PDA

View Full Version : Obtain Familiar feat and ACF's

YellowJohn
2022-05-16, 07:08 AM
I have a wizard who has traded their familiar away for an ACF.

If I take the 'Obtain Familiar' feat, could I trade my new familiar away for a different ACF?

redking
2022-05-16, 07:12 AM
If I take the 'Obtain Familiar' feat, could I trade my new familiar away for a different ACF?

No. You can only trade away the class feature.

YellowJohn
2022-05-16, 11:20 AM
Makes sense. Thanks.

EndlessKng
2022-05-16, 11:31 AM
No. You can only trade away the class feature.

Follow-up question: If you then took a second class with the Familiar feature (say, Sorcerer), could you still trade that version of Familiar away for a DIFFERENT class feature?

YellowJohn
2022-05-16, 11:50 AM
Yes.

The only time you might get in trouble with this is if you try trading it out for a different copy of the same class feature.

EndlessKng
2022-05-16, 12:50 PM
Yes.

The only time you might get in trouble with this is if you try trading it out for a different copy of the same class feature.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue in some cases, though if it's a feature that scales with class level it may also be the case that doing so would let you combine the levels for that feature (not sure if there's a specific example in the game or not, but it could happen).

redking
2022-05-16, 10:44 PM
Follow-up question: If you then took a second class with the Familiar feature (say, Sorcerer), could you still trade that version of Familiar away for a DIFFERENT class feature?

I think you could, but if the second class was Sorcerer and yon traded away your familiar on that too, then the ACF would have to be a Sorcerer ACF, not your first class Wizard ACF.