 10 'immortal soul' where the immortal is immune to negative levels.

I might also include the special ability 'mettle' from the paladin/cleric book. It is a feat that allows for the user to just stand and take it instead of dodging out of the way. In such cases, the subject is able to substitute their fortitude save for any reflex save if they just stand their ground (doesn't help against arrow traps or avoiding being crushed by walls, but does work against lightning bolts and fireballs and even dragon's breath). One might think that guys who are infused with regenerative ability would learn to use that ability to cover up and just take it relying on their ability to heal to recover damage taken rather than worrying about getting out of the way.

I don't think that those additions would make them too overpowered, since the abilities are mainly defensive in nature and just make them harder to kill...they still are really just meat shields with the fighting prowess of a cleric who is out of spells.

Without some sort of extra defense, they are no better than several lower level fighters who take turns attacking.

BTW...I might change weapon expertise to power attack...those that would not fear anything and could regenerate would do well to ignore their own safety and rely on shear damage to take down their enemies fast and then regenerate for the next battle. Perhaps the opposite of expertise would be fitting, one in which they can sacrifice AC for to hit or damage.

An immortal would be well advised to get some sort of crit or damage mitigation like from adamant or other magic armor. Any amount of mitigation would essentially be that many more hitpoints.

boomwolf
2007-11-26, 06:58 PM
Some very intresting ideas.
Its late now (2am) so i'll remodel the immortal a little later on.

BTW, mettle is something else.
I think there is such a feat called "Jest take it" somewhere that does that. but not sure where. and now I can't find it.

Collin152
2007-11-26, 07:51 PM
Ah, nothing beats a character what can't be killed. Monks, Warlocks, and now Immortals. I love it, though it seems a bit over the top. Combining diehard with that much more room before death, plus fast healing to counter damage from not being stabilized...
This could be the tankiest tank that ever tanked. Just be sure to carry a crossbow.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-11-26, 11:13 PM
Ah, right...I am thinking of something else too but I am not sure what. Mettle is the same as evasion but works for fort and reflex saves.

one minor point that needs to be addressed...their abilities to heal, regrow limbs, and res themselves...are these extraordinary abilities, supernatural abilities, spell-like abilities?

if they are (Ex), they will continue to function in anti magic zones, but if they are supernatural they won't, and can even be supressed in other ways...

Hmm...an immortal/fighter/mage hunter with some anti magic tech would be hell on wheels...

I couldn't really picture these guys being in any large numbers...for starters...one must be at least 5th level to be a 1st level immortal byut he current writeup...so in most kingdoms, any core of immortals would be very small, a few hundered even in the largest kingdom...but man...what a force the core would make. In any low magic game, they would be a true monstrosity.

One thing that also must be addressed...what is the classes background? and more importantly...what the hell gives them the ability to regenerate like that?!?!

It could be a blessing, a pact of some sort, ancient rituals, high magic, or something darker like they need to imbibe the life force of a certian creature that has such capabilities...like a troll, or an angel/demon...

Collin152
2007-11-26, 11:48 PM
And if they became immune to aging... a kingdom could, over the years, accumulate an entire army of Immortal warriors. So, If you had a magic ring, the arm got chopped off, and you grew a new one, what kind of action would it take to take the ring off the hand and put it on your new one? Or, more practically, for you to put it on your other hand while the arm regrows.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-11-27, 01:00 AM
And if they became immune to aging... a kingdom could, over the years, accumulate an entire army of Immortal warriors. So, If you had a magic ring, the arm got chopped off, and you grew a new one, what kind of action would it take to take the ring off the hand and put it on your new one? Or, more practically, for you to put it on your other hand while the arm regrows.

timeless body like monks would be interesting...bt would they just stop aging with a natural lifespan, or gain longevity?

just curious..how many people will be wanting to create rangers or monks who become immortals and specialize in using bladed gauntlets?

for flavor...would an immortal feel pain as we do? Would everything still hurt them just the same, or would it be deadened...just because you heal it instantly and you get 'used' to it doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt like hell. torture might be especially problematic since they could do ANYTHING to you pretty much and you wouldn't die. might be enough to drive anyone insane...

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-11-27, 05:04 AM
Let's assume we have a human fighter 4/immortal 6 with a constitution of 18 total. That's 4d10+6d12+40 for an average of 104 HP and a maximum of 155 HP.

Mr lvl 10 wizard that specialises in scorching rays (arcane thesis) casts an empowered maximised scorching ray followed by celerity and another maximised empowered scorchign ray. That is 186 points of damage on average, enough to kill Mr Immortal outright with no save.

Mr lvl 10 wizard casts dominate person. A DC 20 or more will save is required or Mr Immortal is bound to serve Mr wizard for the next 10 days.

Mr lvl 10 wizard casts glitterdust. That "wall" of immortals must have each member do a DC 18 or higher will save or get blinded.

boomwolf
2007-11-27, 05:31 AM
Most are Ex abilities or normal abilitys. resurrection is a Su.

Backround. well, I dislike putting in a background for classes, as it prevents the DM's from using it freely.

But immortals feel pain. but ignores it like the trained soldiers they are. naturally the pain goes away faster as the wounds heal. but never thought on what will happen on torture. on the other hand, you get alot of time to escape as you never black out. and you are never too wounded to get away.

Collin152-that is why they are not immune to aging. I don't want endless armies of soldiers that heal in impossible speed.

A small core of a few hundred Immortals...Any nation can live with that.

Anyway, I am now thinkering a few changes to the immortal...but It'll take some time.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-11-27, 05:42 AM
As a side note...I think that any immortal who gets -15 as their death number becomes 'immune' to any sort of instant death spell...well, a few at least...don't most death effects reduce the subject to -10 HP? Also..does fast healing count as instant stabilization?

I might suggest a few dry runs of combat between an 'immortal' and a PC of similar level and comparably equipped. Then maybe a few combats between immortal and a small party and encounters with creatures...say, a combat between mass lowbies and the party, and then a combat between a party and a single tough monster.

Oooh...an interesting idea...isn't there a magic item, a ring I think, that transferrs damage from one character to another? use that in a party with an immortal...that would be fun...takes some of the load of the healer...even better if the magic item can do that to many people...an item like that and a party with an immortal and a warlock can adventure pretty much non-stop barring rest and never worry about being out of HP or short of magical support.

Kyace
2007-11-27, 05:50 AM
Normally, a death effect kills you outright, there is just a sub-clause that should the HP matter, a dead character is considered to have -10 HP no matter how they died. They have -10 HP because they died, not the other way around, for death effects/attacks.

In case it matters, a dead character, no matter how she died, has -10 hit points.

boomwolf
2007-11-27, 06:31 AM
Unfortunatly, the "golden rule of magic" (MTG) also applies in DnD.

Every rule can be broken.

The immortal drops to -10 hp from death attacks. but he isn't dead yet. it makes a conflict between the two abilities.

So. what happens when these two collide?

In THIS case, he still dies. but with other wording (I avoided on purpose.) he would have survived it.

On another note, I am now going to edit the class a little. providing it some anti-magic protection. and it will allow him to survive death attacks. for a limited number of times.

Alex12
2007-11-27, 08:13 AM
Maybe they should also have some kind of reckless attack ability, like they know they'll heal quickly, so they sacrifice AC for extra to-hit and damage? Plus, consider the more realistic aspects. They could march for days without tiring, they'd be exceptionally strong because it's in healing that muscles grow stronger, their poison and disease resistance would probably be huge, but they'd have insane metabolisms (perhaps to get the fast healing, they need to eat as if they were one size category larger, or something)
Maybe also some kind of armor-related Dex advantage, like your maximum effective Dex modifier is one higher than normal for that armor if wearing medium or heavy armor (because you've got extensive training with it)

Also, I still say you should add Stand Still in there.

Dikastis
2007-11-27, 11:30 AM
I disagree with Alex12 on the bonus to poison and disease resistance since if you counter that with insane appetites, the party will have to subsidize his food and on adventures, if the cleric and arcane casters are out of spells which create food, he'd just end up consuming the party's rations. And i can imagine the cost of feeding an army of Immortals.

Alex12
2007-11-27, 11:45 AM
I disagree with Alex12 on the bonus to poison and disease resistance since if you counter that with insane appetites, the party will have to subsidize his food and on adventures, if the cleric and arcane casters are out of spells which create food, he'd just end up consuming the party's rations. And i can imagine the cost of feeding an army of Immortals.

Actually, that was something of a different idea. Just the mass and energy needed to heal that fast would be significant. Additionally, I wasn't thinking about something like needing to eat a full banquet each meal or something, more along the lines of needing twice as much food as someone who didn't heal so fast.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-11-27, 04:59 PM
Actually, that was something of a different idea. Just the mass and energy needed to heal that fast would be significant. Additionally, I wasn't thinking about something like needing to eat a full banquet each meal or something, more along the lines of needing twice as much food as someone who didn't heal so fast.

this is a world of magic...it doesn't have to make 100% sense in our understanding of biology. However, a ring of sustenance is easy enough to come by. Could be a prerequisite for the class to procure one else the change to your physiology would starve you instantly.

There is precident for objects or odd happenings to be required for a prestige class. That would be no different. Sacrificing a ring slot for an uber ring of regeneration in class abilities would be a fine tradeoff.

I would say that if they could regenerate and were all at least 5th level, immortals would fight with dual weapons, or with two handers and not care as much for their own safety. A crew of 20 or so in a large battle would do well to rotate out the front line and allow the back ranks to heal and then switch again...

hmm...fast healing is cool and all, but maybe we are giving it too much credit...at higher levels it is awesome, but at lower levels of fast healing, it is only good for an extra hit maybe 2 and healing between fights. An immortal (4/1 with decent con) with 60 HP who is taken down to neagtive HP will take 2-6 minutes before they will be at 'fighting' strength again barring magical healing. a first level immortal, 20 rounds to about 20 HP...that is forever on a dnd battlefield...hmm...would that monk ability be too powerful combined with their fast healing? the one that lets them heal twice their level in HP suddenly?

So many options...balancing a new class is always very problematic. You always use some of the existing classes and prestige classes as benchmarks, but some of the prestige classes blow and some are uber in terms of usefulness...so it is hard to get a baseline for what is 'good'.

Hmm...maybe I'll try and convert the old 'Dragonslayer' kit from Council of Wyrms to 3.5 as a prestige class.

Katasi
2008-01-02, 02:33 AM
This class seems like it could be HORRID if combined with a knight- almost unkillable AND it forces the opponent to attack them.

arkanis
2008-01-02, 01:25 PM
This concept is freak'n awesome.

I do have some questions.

Solid Stand
What does this have to do with being immortal and why +3? Wouldn't you just go +4 like the Stability ability?

Force March
Very cool, just like the scene from LOTR where Sauron knocks a dozen people back with one blow.

Magical Shunt
I would rather you have just put normal Spell Resistance on them. This seems hurtful to casters and if they have to make a check to suppress their own ability it seems more like a curse. If immortality is a curse, I'd like all their other abilities to have drawbacks too (though the benefits outweigh them).

Deathless
Nice. But what if the immortal is currently below 1 hit point when this thing is cast upon him?

Self Resurrection
Seems redundant to me since they already get Deathless and an expanded Deathpoint. If you keep this ability anyway I'd suggest some rewording instead of a list of prerequisites like:
Once per week whenever the immortal is killed, they are automatically resurrected as if by the resurrection spell. The immortal may delay this resurrection for up to one week if they desire. If the immortal has been dead for more than a week or if their body has been destroyed (such as by having it devoured, burned, or affected by a disintegrate spell), this ability does not take effect. The effective caster level for this ability is equal to the immortal's class level.

Tyonisius
2008-01-03, 12:23 AM
Very nice idea. When I first started reading about it I thought it was going to be a highlanderish PrC. It kind of makes me want to make a Highlander PrC for my upcoming campaign.... anyway, good ideas... I might even say that it should have saves equal to the monks to increase it's longivety. As is it does seem kind of weak to me. Anyway, good luck.

Cieyrin
2008-01-08, 12:18 AM
Magical Shunt: (Su)
Starting from 8th level every spell cast upon the Immortal have a chance to fail equal to the Immortal's class level. this include both friendly and hostile spells.
The immortal can take a concentration check (DC= 20+immortal class level) to remove it for 1 round, this check takes a full round.

What exactly do you mean by a chance for it to fail? Is it a percent chance equal to the level, 8% in this case, which seems rather ineffectual to me, or something else, like SR, which would make what you're attempting with this ability simple without being overly vague.

boomwolf
2008-01-08, 12:56 AM
yes. a lvl 8 has an 8% chance of shunting the spell.

Its not that strong, but it provides some resistanec to death magic and other harmful effects.

As for the deathless ability-it note "Is lowered" not "is changed", so it wont bring him higher.

FlyMolo
2008-01-12, 07:37 PM
This is not that good for your average character. Fighters and barbarians will dip in it for the FH, but it's a rare character who'll take 10 levels of this. Fun to give a villain, though.

Yakk
2008-01-13, 04:22 PM
Requirements:
BaB: +5 BaB
Feats: Endurance, Diehard
Proficiency: Heavy Armor
Special: Must have died and been resurrected.

Features:
HD: d12
BaB: +1 per level

The Immortals Psionic stat is Charisma for the purpose of extra PsiPoints per day.

Skills: 2+Int per level
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Autohypnosis, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Swim, Craft, Profession[Soldier], Spot, Listen
Saves: Fort, Will strong, Reflex weak.

Level PsiPoints Abilities
1 5 Vigor
2 10 Fast Healing
3 15 Unstoppable
4 20 Indestructible
5 30 Regrowth
6 40 Beyond Death
7 55 Swift Vigor
8 70 Improved Fast Healing
9 85 Unbreakable
10 100 Unkillable

Your manifestation level for Immortal abilities is the sum of twice your immortal level, plus any other manifester levels, but never more than your character level.

Immortal Abilities:
Vigor: As the Psionic Warrior ability of the same name.

Fast Healing: Gain +1 fast healing per level of Immortal.

Unstoppable: As a non-action, can burn 1 power point to prevent 1 point of damage. In addition, as a swift action, can burn 1 power point to heal 2 points of damage, to a max of the Immortal's manifester level.

Indestructable:
Level: Immortal 4
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round
Power Points: 7

Gain DR 5/- and a +5 deflection bonus to AC.

Augment:
For every 3 additional power points, gain an additional 1 AC and 1 DR.

Regrowth: You can regrow a limb in 2d6 hours. This time can be reduced by 1 hour for every 2 power points expended, up to your manifester level in power points. Roll the regeneration time when you lose the limb, and spend the power points at that time as well.

You may also as a standard action burn 3 power points to heal 1 point of ability damage or drain, up to your manifester level per action.

Beyond Death: Immune to all Death effects and spells, Massive Damage, and cannot be Coup de Graced.

Swift Vigor: You may use your Vigor ability as a Swift action for no additional power points.

Improved Fast Healing: Gain Fast Healing 15 at level 8, Fast Healing 20 at level 9 and Fast Healing 25 at level 10

Unbreakable: As a non-action, you burn power points to give yourself a retroactive boost to a save you just rolled and would otherwise have failed. You lose 2 power points for every 1 you missed your save by, up to your manifester level. If this isn't enough to pass the save, you lose your manifester level in power points regardless.

Unkillable: Whenever your character is reduced to 0 HP or killed with at least 30 power points remaining, your character loses half of their power points and is immediately ressurecected at a number of HP equal to the power points expended.

Yakk
2008-01-13, 04:36 PM
How about my Psi variant? It is hard to kill -- you do need to spend your other levels making yourself a threat -- but I don't think it is overly gross.

Mixing it with another Psi class has benefits, but even if you go into it direction from Fighter you end up with a class that works, thanks to the "double manifester level catchup" clause I added.

He's be one tough cookie to kill. :)

Reptilius
2008-01-13, 04:37 PM
yes. a lvl 8 has an 8% chance of shunting the spell.

Its not that strong, but it provides some resistance to death magic and other harmful effects.

How about 2% per level? That makes it more significant, but not overly massive.

Chronicled
2008-01-13, 05:01 PM
How about my Psi variant? It is hard to kill -- you do need to spend your other levels making yourself a threat -- but I don't think it is overly gross.

Mixing it with another Psi class has benefits, but even if you go into it direction from Fighter you end up with a class that works, thanks to the "double manifester level catchup" clause I added.

He's be one tough cookie to kill. :)

I rather like it, but it's good enough to warrant losing a manifester level or 2... maybe even 3. Alternatively/additionally, medium BAB is probably going to be needed.

Also, why Charisma for the PP stat?

Yakk
2008-01-14, 11:16 AM
You don't gain any powers from other classes in the Immortal class. Your Immortal manifester level is high. You do gain a manifester level for other class's abilities, but you don't gain any additional abilities from that class.

The Immortal specials are nice, but they are all defensive. Levels 1 through 3 give you sub-par abilities (for the level that you need to enter the Immortal class). The level 4 ability is slightly better than a level 4 Psionic Warrior ability.

You gain slightly more Psi points than you would from L 6 through 16 as a Psionic Warrior.

And, in order to go into it from Psionic Warrior, you need to be level 7. From fighter, level 5.

Psi Warrior 7/Immortal 10 has:
+15.25 BaB

Psi Warrior 17 has:
+13.75 BaB

So that's a difference of +1.5 BaB over the Psi Warrior.

Also, compare it to the War Mind:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm
or the slayer:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm

Both of these classes have a decent set of powers from either a previous class or their own progression, and both have rather high-end built-in abilities even without those powers, and both are full-BaB classes.

This class works when you mix it with a psionic class, and I don't think it would be that much better than the existing alternatives -- but it is aimed at a non-psionic class. I use the psionic mechanics in order to give a limit to the amount of "immortality" the character has and provide mechanics for it.